It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's The Thought That Counts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This belongs in the political section simply because it's about capitalism and the current worship of it.

Firstly i should say I'm not anti capitalist. Capitalism has built our world to the relative peace it is in. However something i saw today disgusted me.

I saw people crowding into stores trying to get bargains, desperately trying to get gifts for themselves and others, plowing over other people and fighting to spend money. This Christmas, as with every other Christmas my family has had, we gave each other small gifts. We can afford the expensive gifts but surely it's the thought that counts?

My father could have bought my mother an expensive necklace, instead he went halves with me on a hair straightener she really wanted. She was so happy with it, even though that gift was 1 quarter the price of an expensive necklace. I got a dvd i really wanted, but they could have afforded to buy me a new games console. Worst of all when visiting a friends house i saw someone really disappointed because their gift was poorly wrapped. I mean they got quite angry over it.

The point being is that it's the thought that counts! The price of the gift is completely unimportant and we seem to have lost that idea. How it is wrapped is not important, whether it's wrapped in gold paper or newspaper. We seem to judge love with money. The more money you spend the more you love someone apparently.

I'm so tired of people equating love with money, I'm just so saddened seeing it. When did we start thinking that love equals money?

Finally, when did we become so obsessed with possessions that we would trample others to get them at the cheapest price we could? Everyone loves a bargain, but to trample over others, to shove other people out of the way in the hope of saving a bit of money, is this really what who we are?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Hi, ImaginaryReality1984. This is truly sad, what has become of a holiday that is about sharing and loving and enjoying family, in the name of a person who shared his all for others. At least that is my take on Christmas. Today I drove to get some groceries, because with my family, we all get together after the Christmas day. So tomorrow we will have family gather at our house for two days and share stories with each other and catch up on news from other extended family members. I drove past Wal-Mart and the parking lot was filled to capacity. I shuddered to think of what I would face if I went shopping there to get my groceries. Instead I chose Krogers and, gee, it was calm and not very busy. I loved it!! And I calmly shopped for the things I knew my family would enjoy eating and snacking on while we gather in the best of the Christmas spirit: enjoying each others company and expressing the love we have for each other.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Hey, I'm with you 100%. When I asked my mother what she wanted, she said she wanted new bible, a particular type of study bible. It didn't cost that much, and I was glad to do it. My wife told me she wanted a new bible. She is close friends with the lady that owns the Christian bookstore in our town. I told her to "go see Belinda." A bible is something that really should be picked out by the person using it. A few days later she came home with one that she had picked out, after reviewing several. (I didn't make her wait until Christmas. I figured she might as well go ahead and use it.) Mom and I went halves on a fairly inexpensive digital camera for my brother. Again, he picked out one that he could work with and that he knew we could afford. Everyone got what they wanted, and to be honest, we were just happy we had another year together.
(In case you're wondering, my wife bought me a 12 string guitar, with rolled up change, which is staying true to a tradition in my home. Even before I met my wife, I paid for my guitars by emptying my pockets everyday. When I had enough, I would spend it on equipment.)

[edit on 26-12-2008 by kettlebellysmith]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Just to state that I'm an atheist, i didn't start this thread in regards to people forgetting about the message of Christmas (the religious one), it was more about the current worship of possessions. It's like people substituted one religion for another. In the past it was god and in modern times it's possessions.

To see people clamouring to get the best bargain they can, actively climbing over one another in fervent need to aquire a new shiny bauble, it was just disgusting.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Your post right there Sir, is why I hate jewelry commercials. 'He went to Jared,' 'A diamond is forever,' 'Every kiss begins with Kay,' etc. I saw this one commercial where this chick actually got peeved at her husband because he hadn't bought her any jewelry, when apparently, all her girlfriends spouses bought them something. I saw an episode of My Wife and Kids where Damon Wayans on-screen spouse made up a day just for the husbands to buy jewelry for their wives. Of course she got peeved when he bought her a pearl necklace instead of diamonds. Things like that make me ill. The fact that the media and certain people in our society think that way is really disheartening.

Chrono

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It is about the possessions. People love to show off expensive gifts and hide cheaper gifts. During holidays, i avoid the stores like a plague. I hate the rude people pushing, shoving, screaming just to get some simple gift. I remember one time a woman stole a brisket out of my hand cause I had picked up the best one. That was the last straw. Now I do my shopping when there isn't that many people. I personally buy what I can for my kids. I thank God that they are very understanding and appreciative about the things they receive.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You know the best gift i got this year? By best i mean the gifts i really loved.

A swiss army knife and a padlock. The swiss army knife i love because my old one broke and it shows someone put thought into the gift and the padlock because my hobby is lock picking and it again shows someone put thought into it.

Screw diamonds.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chronogoblin

Your post right there Sir, is why I hate jewelry commercials. 'He went to Jared,' 'A diamond is forever,' 'Every kiss begins with Kay,' etc. I saw this one commercial where this chick actually got peeved at her husband because he hadn't bought her any jewelry, when apparently, all her girlfriends spouses bought them something. I saw an episode of My Wife and Kids where Damon Wayans on-screen spouse made up a day just for the husbands to buy jewelry for their wives. Of course she got peeved when he bought her a pearl necklace instead of diamonds. Things like that make me ill. The fact that the media and certain people in our society think that way is really disheartening.

Chrono

I bow down to you, this is absolutely how i feel. I hate to generalise but women seem to be the worst of this ilk. Diamonds show love i suppose, after the whole de bears campaign to make people think diamonds were worth money. I wonder why women are usually the ones obsessed with material possession? Maybe a throw back to evolution where the male that could provide the most was the one they mated with.

Pardon my cynicism.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Exactly the point of my post. Everyone got what they wanted because they were asked, or in my case, because my wife put a lot of thought into it. She knows I love guitars in all shapes and sizes, ane even though I don't play extremely weill, it relaxes me, makes me happy, and by extension, makes her happy.
A lot of thought went into my wife's choice of a gift for me. Love is a great!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

At the risk of sounding like a male chauvinist pig(which I readily admit to being) women seem to like shiny baubles, the more expensive the better. I am forturnate, in that my wife doesn't care about those things. Must be some sort of genetic anomoly, because her mother was the gold digger from He**

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
At the risk of sounding like a male chauvinist pig(which I readily admit to being) women seem to like shiny baubles, the more expensive the better. I am forturnate, in that my wife doesn't care about those things. Must be some sort of genetic anomoly, because her mother was the gold digger from He**

That opinion has nothing to do with chauvinism, it's just what seems to happen and the current generation are the worst with is all. However it's not just women anymore, it's everyone think that the amount you spend is directly proportional to the amount you love someone.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I'm sorry OP but I don't see how this has anything to do with capitalism. It has everything to do with materialism and I agree with you that our society has gotten WAYYYYYY too materialistic. It's a drug... we don't have satisfying lives therefore we consume, consume, consume. I personally think all this will change - just like after Depression #1, people will be forced to "get back to basics". It's kinda of like an addict that requires an intervention (economic downturn) to realize that he needs rehabilitation.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Many centuries ago in England, when people lived in huts and worked the land and kept animals, they saved up food and drink for a winter festival at the end of December. They ate and drank themselves merry and it lightened up a very dark and miserable time of the year.

Eventually the country became Christian and somehow the old mid-winter festival became Christmas, which as society became materially richer, became more elaborate and expensive.

As a child just after World War 2, to get a pillowcase stuffed with nuts, dates and oranges was a joy, as food was still rationed by the government; and I also got some Japanese tin-plate toys made out of used tin cans.

Fast forward to modern times, and there won't be many children who'd put up with that. The Christmas and New Year shopping period has become quite close to being a Roman Gladitorial Contest to see who can get the most for the cheapest, and the Devil take the hindmost (to use an old English expression).

Thus I have given the season this name, which it richly deserves: Greedfest.

Sadly my family no longer take part in the mainstream Greedfest bash, preferring to have a modest amount of food, low cost presents where necessary, and so forth.

It gives me no pleasure to watch the greedy people you mention and is a symptom of a very sick society,

top topics

join