It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how small has your local classified ads become???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Any one else notice this??!! we have a weekly mailer here where i live..usually full of ads and so on..jobs, ads,real estate,etc... was once 12-16 pages!! it was 3 this weeek!!

we in some trouble folks!!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Here the ads are about the same. Every year though they fluctuate some. There are still on average at least one full page of job openings. My brother who just moved here and his girlfriend and her daughter all recently got jobs.

The real-estate section is no larger than normal and neither is the other for sale sections. I have noticed a large amount of free for the taking animals but that fluctuates and is normal too.

Raist

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
As someone who worked for over 20 years for a weekly local newspaper, the advertising sections always drop during the two weeks of Christmas and New Year. In the UK, some industries close over this period and who honestly is going to go house hunting over this period.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I work for a major newspaper and the number of classifieds being placed has dropped steadily, as the real estate, automotive and recruitment departments have also seen a sharp decline - which make up a good portion of classified ads. Business owners are fighting to stay in business and they are choosing to pay their electric bill over advertising, simple as that. In fact, newspapers all across the country as a whole are getting smaller due to printing costs and online competition. Many are bankrupt or heading towards it rapidly. It's another direct effect of the economy as we steadily head towards financial collapse.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
There have not been any job listings in my local paper for over 3 months now. Give it time, the same will head your way soon.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yeah they are getting smaller here,

usually we have like 20 job openings a paper and now only 5 or so.

Could be the holidays....and bad economy.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Perhaps 'cause everyone is moving over to Craigslist? It's free. And it's EVERYWHERE (Practically. Sort of).

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I don’t usually read the classifieds, so I really can’t speak as to the volume of ads, but the Dallas Morning News has consolidated their sections considerably, putting part of the classifieds in the back of the sports section.

I just figured it was a cost saving measure due to the continuing decline in readership.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by juniperberry
Perhaps 'cause everyone is moving over to Craigslist? It's free. And it's EVERYWHERE (Practically. Sort of).

hahahah yes exactly.. thats what I thought when i read the title of this thread.

of course it's because of ebay and monster.com and craigslist.

who's gonna post in the paper when you can jsut o it on line.

although. there STILL is a great number of people who are not online.

but yeah.. it's because of people being online not because of lack of funds to spend.

-

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Ny has ben like this for months. Listings are at a minimal. No jobs posted? No need to work

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

Craigslist is no longer free ..they charge 25.00 now per ad (for jobs anyway)
Thats why there are no jobs there lately ..

In our local news paper there is only about 8 jobs a week *Its a small town still and there never any jobs here anyway ..except for the local mexicans (they make more than our local boys ..but mainly because the locals are lazy and momma still takes care of all of them) ..they find jobs everyday standing downtown (they made them a new place to stand now) .

Most stores etc ...put the help wanted in the door not in the newspapers anyway.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Phoenix paper went from having an entire section devoted to job that was about 10 pages long, to one little small section of jobs. I noticed it.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I don't read the newspapers, or get anything in the mail that would give me an indication of your post. I am glad you did post this info though, because it is a reminder of how things are. Daily life has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years. I now hit my computer's power button before I go pee in the morning, so it will be up when my teeth are brushed.
I think the paper media is a thing of the past and that is even more evident to me by the fact that I got a book for Christmas this year that I've been wanting to read since it was published, (Ted Nugent's "Ted White & Blue"), and I've barely made it past the forward. Everything we see and do is online now, and it's a fact that needs to be addressed. There are a ton of online job sites, and "for sale" sites, and although they are more convienient and it's soo easy, that's not always a good thing.
I remember reading the paper in the morning with a cup of coffee, and I do miss it. I also enjoy hitting all my favorite news websites every morning now, and I know everyone reading this feels the same.
I also haven't watched any local news for at least 5 years on tv, but I do listen to the radio at work.

new topics

top topics

join