It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seth Shostak-talks ET and SETI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Ben: Do you believe in extra-terrestrials?
Seth Shostak: "Well, Ben, if I didn't, I wouldn't continue to do this work. It would be very frustrating to think that we're looking for something that doesn't exist."

Duncan: How do you use radios to listen for aliens?
Seth Shostak: "The scheme that we use is to point very large antennas in the directions of sun-like stars, and look for signals that are clearly produced by a transmitter, and not natural cosmic static."

Sara: What type of signals do you expect aliens to make?
Seth Shostak: "Well, Sara, I expect aliens to make all kinds of signals, but the kind that we look for are so-called narrow-band signals. These are at one particular spot on the radio dial. These are the types of signals that would be most easy to detect from great distances."
link
SETI - THE SEARCH FOR
The Planetary Society
h2g2: SETI
BBC Space: Aliens

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by SE7EN]

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Hi Se7en!!

Very many thanx for posting these links - the one you quote from Seth certainly contains some very relavent POV about SETI and the continued search for ET!!

I'm sure others in the ATS SETI@home and BOINC groups will find these pages interesting reading - as will those with a passing interest in current attempts to find evidence of Life outside of Earth.

Thanx again Se7en!!

new topics

join