It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.3 Earthquake in PA 12-27-08

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Just had a magnitude 3.3 earthquake a few miles east of us here in southeastern PA! Check out the USGS report:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Have never felt an earthquake on the east coast before, and was surprised to say the least. It was a minor quake but significant for people that are not used to them!

The funny thing is I had added "strap down the water heater" to my to-do list just the other day after reading a post on here about earthquake predictions for this month!

Guess I'll make sure to get it done soon....

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
lol my friend just sent me a text about it. interesting... I lived there my whole life and we never had one.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
WTF? Does Penn. normally have earthquakes? Somebody want to give me the skinny?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It didn't feel like an earthquake at first, I thought I was robbed because it felt like someone fell. But after questioning... sure enough my friends felt it as well. Strange. This is the first time PA has experienced this in at least 16 years (as far as I know)

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Doesn't look like PA has a whole lot of earthquake history, check out this link:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Here in NZ we have a lot of earthquakes - had a bit of a scary one today - can't get a pattern tho

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
this is the third quake in three months in york county. the last two were 2-point-somethings. this one was 3.3 they're getting stronger.t

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Although it is rare for the lancaster seismic zone to have earthquakes there were 6 in the 90's. So if this is the first one in the 2000's I would say it is pretty normal. The average is one or two per decade.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The frequency of earthquakes on the east coast is not normal... And it is getting more and more quakes too... Me thinks we we getting closer to the Big one in the wrong place..

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
i live in the pocono mts in pa and the last one i remember up here was around 1990 - little one-but i never even felt it after living in alaska for awhile before it lol just got used to them i guess

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
It was just a baby quake but i herd a loud boom along with it. This was the first earthquake ive ever felt in lancaster so I don't know if thats normal or not.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
No quakes are not common around here! I have lived in NY, PA and VA my entire life and never felt one before.

I read an article about the quake (linked from drudgereport.com) and somebody else mentioned hearing two booms also - how the heck would an earthquake cause an audible boom? Is that normal?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Me and my cousin were playing guitar Hero and i was sitting on a lounge chair and my cousin was sitting on the couch and we stated to fell the house shake and it sounded like thunder and the ornaments on the Christmas tree were shaking. It felt bigger than a 3.3.

Columbia,PA( in Lancaster)

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
It was just a baby quake but i herd a loud boom along with it. This was the first earthquake ive ever felt in lancaster so I don't know if thats normal or not.

It could be a quarry hit - or another intentional hit. They boom. There have been a number of quakes in odd places in the last couple of months. There was one in Wyoming a couple weeks ago that was removed from my earthquake widget about 10 minutes after it registered it.
l

new topics

top topics

join