It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexual Analogy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSavageTesla

A person is born, not a murderer.
That is the default/normal state
Being a Murderer, or, STAYING a non-murderer, is the CHOICE we make in our lives.

[edit on 12/27/2008 by TheSavageTesla]

See, now right off the bat, you blew it.

It is a pity that they don't teach rhetoric in the public schools any more (do they?).

First off, you are assuming that humans are born without the ability to cause each other harm, unto death. That is an erroneous premise, at least as far as the psychological capacity being non-existant in the newborn is concerned.

I would concede that humans lack the physical capacity to injure not only at birth but for a significant period of time thereafter. But this physical limitation in no way retards the psychological inhibition to cause injury to another, even if such injury is incidental and not formed of inanate malice.

However, as most any parent will tell you, even the most innocent of children must be taught to "be careful" when handling creatures more delicate than themselves.

Any child not so instructed would likely be considered an unsocialized danger to his/her peers.

Let us bear in mind also that the use of the term Murder/Murderer is, in this usage, misleading.

(Whether this obfuscation is intentional on the part of the OP or not, I will leave to the discernment of the reader!)

Murder is generally defined as the willfull taking of a life, usually by direct action. The problem lies in identifying the Willfullness of the act. Any, argueably every, human, is at least capable of killing another human (unless physically restrained from doing so), the difficultly comes in determining the willfullness of the act.

This is generally a determination left to a jury of some type.

It would be much more accurate to say that humans are born killers, in as much as they share the capacity to kill that any orther animal possesses. However, for the good of the society in which they are drawn to live, humans are amenable to the modification of self-serving behaviors which would make social living arrangements impossible.

They Choose Not to Kill each other.

In short, if the OP had done some research into biology, psychology, sociology, and parenting, he/she would have realized that "a person" is indeed "born to kill", but that we learn not to kill; unless we choose to commit murder.

Going back to the OP's original proposition, then; Are we all therefore born Gay, but learn to be heterosexual?

Or, at least, act as though we were hetero?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
It all comes down to your experience in life.

Furthermore, social norms dictate the default.

If the social norms are eating meat, and celebrating Christmas, for example, you will do those things in your youth, before you have the experience to do otherwise.

If the social norms are being vegetarian, and practicing Ramadan, for example, you will do those things in your youth, before you have the experience to do otherwise.

Choosing to become vegetarian or convert to Islam when the norm is otherwise, for example, are choices. These are decisions you choose to make based upon your experiences. They are movements from the norm to what you believe is right.

If the social norm is heterosexuality, than you do not have to choose to be heterosexual. The same principal applies with homosexuality.

I am by all rights heterosexual, but I choose to be celibate. It is not that my emotions are diminished, but that my experience in life has led me to the path of abstinence – including abstinence from drugs, alcohol, and sex.

Your preference comes down to what your experience dictates.

Moreover, genes do not control your mind; they control your body. Your ego is a result of your experience, and dictates your actions. Genes, like social norms, can only predispose you one way or the other. Your actions are up to you.

Being gay is certainly not a disease.
You are not born gay, nor is it always a choice you make.
Being gay is not as simple as skin color.
Ultimately, however, you are in control of your life, whether you choose to be or not.

<< 1   >>

join