It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists plan to ignite tiny man-made star

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It is science’s star experiment: an attempt to create an artificial sun on earth — and provide an answer to the world’s impending energy shortage.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

If this works it could mean the beginning of the end of oil and coal. When we split the atom it was "WOW", but to harness the power of a man made sun.

If this doesn't get ET's attention nothing will.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by Tinman67]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
can j00 say "The Lucifer Project"?
www.google.com...

hey a lil pre-game practice back home never hurt... er...

goodbye Saturn - helllllew Lucy! I'm a-HOME!

-

[edit on 27-12-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Gosh, didn't learn anything from Doc Oc. ''IT WILL ONLY CONSUME YOU!'' Most likly it wont hert but i remember the atomic energy was a great discovery for man. '' WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY''

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Good thinking. I was actually thinking along the lines of Dyson Sphere. I found it odd that recently we were looking for them and then this comes along.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightpoundworld
Gosh, didn't learn anything from Doc Oc. ''IT WILL ONLY CONSUME YOU!'' Most likly it wont hert but i remember the atomic energy was a great discovery for man. '' WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY''

I'll play along with this one with one of the best lines from that movie:
"The power of the sun in the palm of my hands."

Why is mankind hellbent on destroying itself and planet?

I dont care what the practical application or the best of intentions this is being developed under, this will be turned into a WMD. Nothing of power has ever been created that wasnt turned into a weapon. Bones and stones were sharpened leading to piercing and slashing weapons. Metal replaced these to make arrows and swords. Gunpowder was created and its use in glorious displays of fire in the sky became the fuel for cannons, explosives and firearms. Splitting the atom was supposed to be used for the production of energy for the world, instead became the most destructive force in the history of mankind. Now, they want to create something that makes an atomic bomb look like a firecracker by comparison.

Is there anything created for reasons of purity that cannot be weaponized and used against another human being? Is there any limit to their attempts?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I read the article, but I couldn't find out where they were doing this. AT oxford or is it just an oxford project? I could have missed it if anyone knows please share as there are people who would like to know if there's a sun being born in their backyard, or whrere they walk their dog, ya know?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
My understanding is it will be in the test chamber at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in Livermore, California.

See the Photo in the article.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
If you want to harness the energy of the Sun:
Get inside it!
Dyson's sphere is a very stupid project, it would exhaust the power of the Sun just to create it.
It is just mimicking common political agenda which eats all to sustain itself and then collapses at its peak starved to death.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Damn another reason for crazies to say the world is going to end...point already proven.Anyway...good op! science once again slowly but surely doing things once thought incomphrensible.Since stars are the nuclear and chemical combustion engines of the universe will be good to see how they react on a smaller scale...since we dont know much about the sun itself still.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Wouldn't it depend on the size of the sun/star and the size of the sphere?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

I didn't mean that literally.
It's just the wrong concept. Because, you want to keep human form and at the same time tap such a huge resource of energy. It is totally out of proportion. It is megalomania.
Why not try to get closer to the Sun. Now that would be an accomplishment.
And probably much less trouble.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is amazing. How I've longed for such an event to occur. When I first learned of the LHC I was so hopeful that the human race was finally going to have a major scientific breakthrough, and now this? An actual man-made star. What else is there to say besides this is going to be one of the greatest crowning achievements of our time. These are truly wonderful and historic days were are living.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PuzzleMaster

LHC is still a failure. I think you are rejoicing in advance.
Besides, it's gonna be controlled by immoral people. Too bad.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Failure is an important part of achievement. When LHC starts up again we will see if they succeed this time. When this fusion experiment happens, if it fails something will be learned.
As for immorality, I can't say. I can only hope.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
How com I never heard about this Laser explosion to make a mini sun before?
Why is it I just find out about this now?
I heard about the LHC years before it was even started.
These guys are like almost finished this thing.
It scares me they are going to try and do this.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

All right. I don't want to be negative. I'm all for science and knowledge. But for dubious application... There should go our effort in the first place.
My humble opinion.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Are we trying to create little mini Universes? I mean with LHC attempting to recreate the moment before existence came into reality and now making a little sun? Is this for real or just something to blame other bigger mistakes on? I am a triple Leo and so have an affinity for the sun, but this is exciting and weird.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

In order to create a thermonuclear reaction you need a very high temperature. That's why an H bomb is ignited by a nuclear bomb. But, that's a bomb.
So they're trying to use another source to achieve high temperature, and lasers are the possible solution. They also need a way to contain it in one place, the fusion reaction. Magnetism? It needs to be suspended or else it'll burn its own environment without control. Or a way to immediately use it by directing it towards its utilization. Too complicated for a layman to understand I guess.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

If dubious applications should keep any science from advancing we would not move forward anymore. Military uses for anything "scientific" are always possible, but not always realistic.
If anything one should be worried about it will be in the field of genetics and robotics.
But, as always, I appreciate the devils advocate.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinman67

If this doesn't get ET's attention nothing will.

Judging by the Falcon Lake UFO case, ETs already have their own fusion reactor. I doubt this experiment will succeed if they base it on the gaseous sun model.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join