It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormons prepared for hard times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Mormons may be among the country's best prepared to weather the current economic hard times. Since the Great Depression, church leaders have preached a doctrine of self-reliance and selflessness, calling on members to plan for their own future while tending to the needs of others.

"It's a critical component of our theology," said Bishop David Burton, a senior church administrator who oversees the faith's worldwide welfare and humanitarian services programs.

Year's supply of emergency food
Members are encouraged to squirrel away a few months' worth of living expenses and stock a one-year supply of emergency food.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-12-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well, we know what is ahead for this country, and I would suggest taking a hint from the prepared Mormons. It was said a while back that Mormon churches were telling the people to prepare, what, a couple MONTHS of food?

NOW they are suggesting for everyone to have a years' worth of food because their own cash is running low and the church will not be able to help.

I really hope that the rest of us are prepared for these hard times, because the food boxes are running low on resources already and the worst is coming.

Not trying to doom and gloom, but I really believe a lot of people will not make it.

(visit the link for the full news article)

EDITED: because of headline problem

[edit on 26-12-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
We have started putting back extra food, in an effort to make sure we can at least have enough to eat. Lots of pasta, beans, rice, canned goods, keep the freezer full.
Actually thinking about buying another freezer. That way I can take advantage of specials on meats at the grocery store.
For anyone else thinking of doing this, date your goods and put the newest purchased to the back. Always rotate your stores. Same for the freezer. When you put meats in the freezer, writhe the date on the package and try to use it within six months. (I have used meat that has been frozen as long as a year, but it wasn't that tasty, or tender)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis

I really hope that the rest of us are prepared for these hard times, because the food boxes are running low on resources already and the worst is coming.

Not trying to doom and gloom, but I really believe a lot of people will not make it.

Not doom and gloom???

Mormons have been stockpiling for a long time.
I've been stockpiling double 00 shotgun shells.
And I'm close to having a 6 mo. supply of 9mm.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This is nothing new, the Mormon Church has been telling its members to put away at least a six months supply of food for decades. As I remember it the original mandate was 2 years supply, but since most members could achieve this level of preparedness easily the church mandated six months supply as a minimum.

I wouldn't read anything into this as proof of doom and gloom ahead however. The Mormons have used their stores during times of personal hardship, local disasters, and even some large scale disasters.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Well, that should be well known that the mormons have tons of grub. I mean, really dude, they have their own brand, "deseret".

Back in high school when mom couldn't afford food (yeah, there were aliens driving her nuts, and keeping her from leaving the house - she never left ever for awhile - they even had her food stamps "sanctioned" where you get almost none while she hid in the apartment), they took us grocery shopping, but, not only that... they later had some friends (friends from a long time ago, before my mom joined the church) take us to their "pantry", where they gave us an enormous amount of grub. I've never seen that much food in my life! I was starving to death here in America...

I mean, you're crazy for reading this, dude! I'm gonna have to call an ambulance or something for you... it was really that much stuff.

The only problem I had with it was that it wasn't intended for the health conscious, since the deseret brand of spaghetti sauce was full of MSG. Or at least back then it was.

Who ever heard of MSG in spaghetti sauce??

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Pffft, they aren't the best prepared cult - scientology have a special room designed to withstand an atomic war its full of guns, fuel and titanium tablets engraved with all hubbards bad sci-fi.

The armish are sitting pretty sweet for the time being but when SHF they're really going to regret not putting in a cache of fully autos

oh and lets not forget the catholics; they got a pile of gold, a private army and over two billions zerg drones! Pius they have a compound so well defended its never been taken.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
if i wanted an army of religous fanatics that will instantly obey any commandment from their "present day revelators" i would choose mormons.

christians are starting to belive to much in peace and think that the bible is the final word of god.

mormons switch everything up and add stuff as they please with present day revelations.

So the only religion that would listen to a commandement to kill others would be mormons.... and islam.

but islam isnt americas.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

I've been an inactive baptised morman for 30 yrs. All religion has it's own
quirks to there paticular beliefs of the bible, Old or new. Mormanism is no more A cult than any other religion, Be it foreign or domestic.
I can say if I was to attend church it would be the morman church, As I've had experiences with others.
The Lds. is not the Flds, And why not always be prepared for survival with food. Survival #1= food. And 9mm is A womans gun HA!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'm curious to know how many 9mm shells one needs for a month and how you made that determination? Cudos to the Mormons, they are telling their flock to stock-up and not take for granted that someone is going to take care of their needs. My family has been slowly building a stock pile of alot of the things mentioned previously. One thing I'll recommend are those Blue Tarps. You know the ones that keep things all dry and such. Multi purpose and easy to store. Can't go wrong with a couple of these.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Storing food is only half of it. You need to also know how to grow it. I have two 20foot squared gardens in my back yard and i can literally feed my family of 3 for the whole year. We eat some of it every day and freeze the rest. We still go to the grocery store for meat and other things but if the shtf we will be fine.
One of the things i like about gardens is that the meat will come to you. Rabbits and birds are always in my yard and a quick shot with a BB gun and dinnner is served.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
reply to post by whaaa

I'm curious to know how many 9mm shells one needs for a month and how you made that determination?

Well it's just a ball park figure and it really depends on how much raiding and plundering you intend to do. The warm weather months should keep me and my crew pretty busy so we expect to use about 200+or-, apiece, a day. But when we hunker down in a "confiscated" château when it gets cold we probably won't use any at all unless some yahoo comes around unannounced. Actually we're more concerned about gas for the bikes than ammo.

Do you think that sitX is gonna be like some hippie commune, livin off the land? Nah, it's gonna get real bloody; Mad Max will look like a sunday school picnic. But we still want to encourage all you folks to develop your animal husbandry and horticultural skills, and remember to keep all your goods in 5 gal. buckets; to keep it nice and fresh.

and GO, GO BYU!!

It'll be fun, you'll see!!

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Something else about Mormons, they are all encouraged to get their FCC Amateur Radio License and HAM radio equipment....very smart move. I am a HAM, and it will be a very valuable thing to have in times of crisis.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Cool thread, I was wondering though, If I bought some of those little bags of seeds, like tomato seeds and etc, how long can I store them without them going bad? I dont live in a strong hold so I would be forced to relocate but I thought having some seed bags might be a good idea if I find a permanent strong hold I could plant stuff.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tac109
Cool thread, I was wondering though, If I bought some of those little bags of seeds, like tomato seeds and etc, how long can I store them without them going bad? I dont live in a strong hold so I would be forced to relocate but I thought having some seed bags might be a good idea if I find a permanent strong hold I could plant stuff.

The small sealed little aluminium sachets of seeds will generally last about 5 years, but please note very often in those packets as little as 5% of the seed can actually be fertile, You need to by multiple packets of each plant you wish to grow and preferable each packet or sachet will be from a different batch.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

top topics

join