It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Will Give 'Free Weapons' To Afghan Civilians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

U.S. Will Give 'Free Weapons' To Afghan Civilians

rawstory.com

One way to quell a violent and deteriorating situation, according to the U.S. military, is to flood the place with guns.

That's exactly what is planned for Afghanistan, where a rising tide of chaos is slowly pushing the country past Iraq as the most dangerous battlefield Americans tread upon.

"The U.S. military plans to help the Afghanistan government recruit, train and arm local Afghans to fight a resurgent Taliban," reported CNN's Barbara Starr.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sigh...

This sounds an aweful lot LIKE what created these "talibans" and "al CIAda's" in the first place.

It's a strange world when our gov want to DISARM its own civilian population, but then wants to give its foreign conquests weapons for free.

And take a wild guess where that MONEY to buy all of these weapons they're "giving away for free" is going to come from? Noneother than you and I, joe-tax-payer. More awesome allocation of our tax-dollars to fund perpetual barbarisms and bloodshed.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
THis sounds more like a social experiment on the Afgan people than anything else. Let's give them all guns and see what happens.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
this sounds alot like new tactics for settler colonialism
us creates a puppet govt.
invades the country and destroys it's economy
tries it's best to westernize the country
typical colonial build and destroy tactics
and now this

this is alcohol, as colonists gave to natives
modern day slot machines

Here's a song dedicated to this thread

Soooo applicable!

[edit on 27-12-2008 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

so the idiots are going to arm them with weapons to kill their own people with and british and other international forces.

dont they learn from any of their mistakes?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It's called creating a self-sufficient police force. Canadians have been doing this for years already in the south of afg. Should we create and leave and afghan police force armed with poppy cutters to fight off taliban? I realize that's what created the taliban in the first place but we can't live our lives assuming people will betray us.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

LOL, that was another thing that first popped into my head when I read this---Here Obama is talking about EXPANDING the war in Afghanistan exponentially, and they start talking about giving its populace FREE WEAPONS?!? It almost sounds like they are TRYING to get more of our men killed. Or perhaps create a REAL war, where one didn't really exist before?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
yay!! this meens we can be there a lot longer when all those guns fall in the hands of the wrong people. Why don't we just give them war planes and laser guided missiles, throw in a ICBM with an armed nuclear detonator or two. God our government keeps giving and giving, so selfless.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I find it awkward that their are no named US sources. All it says is according to the US military as you source states

One way to quell a violent and deteriorating situation, according to the U.S. military, is to flood the place with guns.

Furthermore, it says this plan will be pushed to Obama for consideration.

I just don't see this happening and feel this story is just building up fear. Just a few months ago I had read that the US was upgrading the Afghans they were training with M16's.

The Afghan National Army is ditching its AK47s in favor of the M16 rifle as part of a force modernization effort that will change not only how the soldiers handle their weapons but possibly how they fight.

www.armytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join