It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sumerian tales versus the bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I don't know if i have posted in the right section,but i really would like to know which was written first Sumerian tales or the bible ,i am really struggling with my christian believes due to this subject!!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
If you want to keep your christian beliefs mate, then consider dropping the subject NOW!
Do you remember the matrix? Remember the guy that wanted to get back into the matrix?
You can't! Once you're out, you're out! There's no going back
The rollercoasterride will be interesting, but not comforting!
Blue or red pill => Your choice!

I swallowed the pill and I have occasionally regreted it. It tends to make you lonely, but I would make the same choice again!

I'll come back later/tomorrow and see if you're still interested!
Good luck and blessings,

Samuel

EDIT to add: I'm definately no guru, but I think I'm a tad further down the path that you're on and may be able to share what I have found out! ^^

[edit on 27-12-2008 by Aldolas]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Ah yes, the blue or the red? There is definitely no going back!! I was never a Christian or any religion at all. But the thing that always bugged me was where in the hell did all those strange tales come from in the bible? I knew enough that god wasn't a man in a robe on a throne up in the air somewhere, but I knew there was a 'god'. But now I call it Infinite Creator or Great Spirit. I believe that the 'other' force here with us, or our 'visitor' as some call it, altered much of the bible, hushed the 'witches', killed off the native Indians, and made a mockery of anything and everything that is the truth (spiritual). Including Earth's REAL history. We are at odds with these friends, but neither one of us is in the RIGHT - we are just different. And that is the hardest to accept, evil and good, one in the same. So, welcome to the club of the confused rats trying to find their way out of the maze!

[edit on 27-12-2008 by blujay]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
thanks for the advice i know i should follow it BUT,i dont want to leave religion but i do want to know what is the truth.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The fact that you are already asking big questions is a fair indication of where you are heading with this.

Personally i find the easiest way of dealing with reigion is to not take every written word as face value and see it as all one big metaphor where you can use your own free will to draw conclusions that satisfy your spiritual needs.

When you break it all down all the religions say pretty much the same things in different ways, the god i want to beleive in doesnt expect me to grovel, beg or lie about myself or my needs, but want me to be true to myself, help others where i can and just be a good person.

Good luck with your journey my friend, you may be looking at summerian texts now, that will take you to arcadian lore, and from there you will be looking at myths, legends and generally going down a very deep rabbitt hole.

For me anyone saying "my religion is THE true religion" are in the same category as trusting someone that says "trust me"

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
A nice thread is:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
There is a PDF book. I don't agree with everything, but it's VERY interesting.
What kicked me out of church was reading about the UFO in Hesekiel. And then crossreferencing 'spirit of the Lord' with a concordance and finding all the other descriptions of the damn (literally DAMNED!!) thing!

What came first the biblical or the sumerian texts.... Well I think the biblical story was written by Moses. The Sumerians were gone way before that... ... ...

Now I'm off to the pub it's Saturday night! I've got a couple of years of LIFE before 2012^^
See you later and I wish you all the best,

Samuel

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by illece

The truth is inside you and so is your faith...

No one can take that away from you, studie and read and keep the bits of the faith you feel is right for you and how you see it and are happy with,,

No one is right no one is wrong we are all in the same boat

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The Sumerian tales are older (or at least were written down first.) These tales, on clay tablets, are about 1,500 years older than the Bible. The earliest of the Biblical books was written down about 1500 BC.

The story of what was written when for the Bible and how they decided what books were to go into the Bible is an interesting tale, and one you should read sometime.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The best book that I have ever read on this subject is "old world secrets the omega project codes" but it is as what has been said. If you choose to read it, your life will never be the same. You will end up like me trying to show everyone that there is something very wrong with what we are being told. And as to what has also been said about being lonely, that is true to because most of the world has been fed lies and they will fight you to the death to prove that they know what is going on because that is what their dads dad told them. They will claim things that you will learn for a fact to be true as untrue, and laugh in your face with the rest of the masses simply because their dads dad told them as well or even better yet, because they saw it on TV.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by seek4 truth]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

One added note, the stories from Sumer were probably past orally to the Hebrews. It is not thought that the/a Hebrew(s) read the Sumerian and follow on empire's literature.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

thanks for info,i knew the Sumerian texts were written on clay tablets but didn't know even roughly when they were written,nor did i have any Ida when the bible books were written down!!
been looking into the nag hammadi library,and the dead sea scrolls,so far neither have helped a lot

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by seek4 truth

(the omega project codes) I will try to get a copy ,sounds interesting.
I Do think we have been misled!i am beginning to think religion is a means of misleading the masses and make them obedient through fear and guilt ..

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by illece

I Do think we have been misled!i am beginning to think religion is a means of misleading the masses and make them obedient through fear and guilt ..

Religions arose because we were trying to make sense of the world around us. Why did Zog die and not me? Where do clouds come from? why is Zork a better hunter than me?

Religions tried to explain these things and as we are human the spirits, demons and gods tended to reflect our anthropomorphic view. Later those involved in religion found they could make a living doing it and even control people to do what they would like. Some of course do so out of a belief that it is in the people's best interest to do so, a minority out of their own enlargement.

However this appeared to arise independently amongst all the regions of the earth and reflects a common human trait not a 'conspiracy'.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by illece
I don't know if i have posted in the right section,but i really would like to know which was written first Sumerian tales or the bible ,i am really struggling with my christian believes due to this subject!!

Don't pay no attention to the morons that can't define words. Now I would ask you what you meant by your words? Written First? Did ou mean actually written down or Published work?

Let me explain, Stephen King is a well known Author of Horror stories, many of his readers will know this but it proves the point. Stephen King wrote many of his best known Horror Stories in College before he had really been published as a great writer. Now if Stephen King pulls a story out of his filing Cabinet that he wrote in 1969 but he publishes it in 2009, what is it date written? what is its date Published?

The Bible was WRITTEN long before any sumerian tales were published or written. However it was not until Moses that GOD gave us the EDITOR of the book of Genesis. Moses took the probable clay tablets that Adam and Noah and all those in between kept and wrote and Moses Published them in one place for all to see.

God haters will try to deny this is possible but Archeological digs have shown his to be most accurate probably...

But then it takes Faith to believe in GOD and a Creation and rules to life, some people like it with no rues. Look at Hitler and how he ran with Evolutionary thinking, as an example... No rules means man can make his own rules.... Hitler did!

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The sumerian tales were written first. But do not think that the bible borrows from sumerian tales, because they do not. The only way they can make the sumerian stories "match" the bible is if they mix and match various things from sumeria, and fit them together, not if they take them as they are.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

hi , the place where you write (it was not until Moses ,that God gave us the editor of the book of Genisis) that is what i have been taught by my religion, the problem is that there is no proof! Iknow the book of Hebrews chapter 11 verse 1 says faith is the assured expectation of thinga hoped for the evedent deminstration of realities though not beheld .but i find it difficult to have that kind of faith.
but i do believe in a God ,there is no doubt on that one

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

reply to post by seek4 truth

(the omega project codes) I will try to get a copy ,sounds interesting.
I will just leave it at this, that is just what you notice that is in front of your face, the world and its thought have been implanted for hidden reasons. In other words everything we know we only know because it has been allowed.

P.S. Abraham came from sumeria, The bible puposely tries to confuse the ones that are not capable of learning for themselves.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by seek4 truth]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
To those that are saying that the bible came first, but just wasn't published yet, I would have to say that you are living your life with blinders on. The Sumerian texts came LONG before any of the biblical stories and if you can find a single "archaeological dig" that supports any theory otherwise, I would be happy to see it.

The story of Gilgamesh (a sumerian ruler) is the oldest recorded story in the world, and the tablets we have date back close to 3000 B.C. in twelve separate pieces. The oldest version of the Old Testament dates back to around 1000 to 500 B.C. Hardly a contest between the two, and the Gilgamesh Epic gives an account of a version of Noah and his survival of a "Great Flood" generations before. Different names, of course, but the story is the same.

Realistically, science and archaeology are going to support Sumeria. Your faith is going to support whatever it will like. To the original poster, I hope this answers your question.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

The Bible was WRITTEN long before any sumerian tales were published or written.

Hans: How do you know this? Is this a faith based pronouncement or is your comment evidenced?

Moses took the probable clay tablets that Adam and Noah and all those in between kept and wrote and Moses Published them in one place for all to see.

Hans: The earliest versions of the bible books are I believe written on papyrus and parchment (some on metal plates) not on clay tablets – if so they’d still be around. By the way which language would Adam have written in?

..... will try to deny this is possible but Archeological digs have shown his to be most accurate probably...

Hans: Which digs and what did they show that supported this?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EdenKaia

thanks for your answer,i am coming to the belief that the sumerian texts did in fact come first .BUT-is there any archaeological and scientific proof that they did.
i have read the English version of the Gilgamesh epic and i know it does contain the flood story but there are different ideas of the date.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join