It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sumerian tales versus the bible

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
All I know is that most of the miricals in the bible is unlikely, if god was unhappy with the insignificant hight of the tower of babel agains modern structures, were is the punishment, need i say more space flight must have had god all crazy with anger, or does some of us still believe that the tower of babel almost reached heaven. Or that all the animals were in the arc, penguins from the south pole, not to forget the insects with life cycles less than two weeks, south American snails crossing seas, the unrealistic options are endless, even the size of the arc would never hold two of all animals, insects ect. Yes ther are parallels between bible stories and other myths and believes, and then there are all the discrepancies in the bible, at my last count more than a 120, the first lie in the bible is committed by god sauing adam and eve will die, eating from the tree, the snake tells the truth, and man gains knolage, and is the snake, satan .... no, The word Satan is not even in Genisis. let me not share all.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by EdenKaia
reply to post by Byrd

Shame on you Byrd. Off your game today.

My job is to catch Byrd in errors - for which I'm paid a princely sum. Last year that money would have been enough to have gotten me a hot dog and a glass of water - room temperature and no condiments.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by huckfinn

Hi huckfinn.You say you know why this thread discussing this topic exists,your right it did have a purpose,i don't know if your idea is the same is my reason......

I genuinely wanted to know if i should keep on worshiping the god of the bible or start searching elsewhere to find where life began,and if we are in fact answerable to a higher power(Jehovah the god of the bible)

I believe that with so many people on this web site i might get a little closer to the truth

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by illece
reply to post by huckfinn

Hi huckfinn.You say you know why this thread discussing this topic exists,your right it did have a purpose,i don't know if your idea is the same is my reason......

I genuinely wanted to know if i should keep on worshiping the god of the bible or start searching elsewhere to find where life began,and if we are in fact answerable to a higher power(Jehovah the god of the bible)

I believe that with so many people on this web site i might get a little closer to the truth

I don't know what you mean by "Worship" but what I do know for a fact is that all things we know as human beings reconcile fully with one another. Faith and Science are not alternate paths, but aspects of one another. I am sure that you can find support for the idea that what we know by science and what we know through the Bible are not at all inconsistent with one another.

Life is not so much about choosing one thing over another as it is about discernment; Assuming that all things have a purpose and then putting them in their proper place, especially with regard to how they are related to each other. Knowing Good and Evil. Once this ability is developed the correct path, the path to the place I assume you want to go, reveals itself and the path you'd try to avoid disappears.

I can't remember if it was on this thread or another similiarly titled thread, but I stated as clearly as I could that I think (know) that the concepts included in Sumerian tales are not a substitute for the Biblical but a derivative and/or reflection of them. The Epic of Gilgamesh and the Sumerian Flood represent all the characteristics of being a mirror reality. The stories reveal this about themselves in the text; their path is to death.

If the Bible is how you were raised, you should probably stick to it or do nothing at all and just live life the best you can. But to discard what you are and adopt something else just seems foolish; to be frank.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by illece

also remember the following

though the summerian tales were WRITTEN DOWN FIRST, the arguement for the bible can still hold water..meaning it can be true.

if there is a satan who is willing to push you away from the holy GOD, he would put old creature bones in the earth and create books like the summerian texts to try and fool you.
never forget that

but the summerian texts are fun to read

and btw, no such thing as blue or red pill. people are so foolish.

everyone is awake but they willingly CHOOSE to sleep because it benefits them
all u have to do is 2 things
1. OBSERVE REALITY
2. BEND YOURSELF (nothing or no one to fight out there, not the NWO or matrix, bend yourself)

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I don't know if i have posted in the right section,but i really would like to know which was written first Sumerian tales or the bible ,i am really struggling with my christian believes due to this subject!!

The way I see it is that it will take you to the truth, to a certain extent. You can pretend that you have this understanding of what the bible was teaching or look to the source material to see what was really happening or what the messages they were really conveying. Either way I don't see how it would affect your religion.

The gods in the bible may not have been the one omniscient God we believe in now but they were the ones that first thought of the concept. The Annunaki talk about this concept of an omniscient God and debated whether they were playing God by creating the human race.

The way I see it you'll have a less tainted version of the real origins of the universe and mankinds place in it. So why would it affect your religion?

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Quiintus]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJelly
reply to post by illece

though the summerian tales were WRITTEN DOWN FIRST, the arguement for the bible can still hold water..meaning it can be true.

if there is a satan who is willing to push you away from the holy GOD, he would put old creature bones in the earth and create books like the summerian texts to try and fool you.
never forget that

1. OBSERVE REALITY
2. BEND YOURSELF (nothing or no one to fight out there, not the NWO or matrix, bend yourself)

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard someone say. This is Ancient and Lost civilizations forum. If you think Satan planted the Sumerian tamblets, which you are suggesting have an alignment of chaotic evil, then I have to say you sound ignorant.

Why are these tablets evil? Cos they aren't the bible?? Cos they are older than the bible? Cos they aren't pushing an agenda like the bible?? I guess some people want to believe in something so much they'll ignor the simple truths of reality.

Oh well enjoy your ignorance...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quiintus

Originally posted by MrJelly
reply to post by illece

never forget that

1. OBSERVE REALITY

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard someone say. This is Ancient and Lost civilizations forum. If you think Satan planted the Sumerian tamblets, which you are suggesting have an alignment of chaotic evil, then I have to say you sound ignorant.

Why are these tablets evil? Cos they aren't the bible?? Cos they are older than the bible? Cos they aren't pushing an agenda like the bible?? I guess some people want to believe in something so much they'll ignor the simple truths of reality.

Oh well enjoy your ignorance...

Seconded. Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish...

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

reply to post by seek4 truth

(the omega project codes) I will try to get a copy ,sounds interesting.
I Do think we have been misled!i am beginning to think religion is a means of misleading the masses and make them obedient through fear and guilt ..

I agree with you, it is there to keep us at bay, fear the return of the maker (nwo???) so it will be much simpler as we simply just bows down and accept the 'new' leaders of the world..

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It depend of color of a pill you decided to take. Look into [SNIP] and discover a history of religions and who wrote the Bible.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
parallels of the flood (Deluge) story........

"the storm had swept...for seven days and seven nights" Ziusudra 203

"For seven days and seven nights came the storm" Atrahasis III,iv, 24

"Six days and seven nights the wind and storm" Gilgamesh XI, 127

"rain fell upon the earth forty days and forty nights" Genesis 7:12

"He offered a sacrifice" Atrahasis III,v, 31

"And offered a sacrifice" Gilgamesh XI, 155

"offered burnt offerings on the altar" Genesis 8:20

"built an altar and sacrificed to the gods" Berossus.

"The gods smelled the savor" Atrahasis III,v,34

"The gods smelled the sweet savor" Gilgamesh XI, 160

"And the Lord smelled the sweet savor..." Genesis 8:21

"Side-wall... pay attention" Ziusudra iv,155
"Wall, listen to me." Atrahasis III,i,20
"Wall, pay attention" Gilgamesh XI,22

"Destroy your house, spurn property, save life" Atrahasis III,i,22
"Tear down house, abandon property, save life" Gilgamesh XI,24-26

"the decision that mankind is to be destroyed" Ziusudra iv,157-158
"The gods commanded total destruction" Atrahasis II,viii,34
"The great gods decided to make a deluge" Gilgamesh XI,14
"God...decided to make an end of all flesh" Genesis 6:13

"Enki...over the capitals the storm will sweep" Ziusudra iv,156
"He [Enki] told him of the coming of the flood" Atrahasis III,i,37
"God said to Noah...I will bring a flood" Genesis 6:13,17
"Kronos...said...mankind would be destroyed by a flood" Berossus

"...the huge boat" Ziusudra v,207
"Build a ship" Atrahasis III,i,22
"Build a ship" Gilgamesh XI,24
"Make yourself an ark" Genesis 6:14
"build a boat" Berossus

"who protected the seed of mankind" Ziusudra vi,259
"Bring into the ship the seed of life of everything" Gilgamesh XI,27
"to keep their seed alive" Genesis 7:3 (KJV)

"Like the apsu you shall roof it" Atrahasis III,i,29
"Like the apsu you shall roof it" Gilgamesh XI,31
"Make a roof for the ark" Genesis 6:16

"coming of the flood on the seventh night" Atrahasis,III,i,37
"after seven days the waters of the flood came" Genesis 7:10

"...and addressed the elders" Atrahasis III,i,41
"I answer the city assembly and the elders" Gilgamesh XI,35

"This is what you shall say to them..." Gilgamesh XI,38
"If asked where he was sailing he was to reply..." Berossus

"I cannot live in [your city]" Atrahasis III,i,47
"I cannot live in your city" Gilgamesh XI,40

"An abundance of birds, a profusion of fishes" Atrahasis III,i,35
"[an abundance of] birds, the rarest fish" Gilgamesh XI,44

"pitch I poured into the inside" Gilgamesh XI,66
"cover it inside and out with pitch" Genesis 6:14
"some people scrape pitch off the boat" Berossus

"your family, your relatives" Atrahasis DT,42(w),8
"he sent his family on board" Atrahasis III,ii,42
"into the ship all my family and relatives" Gilgamesh XI,84
"Go into the ark, you and all your household" Genesis 7:1
"he sent his wife and children and friends on board" Berossus

"animals which emerge from the earth" Ziusudra vi,253
"all the wild creatures of the steppe" Atrahasis DT,42(w),9
"The cattle of the field, the beast of the plain" Gilgamesh XI,85
"clean animals and of animals that are not clean" Genesis 7:8
"and put both birds and animals on board" Berossus

"Enter the boat and close the boat's door" Atrahasis DT,42(w),6
"Pitch was brought for him to close his door" Atrahasis III,ii,51
"I entered the ship and closed the door" Gilgamesh XI,93
"And they that entered...and the Lord shut him in" Genesis 7:16

"Ninurta went forth making the dikes [overflow]" Atrahasis U rev,14
"Ninurta went forth making the dikes overflow" Gilgamesh XI,102

"One person could [not] see another" Atrahasis III,iii,13
"One person could not see another" Gilgamesh XI,111

"the storm had swept...for seven days and seven nights" Ziusudra 203
"For seven days and seven nights came the storm" Atrahasis III,iv,24
"Six days and seven nights the wind and storm flood" Gilgamesh XI,127
"rain fell upon the earth forty days and forty nights" Genesis 7:12

"consigned the peoples to destruction" Atrahasis III,iii,54
"All mankind was turned to clay" Gilgamesh XI,133
"And all flesh died...and every man" Genesis 7:21

"Ziusudra made an opening in the large boat" Ziusudra vi,207
"I opened the window" Gilgamesh XI,135
"Noah opened the window of the ark" Genesis 8:6
"he pried open a portion of the boat" Berossus

"On Mount Nisir the boat grounded" Gilgamesh XI,140
"the ark came to rest upon the mountains" Genesis 8:4
"the boat had grounded upon a mountain" Berossus
"After Khsisuthros... landed ... a long mountain" Moses of Khoren.

"The dove went out and returned" Gilgamesh XI,147
"sent forth the dove and the dove came back to him" Genesis 8:10b-11
"let out the birds and they again returned to the ship" Berossus.

"When a seventh day arrived" Gilgamesh XI,145
"He waited another seven days" Genesis 8:10a.

"I sent forth a raven" Gilgamesh XI,152
"Noah... sent forth a raven" Genesis 8:7

"The king slaughtered...bulls and sheep" Ziusudra vi,211
"He offered [a sacrifice]" Atrahasis III,v,31
"And offered a sacrifice" Gilgamesh XI,155
"offered burnt offerings on the altar" Genesis 8:20
"built an altar and sacrificed to the gods" Berossus

"[The gods smelled] the savor" Atrahasis III,v,34
"The gods smelled the sweet savor" Gilgamesh XI,160
"And the Lord smelled the sweet savor..." Genesis 8:21

"the lapis around my neck" Atrahasis III,vi,2
"the lapis lazuli on my neck" Gilgamesh XI,164

"That I may remember it [every] day" Atrahasis III,vi,4
"I shall remember these days and never forget" Gilgamesh XI,165
"I shall remember my covenant...I may remember" Genesis 9:15-16

"How did man survive the destruction?" Atrahasis III,vi,10
"No man was to survive the destruction" Gilgamesh XI,173

"[on the criminal] impose your penalty" Atrahasis III,vi,25
"On the criminal impose his crimes" Gilgamesh XI,180
"Who sheds the blood of man, by man his blood be shed" Genesis 9:6

"he touched our foreheads to bless us" Gilgamesh XI,192
"And God blessed Noah" Genesis 9:1

"elevated him to eternal life, like a god" Ziusudra vi,257
"they shall be like gods to us" Gilgamesh XI,194

"I lived in the temple of Ea, my lord" Atrahasis RS 22.421,7
"go down to dwell with my lord Ea" Gilgamesh XI,42
"he had gone to dwell with the gods" Berossus.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What I enjoy is that monotheism didn't exist until Akhenaten (1350 BC ish), so how "God" could have "written" the bible 1500 years before strikes me as unlikely.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
God didnt write the Bible. Men Did!

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Chaos Lord

Thanks chaos lord,
This was the reason i started the thread,i had read some of the parallels between the bible and sumerian accounts but did nor realise there were so many!
Thanks to Eden kaia , Byrd ,Mr jelly ,and every one who have bothered to reply to this thread.
illece

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Chaos Lord

Thanks chaos lord,
This was the reason i started the thread,i had read some of the parallels between the bible and sumerian accounts but did nor realise there were so many!
Thanks to Eden kaia , Byrd ,Mr jelly ,and every one who have bothered to reply to this thread.
illece

[edit on 3/30/2009 by Chaos Lord]

Read William Bramley's -gods of Eden- and Zacharia Sitchens -Earth Chronicles- series.

These books will give you a different persepective on what our purpose MAY be here.

It will leave you asking your self a few questions:

Is this all the work of Satan?
Have you been duped to fall away from God?
And is this truely a just a cruel dimension/hell/school of hard knocks that we are exhisitng in which WE must find God ourselves or waste away our soul here for eternity?
Were we Gods creation manipulated by fallen angels (gods) to be their slaves?

It all makes since a correlates with all ancient writings.

[edit on 3/30/2009 by Chaos Lord]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This a great thread with some good info,to me it is beyond obvious that sumer was first befor the bible.People who actually think its the other way around well it must be blind faith.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by teraform

The people of Sumer were (as far as we now know) the first to write down stories that were probably much older and well known amongst the many groups and languages of the AME.

Cultures and religions influence one another and those in the same area due so to a greater extent. Religious thought evolves over time like most human endeavours.

The Bible was written by some Hebrew gentleman who came out of the same AME the Sumerian had. If a few thousand years later.

[edit on 1/8/10 by Hanslune]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Yes I totally agreee.I cant help to think perhaps over time it goes from a polytheism to monotheism,but more importantly why does this happen?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by teraform
reply to post by Hanslune

Yes I totally agreee.I cant help to think perhaps over time it goes from a polytheism to monotheism,but more importantly why does this happen?

No one really agrees on how or why this occurs - nor does it occur every where or at the same time my own opinion on that is people observed that towns, villages and countries that believed in a pantheon of gods tended to get defeated in battle and destroyed. Belief in gods appeared to have no effect. So the gods became more distant and less human and having deep plans for humanity instead of rather human like desires.

You might want to ask that question on the Religion forum

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
there are a ton of huge differences between the flood sory in the Bible and the Sumerian ones

for one thing in the Bible there is one God in the Sumerian there are many
who have a big split over whether or not humanity is to be killed off there are no hybrid humans in the Sumerian

these discussions and the ensuing rift between the gods make the two stories although some time lengths and details about birds and whatnot are similar make them very different stories

this is an old trick keeping some things and inserting others that change the meaning completely

yes Abraham did come from UR but you have to figure that the Sumerian tales are the story of settled agriculturalists verses Semi Nomadic herders(Abraham) and they had huge cultural and religious rifts

Moses left Egypt after he looted the temple of Amun and took the holy artifacts so he could start his own sect of sorcerers and Abraham did the same thing when he left Ur

fast forward to the Templars looking for Mesopotamian magic yada yada

yes they share a tradition and then they ad their own spin or update it to suit the times and and blend in other magik from other peoples as they come across them.

love kindness and compassion are the only true religion unless you know somebody who worships Zeus,Gods come and go

Just sayin

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join