It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Jeb Bush wants Illegal Immigrants to get Driver's Licenses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What to think about this one? hmmmm...tough decision. Should Illegals get driver's licenses? How does an illegal get a driver's license anyways? They would need an employee ID card or taxpayer number, how do they get one if they are illegal? This doesn't make sense to me...wonder's if it make sense to big brother George???

Illegal Immigrants Could Get Licenses Under Bill Backed by Florida's Gov. Jeb Bush
Gov. Jeb Bush endorsed a bill to allow illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses, saying they are in the state anyway and officials should accept that fact.
The bill he is backing has enough safeguards that it would ensure terrorists are not getting licenses, Bush said Monday.

"We shouldn't allow them to come into the country to begin with, but once they're here, what do you do? Do you basically say that they're lepers to society? That they don't exist?" he asked. "A policy that ignores them is a policy of denial."

Sen. Mike Haridopolos opposes the bill, saying the state shouldn't be doing favors for people who came here illegally.

"Illegal equals illegal. These persons who come into the country illegally are a major threat to the United States," Haridopolos said. "If they're driving, they should arrest them on the spot, put them in the back of a squad car and put them out of the country."

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
WTF IS UP WITH THE BUSHS AND HELPING ILLEGALS?!?!? WHY NOT HELP THE AMERICAN PPL FOR A CHANGE INSTEAD OF SOME FOREIGN CRIMINAL?!?!?!?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What, you didn't catch teh same move by Gray-Out Davis a few months ago? Man, only when a Republican plays stupid do some of you pay attention!

As far as Jeb goes, I don't think he's playing. Some think the boy is the 2008 Republican candidate. Please, God, take me before then!

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I thought vote buying from illegals only went to the Democrats.

I guess I was wrong. Jeb is an idiot.

NO PRIVILEDGE SHOULD BE EXTENDED TO ILLEGALS.

There is a controversy about them getting basic rights (trial, etc). When the hell did we start giving a rat's ass what they want.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
oh no I caught the same move by Cali's Arnie, and other states have or are currently facing the issue. I just don't see the logic? where are they getting employee id cards and taxpayer id's from if they are illegal? They shouldn't be working and the companies hiring them? I'm missing something here..........
[from the above article]
Elsewhere, Illinois lawmakers last week overwhelming rejected letting illegal immigrants obtain driver's licenses. Arizona legislators are moving to toughen the state's requirement that driver's license applicants provide proof of authorized presence in the United States.

In Tennessee, Gov. Phil Bredesen is supporting a proposal that would prohibit illegal immigrants from getting driver's licenses, but would allow them to obtain "certificates for driving."

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yup I've got to agree that no matter which side of the fence your on this is assinine to say the least, What bothers me is the fact that these people Have broken the law here and local/state sworn officers ignore this because of social reason of community cooperation, but let a U.S. born citizen go get a drivers license or renewel with a traffic warrant and see how fast you end up in custody at your local jail. That is a travesty of the system, I blame both parties for this problem recently, the dems for teaching the republicans how in the past.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I went to get a TDL renewal a while back and it took quite a while, about 3 hours. I got to the Department of Public Saftey office at about 6:30AM, 30 minutes early, they opened at 7:00. I expected to be first in line and I had a 9:00AM appointment to rekey some saftey deposit boxes at a local bank. I was about the twenty-fifth person that day to be served. The people in front of me were all spanish. I asked one person in front of me to save my place but he did not understand what I was saying. Get the point? It has been this way in Houston for years. Nothing new here. Bush is simply doing the same thing that has been allowed by the state government for the last 25 years. When GWB was Governer here he did nothing to resolve this problem and his brother is doing the same thing. Welcome to the world.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The sad thing is I used to consider myself a "republican". Bush and company seem to be making so many deviant moves , in the foreign and domestic realms, it leaves on with a disgusting taste in their mouth.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well, since in Florida they from Cuba. So what do you do? Can't make the Great Wall of America, for that blocks out the mexicans, but not cubans. I know! Breed thousands of sharks and let them loose near the cuban waters. That way when they swim over they eaten before they get here and make this place more of a # hole. Why do illegals get all these rights? Whats next? Should a fugitive(man who commited a crime and has not yet been caught) be allowed to get a drivers liscense without getting in trouble? Should someone be allowed to get a drivers liscense even though they smoking crack at the time of the test?

Sorry, but illegals should be found and shipped out. Not back home, no no no no no NO! They want out, mess with them. Ship them to Africa, China, Antartica, some other hell hole of the world.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut
I went to get a TDL renewal a while back and it took quite a while, about 3 hours. I got to the Department of Public Saftey office at about 6:30AM, 30 minutes early, they opened at 7:00. I expected to be first in line and I had a 9:00AM appointment to rekey some saftey deposit boxes at a local bank. I was about the twenty-fifth person that day to be served. The people in front of me were all spanish. I asked one person in front of me to save my place but he did not understand what I was saying. Get the point? It has been this way in Houston for years. Nothing new here. Bush is simply doing the same thing that has been allowed by the state government for the last 25 years. When GWB was Governer here he did nothing to resolve this problem and his brother is doing the same thing. Welcome to the world.

As one who has lived in Texas as recently as 1997 I can remmember immigration hitting the Arrow foods plant in Carrollton on beltline road in 1982 or so when things were different under Reagan. They ran like the dickens thru my workplace down the road and onto a golf course where they were finally all caught.

Not like that now is it? Guess the vote is more important than borders or national security, only problem I have is it would be even worse under democRatic rule.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Well, since in Florida they from Cuba. So what do you do? Can't make the Great Wall of America, for that blocks out the mexicans, but not cubans. I know! Breed thousands of sharks and let them loose near the cuban waters. That way when they swim over they eaten before they get here and make this place more of a # hole. Why do illegals get all these rights? Whats next? Should a fugitive(man who commited a crime and has not yet been caught) be allowed to get a drivers liscense without getting in trouble? Should someone be allowed to get a drivers liscense even though they smoking crack at the time of the test?

Sorry, but illegals should be found and shipped out. Not back home, no no no no no NO! They want out, mess with them. Ship them to Africa, China, Antartica, some other hell hole of the world.

I agree with you 150%. I saw an episode of Law and Order on time when one of the dectectives asked "What happened to 'Bring me your tired, weak and hungry yearning to be free?', and the other cop said "Now it says no Vacancy."(god I love that show). We have such a larger Mexican population here in Virginia that it ain't funny. I don't mind if they come across LEGALY, but to sneak across just pisses me off. Is it so bad that they have to come here. Now I ain't been to Mexico, so I don't know what conditions are like, but they need to wait their turn just like everyone else. and I think that they should be shipped out if their caught. Like to Antartica to shovel snow or somthing like that. As for them having rights, I don't know about that, they came across illegaly, which to me surrenders any rights they had if they would have just waited to come in legaly. The only right they have is to be deported or to stand trial and the rights associated with that if they commit a crime. Then after the jail sentance, ship them out. Or even better, have them serve the jail sentance in the country they came from. Just my $0.02 worth. -Muzz

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by muzz]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
(Quote)
As one who has lived in Texas as recently as 1997 I can remmember immigration hitting the Arrow foods plant in Carrollton on beltline road in 1982 or so when things were different under Reagan. They ran like the dickens thru my workplace down the road and onto a golf course where they were finally all caught.

Not like that now is it? Guess the vote is more important than borders or national security, only problem I have is it would be even worse under democRatic rule.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you driven down South Post Oak in a pick up at 7:00AM lately! LOL!!!

BTW, I'm an Independent. Never cared much for Democrats. Bush puts the Republican party to shame. I wish the Independant party could make a difference but that wont happen in my lifetime, I'm too old.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut
(Quote)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you driven down South Post Oak in a pick up at 7:00AM lately! LOL!!!

BTW, I'm an Independent. Never cared much for Democrats. Bush puts the Republican party to shame. I wish the Independant party could make a difference but that wont happen in my lifetime, I'm too old.

No unfortunatly I had to relocate for work to the Atlanta area for work in 97' , I'm a yankee that moved to Texas in 79" and would really rather live no place else. Really love the Tyler area - maybe retire there.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
no one has helped me understand this yet.

How does an illegal get an employee ID card or tax payer ID if they are illegal??????

i just don't understand that. I know there are ways to obtain these things illegally, but what exactly is the florida govt saying? GO AHEAD, GET A JOB ILLEGALLY? and then we give you a license?????

WTF? I am so confused.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
lemme guess you're all as confused as me

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Oh jeeze, first California, the Mass, now Florida...I hope GW goes over to Jeb's house and beats him up or something. And Illinois, my dear state, is talking about doing the same thing. Frickin' California is starting national policy by breaking federal laws with their local mandates. What's next, murder is ok, as long as you have a murder liscense? After all, people are going to do it anyway, the state may as well profit from it...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
FLorida really needs a big hurricane to put an end to its popultion explosion. You have to make appointment at least 2 weeks in advanced for the Department of Motor Vehicles. Illegals better go somewhere else to get their IDs because the sytem is already backed up beyond belief.

There is a law here(FL) that you have to get your liscence changed within a month of moving, change of address, with more and more people getting IDs, it will become impossible to get an appointment with the DMV in time.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by jrod]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm just wondering if I can give up my citizenship and become an illegal.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
I'm just wondering if I can give up my citizenship and become an illegal.

It seems to have begun to work out that you get more benefits being illegal...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Maybe, just maybe it's a ploy to get all of the illegals to go to the DMV to get licenses and then have INS secretly grab them up and ship them back to where ever they came from. Or to Antartica. But I think that I am giving Jeb a little to much credit. -Muzz

*EDIT: Spelling errors*

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by muzz]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join