It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise!!! RNC chairman candidate defends 'Barack the Magic Negro' song...(?)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
OK, is this a surprise?

A candidate for the Republican National Committee chairmanship said Friday the CD he sent committee members for Christmas -- which included a song titled "Barack the Magic Negro" -- was clearly intended as a joke."I think most people recognize political satire when they see it," Tennessee Republican Chip Saltsman told CNN. "I think RNC members understand that."

The song, set to the tune of "Puff the Magic Dragon," was first played on conservative political commentator Rush Limbaugh's radio show in 2007.

Its title was drawn from a Los Angeles Times column that suggested President-elect Barack Obama appealed to those who feel guilty about the nation's history of mistreatment of African-Americans. Saltsman said the song, penned by his longtime friend Paul Shanklin, should be easily recognized as satire directed at the Times

CNN News

Now THAT is funny...

Well we wanted change. Here it is.

Never underestimate the power of race in politics.

Of course the RNC can see the humor here, so we can all assume that it is Okay and have a good laugh right?

Nope, no race cards being played here, just good ole American humor!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I've heard the song and it's funny.

I am also not a Republican.

Roper

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I just read this as I was skimming the online news... Pretty hard to believe Saltsman didn't think this would cause a problem.

The CD is titled "We Hate the USA"... What is this man trying to say with this "gift" to his fellow committee members? I suspect there are plenty that didn't "get" his "funny little joke".

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

At what point does a person in political office NOT become a target of satire? Every impersonator worth his salt did impressions of Nixon.Every president in recent years has been lampooned by Carson,Leno and Letterman.
Does Mr.Obama become immune because of his race? I think not. As evidenced by most comedians,there are no boundries to humor."Barack the Magic Negro" Well,it made me laugh.I can just see him with a little pointed hat,saying hocus-pocus while waving his magic wand as he turns congress into a bunch of idiots. Oh that's right they already are idiots.

For his next trick.....

Anyway,what offends you the most. The allusion that Barack is in some way magic?

[edit on 26-12-2008 by daddyroo45]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

Anyway,what offends you the most. The allusion that Barack is in some way magic?

The illusion of no racism is in many ways offencive, but rather revealing.

Glad you had a good laugh!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Lets examine the lyrics...

Barack the Magic Negro lives in D.C.
The L.A. Times, they called him that
'Cause he's not authentic like me.

Yeah, the guy from the L.A. paper
Said he makes guilty whites feel good
They'll vote for him, and not for me
'Cause he's not from the hood.

See, real black men, like Snoop Dog,
Or me, or Farrakhan
Have talked the talk, and walked the walk.
Not come in late and won!

Refrain:
Oh, Barack the Magic Negro, lives in D.C.
The L.A. Times, they called him that
'Cause he's black, but not authentically.

(repeat Refrain)

Some say Barack's "articulate"
And bright and new and "clean"
The media sure loves this guy,
A white interloper's dream!

But, when you vote for president,
Watch out, and don't be fooled!
Don't vote the Magic Negro in...

What a hoot!

I can clearly see why the RNC chairman wannabe would defend this kind of humor, or "satire" ..... Can you?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
What OB is not realy magic after all?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

If ignorance is bliss, Republican's are in nirvana. And how can that be debated? Rush Limbaugh is most fervent supporter of racism...besides Hal Turner.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dangleb3rry
What OB is not realy magic after all?

In at least one way Obama is magic, by having the audacity to run for and win the election for president he magically found a way to force suppressed racism to rise to the surface and expose itself in a myriad of fascinating ways.

Still waiting for a member to show up for a discussion which may reveal his true colors, however that may not ever happen.

Looking racism in the face is often extremely ugly and painful, especially when you realize you are looking in a mirror.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
By defending the song...could he also be defending the liberal LA Times who originally put the phrase on Barack?

www.latimes.com...

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org... .

He's there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Does Mr.Obama become immune because of his race?

Absolutely not! But do you think his race should be the focus of people's "lampooning" of him?

Make fun of what he does, says or how he talks, and go ahead and even make fun of his race, but when you do, don't be surprised when people start thinking or calling you a racist (I'm not thinking that).

There are no boundaries to comedy, but when you step into the racial foray, there IS going to be a backlash.

The part of the song that offends me is the part that says white people voted for him to make themselves feel better. And I'm not really even what I'd call "offended" at that.

I just find the whole sending out of the CD to committee members very divisive, as if to say that Democrats (I'm not one) hate America and here are some songs to make fun of them with. That's just divisive and strange to me.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

That is a funny twist and/or argument in defence of.

Have you heard the song?

Watch and listen...

www.youtube.com...

Now tell me how the article you posted can be used to defend the production of the above, as well as members of the RNC sharing the CD which contains that catchy tune?

I am all for good humor, however I fail to see it in this case, and frankly anyone who does needs to look deep within then attempt to determine exactly why.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

So where is the line drawn? What constitutes good/poor taste? "Magic Negro", what I gather from what you posted, is an archetype, and the LA Times illustrating that is an example critical inquiry of world happenings, as the LA Times should be doing as a supposed institution of critical inquiry.

So, take another. If there was a story on FOX about Bush along the lines of "Cowboy Foreign Policy" and some satirist wrote a song about Bush, cowboys, gay-cowboys, and Jeff Gannon...it would not be in poor taste? You'd argue that FOX NEWS, a conservative media-outlet, was the first to use the term to describe him?

Tdoes not matter. Both instances are in poor taste, and that is all anyone is saying.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

So where is the line drawn?

Sadly, there is no line to draw. Just watch ANY comedy program or any radio talk show, regardless of what ethnicity the comedian is, there seems to be nothing that is off-limits.
If one is to say something is in bad taste the retort will be "my 1st amendment rights allow me to say ANYTHING I WANT."

[edit on 26-12-2008 by Muundoggie]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
aww those pesky republicans and their free speech!! maybe one day the lib dems can get rid of free speech, wouldnt that be grand!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Aside from the fact that the song is poorly written, it doesn't effect me one way or another. The limp satire shows a lack of imagination and skill on the writer's part. Perhaps a comedian would have done better.
What the song does is to show the "sour grapes" attitude of the GOP. I believe that many Americans voted for Obama not because he was of mixed race but because he was the better man for the job. Perhaps McCain and Palin were sacrificed by the GOP to allow their better players to have untarnished campaigns in 2012. John McCain's team dislayed their ineptitude [or suicidal bent] by selecting Blinky Palin without looking past her hairdo. The GOP defeat not only deprived the public of questionable leadership but also, more importantly, many great satirical songs about clueless Sarah.
Think of how many rhymes there are for "you betcha!" What a comedic goldmine we lost.

[edit on 12/26/2008 by pteridine]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I think I'll make up a Blues for the GOP and Mr. Saltsman...
I'ts just all in good fun.... Just Satire right....

Let's use the old standard I,IV,V progression In G. so the harp player can play along with his C harp.

Hey, Salty is you a Jew?
Hey Mr. Salty is you a Jew?
Loser crybaby, that all you do.

Harp solo....

Sarah Palin brought you losers down
Sweet meat Palin brought you losers down
Crybaby, Crybaby, wipe off dat frown

Please Jew boy Salty, don't look so sad
Po Lil Jew boy Salty's mighty sad
8 yr's of Mr. Obama won't be so bad

Guitar solo ......

Hey el Rushbo, Oxy dull da pain
Pop another Oxy for dat funky ole pain
You happy now, you helped bring down Sarah and McCain

Now Joe de plumber man, he sad too
Po Joe de plumber, he all sad too
GOP use you up, now dey thru wit you

Guitar and Harp, call and response vamp out.....

to be continued

ASCAP copyright rules apply here.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Does Mr.Obama become immune because of his race?

Absolutely not! But do you think his race should be the focus of people's "lampooning" of him?

Make fun of what he does, says or how he talks, and go ahead and even make fun of his race, but when you do, don't be surprised when people start thinking or calling you a racist (I'm not thinking that).

There are no boundaries to comedy, but when you step into the racial foray, there IS going to be a backlash.

The part of the song that offends me is the part that says white people voted for him to make themselves feel better. And I'm not really even what I'd call "offended" at that.

I just find the whole sending out of the CD to committee members very divisive, as if to say that Democrats (I'm not one) hate America and here are some songs to make fun of them with. That's just divisive and strange to me.

Are you kidding? How many Black comedians make fun of white people because they are white without any backlash? If you can't remember any watch the kings of comedy dvd, martin lawerance dvds, kat williams dvd, bernie mac dvds.

A white comedian lampooning Obama because he is black automatically counts as him being racist? I sense a double standard.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Here is my little diddy, dedicated to the RNC and its toadies, like faux news! Enjoy! After all its only a little joke!

"RUSH, the magic gas bag lived by the sea
And frolicked in the hot tub with lots of other RNC fellows,
Little Rollie Pollie Rove loved that rascal RUSH,
and brought him hill billy herion and loads of lies.

OH RUSH, the magic gas bag lived by the sea
RUSH, the magic gas bag lived by the sea

Together they would travel on a airforce one with silky underwear
Rovie kept a lookout perched on RUSH's little ol' tail,
Corrupt presidents and congressmen would bow whenever they came,
Main steam media would lower their rhetoric when RUSH roared out his name

A druggy lives forever in his own sick twisted mind
Telling lies and spewing untruths and other dirty tricks.
One grey night it happened, Rollie Pollie Rove came no more
And RUSH that mighty druggy, he ceased his spew his venom.

Little Rollie Pollie Rove loved that rascal RUSH,
and brought him hill billy herion and loads of lies.

His head was bent in sorrow, he cried like a school girl,
RUSH no longer went to play with other RNC fellows.
Without his life-long friend, RUSH could not be brave,
So RUSH that mighty druggy sadly slipped into obscurity.

And frolicked in the hot tub with lots of other RNC fellows!"

[edit on 12/26/08 by mel1962]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join