It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise!!! RNC chairman candidate defends 'Barack the Magic Negro' song...(?)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth
reply to post by Walkswithfish

You do know the Republican party was founded by anti-slavery activists, and it's first president was Abraham Lincoln, don't you? No, you probably don't, because facts arn't something you deal with on a daily, or yearly basis. Your argument is again, useless. Painting the entire party racists because of a song an African American wrote, produced, and sang on the Rush Limbaugh show, is beyond stupid.

But the GOP has changed. They don't want blacks in the party and the black people know it and This sad attempt at humor shows it.
I saw the GOP convention; white as rice. Fox tried to show the same black republicans over and over. It was so transparent to anyone with any discernment at all; they could see the transparent pandering.

Not only does the RNC not like blacks, they aren't to fond of Hispanics either even though President Bush appointed quite a few Tio Toms to his
administration; but the GOP lost the Hispanic vote with this....

blog.aflcio.org...

www.washingtontimes.com...

The fact that the GOP has become a "Whites Only" country club is what will
doom them to being of 3rd party status. Minorities just don't trust the GOP and with out the Hispanic vote. The Republicans are toast.

I'm a Republican and we brought it on ourselves. "Change" or live with it and quit the whining.

miamiherald.typepad.com...

www.city-data.com...

But the clincher that will spell the death of the GOP is that thinking, Moderate white people will recognize the sexism, racism, homophobia, corruption of the GOP Leaders like Rush and Sean and switch parties or form a more inclusive party. Right wing Republican conservatism is obsolete. If we don't get back to a Moderate Goldwater model; we deserve what we get.
Right wing extremism just don't cut it because people want comfort and peace not hate, fear, divisiveness and name calling; that is exhibited all to often by both sides, but to me it looks like the Right wingers are much more mean spirited, vitriolic and ugly.
Cowboy up Republicans and get with the program!!!
It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!

[edit on 27-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The song was sung by Bo Snerdly.

So the guy that freed the slaves was a racist? I wonder why Martin Luther King Jr. Was a part of the same political Party then....

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The song was sung by Bo Snerdly.

Wrong again... according to all credits it was written, produced and "sung" by Paul Shanklin... You can find a link to his profile in my previous post in this thread... Since facts matter to you, out of kindness I thought I'd let you know.

For balance perhaps we should hear from the first to go public with this song as he defends it...

Maybe the Saltsman issue is simply irrelevenat.

Nope, no racisim here.... Move along now children, please quickly return to your regular discussions of reptilians, aliens and UFOs etc.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

Maybe the Saltsman issue is simply irrelevenat.

Nope, no racisim here.... Move along now children, please quickly return to your regular discussions of reptilians, aliens and UFOs etc.

Thank you for pointing that out, I had thought Bo Snerdly sung it, probably because he's the self proclaimed "certified black enough to criticize obama" guy on rush's show.

Are white comedians allowed to make the same racial jokes that someone like, Chris Rock would make? Or is that simply "pushing it too far"? Apparently in your world you are only allowed to say certain things, and then only if you belong to a certain group. Did you make this thread because you have guilt about being a racist yourself? The reason I ask is because you seem to enjoy splitting people into groups, and identifying people by skin color. Or sex, or ideology, probably by sexual orientation, maybe one day you'll have fun identifying them another way, a nice numbered tattoo on their hands. That would be the next logical progression.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by aravoth]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The reason I ask is because you seem to enjoy splitting people into groups, and identifying people by skin color. Or sex, or ideology, probably by sexual orientation, maybe one day you'll have fun identifying them another way, a nice numbered tattoo on their hands. That would be the next logical progression.

You're a piece of work aravoth!! No... the next logical progression would be for people to lighten up and Live and Let Live. And quit splitting people in groups like fags, Libs, Tulip walkers, Majic Negros etc...

And what is truly sad is that Rush; rather than man it up and apologize to those he may have offended; he tried to spin it and try an make himself look like the victim. Rush has now turned into a detriment to the GOP, not an asset like he once was. Sure he has a loyal following but they couldn't even come close to winning any elections.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Boy! Some of you.

Here's a run down of the joke.

First a Newspaper person wrote a article about BHO, the paper is a little
"Left", the paper called BHO a "Magic Negro" .

Do you not see this part of the joke?? Isn't the Left supposed to be all inclusive? How dare a Right media say the same thing! What would happen if Fox news had said this?

The second part of the joke. Al Sharpton

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
Here's a run down of the joke.

The joke here should be apparent now, and it is funny.

Completely missing the point of this discussion to defend a joke that requires no defense... The song itself is not the issue, its use however in this case is. It does not really matter who wrote it or what it was based on.

Racist jokes are hardly new, and frankly no one really cares, but when a member of a major political party seeking to take a chair position sends a CD titled "we hate America" to fellow members and contains the Barack the magic negro song, it is news and at least worthy of discussion.

Some will see, others remain blind, racism prevails.

Apparently every step forward humanity takes, one step back in human evolution is required.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Something happened to my previous post. It's not all posted.
Oh well.

I'm not missing the point. The joke is on the LA paper, Al Sharpton, what ever Dem. politician called BHO "clean".

The joke is on the Democrats. It shows their disingenuous toward BHO and minority citizens in general.

Should the candidate give this as a gift to Republicans? Hell yeah! The first Amendment is still in play or are the Democrats going to legislate it into the abyss like they will try to do the the 2A?

Are there other candidates running for this office? If so then those that vote will have something to ponder.

Roper

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
This is interesting...enews.earthlink.net.../4955b650_3ca6_1552620081227-1283558275

Almost an apology.

Like they say out on the Ranch; when you step in BS, scrape off your feet before you go in the house.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Your link didn't work for me. Is this the story?

New Link

Because it doesn't sound much like an apology to me.

In spite of RNC Chairman Robert M. "Mike" Duncan's sharply negative reaction, former Tennessee GOP leader Chip Saltsman said that party leaders should stand up to criticism over distributing a CD with the song.

I'm pretty sure Saltsman has sealed his fate as regards his hope for the chairman seat.

Saltsman said: "Liberal Democrats and their allies in the media didn't utter a word about David Ehrenstein's irresponsible column in the Los Angeles Times last March. But now, of course, they're shocked and appalled by its parody on the 'Rush Limbaugh Show.'

How can he call the column "irresponsible" and then defend what he did as just a fun joke?? And it doesn't sound like the "Liberal Democrats" are the only ones who are shocked and appalled...

I wonder... doesn't "Chip" see how potentially divisive this is? Because the current chairman clearly does:

"I am shocked and appalled that anyone would think this is appropriate, as it clearly does not move us in the right direction."

Defenders of Saltsman's Christmas CD generosity keep referring to the original article in the LA Times as if to say, "He started it"! But that's about as childish and ignorant as distributing the CD in the first place.

But if you've read the piece (or know black history in Hollywood) you already know where the term "Magic Negro" originated and what it means. Clearly, many people do not. And it's probable that many who received this CD (and maybe Saltsman himself) don't really "get it", and think it's just a funny way to make fun of a black guy.

It's not so much racist against black people as telling of how filmmakers have used black people over the years to add a bit of 'magic' to their story.

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org... .

He's there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.
Poitier really poured on the "magic" in "Lilies of the Field" (for which he won a best actor Oscar) and "To Sir, With Love" (which, along with "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," made him a No. 1 box-office attraction). In these films, Poitier triumphs through yeoman service to his white benefactors. "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" is particularly striking in this regard, as it posits miscegenation without evoking sex. (Talk about magic!)

So, it's my contention that the reason "Liberal Democrats" didn't foam up when this article came out (if they indeed didn't) is because it explained the meaning of the phrase for those who weren't familiar with it, removing the "racist" context from the phrase.

Saltsman's CD gift thrust the song on unsuspecting Grand Old Party members who probably have no clue and had never heard the phrase. Can you imagine hearing it for the first time, in a gift from a fellow committee member?
I would have loved to seen their faces! "What the..."??? I mean, we've just made history by electing our first black president and this is Saltsman's idea of good fun? Distributing a CD that makes fun of Obama as a "Magic Negro"? I don't know for sure, but I would bet some on that committee are furious at this guy for the stain he's put on the party.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I wonder... doesn't "Chip" see how potentially divisive this is?

Of course he does not, that is the wonderful evil of racism in these times, most people who are racist cannot see it, they shroud it in humor, find ways to justify what they say and do but never believe they are racists.

In reality either you are or are not.

Many people are quite good at hiding their racism, some totally out in the open with it, and a few so totally stupid that they will do something like what Saltsman has done and see nothing wrong with it.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I see what you mean. But this seemed sort of apologetic.

"The 2008 election was a wake-up call for Republicans to reach out and bring more people into our party," Duncan said in a statement. "I am shocked and appalled that anyone would think this is appropriate as it clearly does not move us in the right direction."

But yeah, the Saltster was in complete spin mode; as he goes down in flames.

And it's very true and refreshing to hear this coming out of the GOP instead of the usual finger pointing like Rush "the finger" Limbaugh likes to do.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Some like it, Some Like it Not

“This is so inappropriate that it should disqualify any Republican National Committee candidate who would use it,” Newt Gingrich, a Republican former House speaker, said in an e-mail message. Referring to Mr. Obama, Mr. Gingrich said, “There are no grounds for demeaning him or for using racist descriptions.”

Saul Anuzis, the chairman of the Michigan Republican Party and another candidate for party chairman, said, “This isn’t funny, and it’s in bad taste.”

Just a couple of comments from GOP members who are speaking against Chip's gift.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Thank you, BH for posting that. I stand corrected. The joke has context, it just happens to be archaic. I had never heard the term before, but it sounds like an update of another term that few would deny has racist connotations.

Though I still don't think it's funny even in context.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
That's about how I think of it, Traveler. I'm not really offended by it (I've seen and LOVED every Sidney Poitier movie) but I certainly don't find the song funny. It's uncomfortable and odd. A bit like a song about "Sarah Palin, the baby-maker". You can imagine some offensive lyrics, but overall, it's just kinda stupid.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You would think so, I'm a piece of work for pointing out fish's racist overtones? Nothing can drive a person more insane than a person who splits people into groups, then pins racism on someone else because they don't.

I do not and will never understand people's obsession with racial group identity. The OP of this thread can't get enough of it, neither can the people who bring up Obama's race. Interestingly enough, the people bringing up his race are not the people who criticize him, rather it is mostly his supporters. Which isn't surprising to me at all. Because that is simply what collectivists do.

They also make blanket statements, like "Republican's don't want them blacks in their parteh!" Sorta like what you posted at the top of the thread.
Sorry you can't see the hypocrisy here. A bunch of saviors preaching equality, yet at the same time preaching a different set of standards based on a fabricated group identity, which was generated by self guilt for thinking less of someone because of how they looked.

So what do you have now? These same idiots trying to "help" that certain group, because they have convinced themselves that there is no way a minority group can make in life without outside assistance. You have thought police like the OP, outraged by a white comedian making fun of a black Icon, and yet, no mention of racists jokes inherent in a Chris Rock routine. And we have you, telling everyone you know that the GOP hates black people. Because you saw on TV that only white people went to watch John Mccain drool.

Wow, I stand in awe, you guys are the most socially advanced people on the face of the planet.

I'm not saying the comedian was right, or that Rush Limbaugh was right, But I am saying that every single one of you that cried about this while justifying the opposite, is wrong.

It is people like you and the op, that have set civilization back. You victimize millions of people because of stupid differences they have with you, because you know, deep down, you are better than them, and they need your help, if they are ever going to make it.

Like The OP said..

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

It really does not matter what anyone does to clear Obama on ANY issues or allegations. There are some who simply will not accept anything other than the fact that Obama is Black he is president and there must be a conspiracy, he must be a criminal because he is black and sooner or later we will find something that sticks to him so we can throw him in jail with the other blacks where he belongs, and get him out of our WHITE house.

Maybe in time the RNC can start a new push to reenact old legislation which would allow the lynching of any disobedient house Negros?

Looking racism in the face is often extremely ugly and painful, especially when you realize you are looking in a mirror.

Look at this load of crap especially the irony of the OP's final quote. And you call me a peice of work? lol ok....

Hyporcritcal BS.

Have fun calling every person that disagrees with Obama a racist. Seems to be working out for ya real well lately! God help us all if you reproduce and multiply.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

If I opened even one pair of eyes it was all worth it.

Someone needed to do it.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

What you're a martyr now? Save your vitriol for for your next Klan meeting. You're no hero. Not even close.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
By defending the song...could he also be defending the liberal LA Times who originally put the phrase on Barack?

www.latimes.com...

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org... .

He's there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.

Ah but you see, we are supposed to ignore the facts. When the extraordinarily left-wing LA Times calls Barack Obama the "magic negro" no one pays attention. When Rush Limbaugh simply copies the phrase, why its RACISM!

People are so blinded by their partisan propaganda...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LowLevelMason

I explained in this post why people probably didn't have a reaction to the LA Times article but did to this CD.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join