It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud boom still unexplained

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Loud boom still unexplained

www.thehawkeye.com

Mysterious booms heard south of Burlington Saturday night have many residents scratching their heads.
Law enforcement dispatchers said residents in Wever, West Point, Fort Madison and Keokuk reported hearing a loud noise -- strong enough to shake a house -- between 6:30 and 7 p.m. followed by other lesser booms at varying times Saturday night.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
By reading the reader submitted comments at the bottom of the news article, it sounds as if this boom was heard from St Louis, MO all the way to Des Moines, IA, a distance of about 400 miles. I'm guessing some form of military test, but I'm submitting this because I heard of a similar incident recently and thought maybe this was becoming more commonplace. The next generation of fighters? American Flying Saucers, perhaps?

www.thehawkeye.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
should fly some helicopters around the location try to find what it was?

cool news

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
A sonic boom would be powerful enough to shake houses, and cover a footprint that big. The footprint can cover a lot of ground, and can actually cause structural damage if the conditions are right. It was probably military aircraft doing training, and going supersonic.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
A sonic boom would be powerful enough to shake houses, and cover a footprint that big. The footprint can cover a lot of ground, and can actually cause structural damage if the conditions are right. It was probably military aircraft doing training, and going supersonic.

I was thinking the same thing could of been a sonic boom, If you ever experienced one you would know how this could be considered odd to somebody who never has.

Is there any military locations near by?

[edit on 27-12-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Whiteman AFB is in the middle of MO but they primarily have B-2 Spirit bombers.

Also Scott AFB in Southern IL.

[edit on 12/27/08 by emsed1]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Boeing Fighter is in the St Louis area, as well as the Missouri ANG in that area. As well as several other Air Force bases in that general area.

[edit on 12/27/2008 by Zaphod58]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Boeing Fighter is in St Louis, as well as the Missouri ANG in that area. As well as several other Air Force bases in that general area.

When F-18s haul butt out of Lambert and do a max-performance climbout they pretty much shake the ground.

I suppose that's possible, but there's also an Ammo dump in Iowa near there.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
400 miles? I dunno thats several times the size of my state even. I dont believe sonic booms travel 400 miles to the point people hear it and think its odd. I hear booms out back all the time from trash cans or whatever and dont know what it is. I dont think its odd. Couple hundred miles or less? Maybe.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I live in Ca and two weeks ago we had a boom - more like a double boom.
Made other sonic booms I have experienced sound like toilet noises.
In fact it brought most of my neighbors out...

Seemed to make the frame of the house bend a tad, because I have been hearing settling noises ever since.

???

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
If it were a sonic boom it is plausible it would be heard over a large area. The acoustic waves roll out from the aircraft like the bow of a boat.

If the aircraft were transonic or supersonic under 40,000 ft the wave could roll across the state.

It would be interesting to see how far apart time-wise the subjective noises were.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Loud boom and earthquake also in PA today.
We are rockin and rollin all over the world the last couple months - in unusual areas.
Also big stuff in Marshall Islands - large waves - big quakes around area
military?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
If it were a sonic boom it is plausible it would be heard over a large area. The acoustic waves roll out from the aircraft like the bow of a boat.

If the aircraft were transonic or supersonic under 40,000 ft the wave could roll across the state.

It would be interesting to see how far apart time-wise the subjective noises were.

also altitude should be considered a contributing factor

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by emsed1

also altitude should be considered a contributing factor

Yep, I just read an article that says the boom 'carpet' is about 1 mile wide for each 1000 feet of altitude. If it were at 30,000 feet it would be a 30 mile wide 'carpet boom' moving at around 700 mph.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Sonic booms can travel 250-300 miles, strongly enough to shake walls. One of the reasons the Concorde was never popular (besides ticket prices) is because it had to fly so far out to sea before it could go supersonic, and have to decelerate so far out when it was coming back over land. The size of the boom has a lot to do with the shape, and size of the aircraft creating it. The standard is an F-18 Hornet at 40,000 feet. At that altitude, the sonic boom is about 50 miles wide. The area that is covered will depend on atmospheric conditions between the aircraft and the ground.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Bald Champion

Seemed to make the frame of the house bend a tad, because I have been hearing settling noises ever since.

???

The Space Shuttle landed at Edwards AFB a couple weeks ago. I think it's been 9 years since the last time. Every one I've heard gave off a seriously loud "double".

*not related to the OP*, just a fun fact.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore

The Space Shuttle landed at Edwards AFB a couple weeks ago. I think it's been 9 years since the last time. Every one I've heard gave off a seriously loud "double".

Yeah I was lucky enough back in the 80's to be whithin 10 miles of one landing up in the high desert

My uncle was just telling us kids about the landing that day then looked at his watch and said we should hear it right about BOOM

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Tippys Dad

One other possibility that accounts for the "other smaller" booms heard after the first, would be a meteor that fragmented just prior to entry.

I believe several people reported similar circumstances related to the meteor that struck Western Canada a couple of weeks ago, although it fragmented after entering the atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore

Originally posted by The Bald Champion

???

Thanks

Two lines!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by Tippys Dad

One other possibility that accounts for the "other smaller" booms heard after the first, would be a meteor that fragmented just prior to entry.

I believe several people reported similar circumstances related to the meteor that struck Western Canada a couple of weeks ago, although it fragmented after entering the atmosphere.

I just read a news story from Edmonton about that. It was apparently quite the boom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join