It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Whaling !!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Seriously, the fact that Japan claims killing 2000 whales a year for the sole purpose of "research" is one of the biggest and most valid conspiracies i've ever seen. If they really were only concerned about researching these beautiful, sentient creatures, there are better ways of research than harpooning them and dragging them into the ship while they are still alive, and then splaying them out on the deck as they collapse and suffocate from their own weight outside of water.

It is completely unnecessary to kill thousands of whales a year in the name of research. That is not the way to conduct wildlife research, there are better non-lethal ways such as tagging or capture and release. That is how American Marine Biology is done with great white sharks, killer whales, and cetaceans. They've never just said "Hey while we're studying this creature let's kill it and sell its parts for side cash." That's right, the Japanese fleets such as Nisshin Maru package, freeze, and $ELL the whale meat as soon as it dies on their decks. They gain millions of dollars while dancing around the research kill limit, all in the name of science. This is pure corruption and nothing more than commercial whaling under the disguise of scientific research.

I understand the Japanese marine biologists when they claim they need tissue samples and fecal samples. All good biologists do, but they do this by clipping off parts of the fin and such. Not by harpooning thousands of whales per year and selling the meat to sushi bars back in Japan. The most ironic thing I've ever heard the Japanese say is that they are happy many of the whales that they kill are pregnant, showing that the species is not as endangered as other countries claim they are. Seriously... what...?

And the decision to allow the Japanese kill limit for research was passed by the IWC by ONE VOTE. I hate those whaling fleets so much...

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Well I agree with you that this whaling is really not necessary these days, the Japanese have always supplied their people with seafood including whale meat. They've been doing it forever.

I'm not disagreeing with you about it being a practice that I don't care for but please tell me you're not one of the crazy people. Please tell me I'm not going to see you next season on "Whale Wars" willing to trade your life for a whale.

The reason that no one is doing anything to help the plight of the Steve Irwin is that no one really care to do so and that, maybe sadly, is the truth.

I made a post about the show last week:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I think the OP is just an antimonoculturalist.

Humans will delete all unnecessary life forms from the planet and factory farm the animals we desire for sustenance. The future of our species requires the loss of other life forms.

Do you use weed killer on your lawn ?
Do you eat meat from cattle, swine, perhaps some fowl or fish ?

We are the dominant species on this rock, and as such, we'll consume every resource available to us.

[edit on 27/12/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Artificial_Eyebrows

I can't find it now but I remember reading an article not too long ago when a captain of a Japanese whaling ship was asked why he engaged in such a horrible profession.
His answer: "People love whale meat"

Please don't get me wrong, I am an advocate for those with no voice.

Yet there is such a simple, almost zen like, truth to that statement.

We are what we are indeed. I don't have to like it, but I have no response to it.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Artificial_Eyebrows

...there are better ways of research than harpooning them and dragging them into the ship while they are still alive, and then splaying them out on the deck as they collapse and suffocate from their own weight outside of water...

was almost afraid to come here - was pretty sure what I'd find

I can factor in the cultural aspects with the best of them - as well as the top of the food chain/king of the world angle

but I'm with you - if it were up to me it would stop today

no matter what your position on animal rights might be - there's never an excuse for torture

kill it or don't - but this is a crime

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolf241e
Well I agree with you that this whaling is really not necessary these days, the Japanese have always supplied their people with seafood including whale meat. They've been doing it forever.

I'm not disagreeing with you about it being a practice that I don't care for but please tell me you're not one of the crazy people. Please tell me I'm not going to see you next season on "Whale Wars" willing to trade your life for a whale.

The reason that no one is doing anything to help the plight of the Steve Irwin is that no one really care to do so and that, maybe sadly, is the truth.

I made a post about the show last week:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

I've seen whale wars but I don't really like that show and I don't think they are handling the situation properly. I read the thread that you made, and you ask why people choose to protect whales over other fish. Well, whales aren't fish they are actually mammals in the cetacean family. And they are incredibly smart to the point of being sentient and self aware. They even have their own language (but we don't know to what extent because they are hard to find and study for long periods). I hate to say this, but they are more worth protecting than tuna, salmon, and other fishes. I think this is because these fish do not have the necessary nervous system and brain capacity to be self aware or feel suffering.

But whales do, they are beautiful, sentient creatures that have brains larger than humans and have the ability to rival those of dolphins and canines. In fact, biologists have recorded different patterns in behaviour in humpback whales when their calves have been killed by predators. They stay close to the surface and let out long cries for days. In other words, they are very capable of suffering. You probably don't care much about this, but its very important to me..

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

explain

The future of our species requires the loss of other life forms.

explain better

[edit on 12/27/2008 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Humans will delete all unnecessary life forms from the planet and factory farm the animals we desire for sustenance. The future of our species requires the loss of other life forms.

Do you use weed killer on your lawn ?
Do you eat meat from cattle, swine, perhaps some fowl or fish ?

We are the dominant species on this rock, and as such, we'll consume every resource available to us.

You are just using social Darwinism to make yourself sound right, when morally it is the worst thing any species can do. Yes i use weed killer, but I don't eat mammals like cows, lambs, or pigs.

I dont understand why you think top predators should be allowed to "consume every resource" including animals. You are putting other animals on a different moral plane and then saying they are unworthy of living because we need them as resources.... so mean..

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I can't find it now but I remember reading an article not too long ago when a captain of a Japanese whaling ship was asked why he engaged in such a horrible profession.
His answer: "People love whale meat"

Please don't get me wrong, I am an advocate for those with no voice.

Yet there is such a simple, almost zen like, truth to that statement.

We are what we are indeed. I don't have to like it, but I have no response to it.

I wasn't trying to make the point that people should not eat whale meat when i started this thread. They can if they want to, they can go out and kill thousands of whales if they want to and then sell them at sushi bars if they wanted to. But in order to do this they must hunt the whales commercially and ethically, but instead they go under the disguise as researchers. That is what i am most against because after they collect tissue samples from whales on the research ships, they package and freeze the rest of the whale to be sold back in japan. The Nisshin Maru is basically just a commercial poaching ship disguised as a research ship.

top topics

join