It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia may take ex-Guantanamo inmates

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkPassenger

Originally posted by Wotan
Why cant they be sent back to their country of origin? or have I missed the point here?

According to the article, it's because they could be persecuted if returned to their home countries. Personally, I'm calling BS on that, already given my theory above. They should just find somewhere and release them already, instead of keeping them even longer now they've been cleared of whatever.

Then if that is the case, it is up to the US Government to house and feed them and look after them - It is their (USA's) F***up, its their responsibility.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by yizzel

Australia ceased being a penal colony before any currently living citizens were born - I agree Australia should take her share of the brutalized persons from these prisons because she was stupid enough to believe the word and lies of the US. Try to have a little couth when talking about nations you know nothing about please - there's enough ignorant hate-speak doing the rounds now.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkey

the australian gubbermentals do lock people up illegally. just ask me....it happened 3 times to mje personally in 2002 alone & guess what, i'm pissed right off about it too !!!!.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Source

Here's an update to this story, with some words from Malcolm Turnbull:

KEVIN Rudd should immediately reverse a decision to allow former Guantanamo Bay inmates to resettle in Australia, the Opposition said today.

Mr Turnbull said the inmates could arrive in Australia as refugees through existing migration processes.

"They cannot be accepted on the basis that they go into custody, because they haven't committed any crime under Australian law," he said.

"So what (Mr Rudd) has agreed to, with the Americans, is to accept Guantanamo Bay inmates for resettlement in Australia in our community as migrants and that is completely and utterly unacceptable to the Australian people and it's certainly unacceptable to the Coalition."

Predictably, Malcolm Turnbull is doing exactly what an Opposition Leader is supposed to do - oppose.

If Turnbull was in power, he would be the one taking the orders from the USA, with KRudd opposing. Politics is such a boring game to watch being played.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the update tezza

KRudd reckons, all persons accepted to come to Australia would have to meet Australia's strict legal requirements and go through the normal and extremely rigorous assessment processes.

TurnBull on the other hand finds this unacceptable. Instead they could arrive in Australia as refugees through existing migration processes.

So what's the difference?

You are right, Turnbull is doing what an opposition leader is supposed to.
Which ever way you play it, some will make it here though.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join