Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Sleeping giants

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Why do people work 9 to 5? 5 days a week? (on average)

If everyone suddenly decided that they were not going to go to work 5 days a week, decided that maybe 3 to 4 would suit them better. If everyone did this. Then no one could do anything about it. We are only working 5 days a week, 9 to 5, (Average quoting time at work) because we are all living in Civil obedience! and being told how long we should be at work for in a day beacuse we are feeding hungry MASSIVELY rich companys money that we will only get the forth from the top of.

My question therefore is, "why do we put up with this!" and if you knew your fellow work mates and people would do the same would you stand up and change how much time you work, rather than play and enjoy life, for the same amount of money!

People have the power, do they not? Are we just sleeping Giants with a massive amount of power if only we stood up together and stood in our own power?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by misuneko

We are indeed sleeping giants. However, I highly doubt that people are going to unify and rise up in the break room to get an extra day off.

You'd have to proove to those who already know 9 to 5, why it's NOT a good idea, then, after that rooted, try to chang the way the corperations think. Honestly, you'd have a better chance of getting a nickle to Mar using nothing but your breath as propellent.

Actually, a 9 to 5 (5 day a week job) is not that bad a gig nowadays. I've worked 12 hour and 16 hour shifts. THOSE suck!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I work 2 days a week, 12 hr shifts, and it's counted as full time. I pick up an extra day every week to help out, until they find a replacement for that shofe but it's because I want too. A lot of companies, especially in health care have gone to "creative scheduling," and explanding some benefits, in order to attract the right kind of staff.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I work 2 days a week, 12 hr shifts, and it's counted as full time. I pick up an extra day every week to help out, until they find a replacement for that shofe but it's because I want too. A lot of companies, especially in health care have gone to "creative scheduling," and explanding some benefits, in order to attract the right kind of staff.

I believe what the OP is getting at is that we should start thinking for ourselves instead of following everyone else.

If we were to stand up and do something together, thinking of others, then we can change this world forever. However it is evident in your post that you do not understand what the OP was hinting at and you are in the majority.

This to me outlines exactly why we are in the situation. The truth is human beings are dangerous because we don't understand the most simplest things even if they are put straight in front of our eyes. Instead what we do is mold it into what we believe is true to ourselves instead of thinking of others.

To change we have to know what we are changing.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by franspeakfree]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
work blows!!!

work = slave

And the worst thing is ITS POINTLESS

anyone wanna build a huge pyramid?? meh lol

wonders off into the dark

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Yes excatly right.. People just dont understand!

Just hope they come around sooner rather than later.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith

......where the heck is 24 hrs per week considered full time????? That creative scheduling thing is pretty sweet. Personally, i'd like to work 40hrs straight and take the rest of the week off.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

You are told to work, its drilled into you at a young age this is what you have to look forward to,... your career, your career path! We are all brain washed that this is LIFE. There are only a few people who run this world compared to millions like you who obey and do what you think is "right" to get money.. oh and you can do overtime to help pay your bills.. Can you not see what you are saying.. can you not see beyond what your everyday life involves and who is controlling that.

Take control of your life and see how simple it is at seeing that you are being controlled because you want to be controlled..or you simply are not aware of someone else controlling you!

Do you really want to have to work 12 hour shifts? do you even need to, if you were given the choice to break free of how a few people have told the many to run their lives?

We all have this choice its just so many do not see it.

You could say this way of life doesnt have to be our reality anymore, yet we believe that it is the only reality because we obey what the few people in power tell us, and we slave away doing 12 hour shifts to pay our rent and we asume when we get paid we have the freedom to make our own choices in life, (What we buy, what we eat) We have no power because we are giving our lives away... to conform and save our pennies and live in fear of taking control of our own lives.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I worked this out 2 years ago, well for my self anyway!!

I left school at the age of 15 and worked EVERYDAY since! That is until 2 years ago.

The thing is, for the past 2 years i havent worked. I chose NOT to work because the way i see it is, i spent 22 years working and paying TAX to BIG companys just so that they can live the life of luxury. I would hate to add up the money ive put into the SYSTEM.

Well, not anymore. Im not being fooled into this game anymore. I survive on £120 per week, have the best of health and guess what, i live the life of luxury, perhaps not in the sense of luxury = money but for my way of life!

Over the next few years things will get really bad were we will see more and more people out of work. Those people will come alive [ in spirit ] and realise that working for people who feed of others will no longer apply.

Live your own life for yourselves, NOT other people

Respect!!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
If you are a Registered Nurse, hospitals will pretty much kiss your a$$ to get you to work. I work Sunday and Monday, scheduled days, no overtime, and get paid $34.00 an hr. ($22.00 an hr + $12.00 weekend shift diff.). If I pick up extra days by my choice, I get base pay until I hit 40 hrs. Then I go into overtime. It's a sweet deal, and I'm going to ride this bull just as long as I can. (Been riding for 4 years so far.)
Some hospitals require a Friday, Saturday and Sunday schedule in order to get paid the way I do, and my organization has since changed the way the pay schedule for new hires, but let us old farts grandfather in at the old rate.
For those of you who are out of work, laid off, whatever, let me tell you, if you have the appitude, the heart, the empathy for it, get into health care. People are always going to be sick and they are going to require help. It may be physical therapy, Nursing, Occupational therapy, Medical technician, phelebotomist, x-ray tech, but there is a market. And if Obama get his healthcare package passed, there is going to be a bigger demand.
And guys, I became a Nurse back in the day when people thought all men who went into nursing were gay. I'm not gay, and most of the men who were in nursing weren't gay. So, I don't care whether you've been working on Wall street, or on an assembly line in Detroit, there are other things you can do. You just have to get in school.
Don't have the money? Folks, there are grants and scholarships out there that will let you get through without having to borrow money. All you have to have is access to a computer and patience. Do NOT borrow money to go back to school. It's not necessary.
And trust me. I know it can be done. When I went through LPN school, and later RN school, I worked full time, until my last semester of RN school. There was just too much too do. I didn't have much time to myself, but I managed to maintain a decent grade point average, meet and court my present wife, and graduate on schedule.
AS an aside, my dad had been diagnosed with lung cancer during my last semester. The director of the nursing program encouraged me to drop our and finish later. Her intentions were good. She feared I would be too distracted to pass boards. I refused. I was afraid my dad wouldn't live to see me graduate. I was glad for my decsion. Had I waitd a year, my dad would not have been physically able to attend my graduation.
Everyone in my class, with the exception of one, (not me), passed their boards on the first try. That was 30 years ago. I married my wife two days after graduation.
I've been nursing, all in all, 38 years, and have done every thing from ER to Home Health to ICU.
It's been one hell of a ride.
And it's a suggestion for those who are out of work for what ever reason

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I think if you just stick to the "average" sleep routine, going to sleep ususally no later than 11:30pm then we naturally wake up near 8:00am

I don't know, I just seems fine to work on average from the morning, even early morning until the early evening, or late afternoon.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I would love to just not work somedays, just say forget it i'll make it up later, but that's unfortunatly not how my job works

There are some jobs that have adopted the 4 days a week work schedule, where you get every friday off, and you work just a little bit longer monday-thursday.

It's just how things are, we could change it, but we would all have to change it mutually, some are just fine the way things are.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
People work the hours they do because that is what the market decides. Same with pay rate.

In this part of the world, if you only pay minimum wage you won't have any employee's. The lowest payrate that you can find is about 8 bucks an hour in my town. That is where it starts. Considering i pay only about 500 a month on a really nice 3 bedroom house with a separate den and dining room (all natural wood floors, etc, with central heat and AC), 8 bucks an hour isn't so bad.

same with work hours. if you aren't willing to work your hours, someone else is. It is smart business to manage to the market.

I used to manage about 300 employees in a call center. we had our policies and rules, but they were all relative to the labor market. when the oil field started to boom, i just figured out ways to stretch the rules to keep folks employed. when the labor pool was full, we could be more "choosey".

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I do not think you guys are "understanding my post" sorry!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Does anyone understand when I say, "Why are you working such long hours. why be part of the pyramid system and a small part at that which gets crushed by the top just so you can get by and keep things status quo?

Isnt anyone tired of having to conform? Does anyone think outside the box about how to change themselves and others for the better...

We we carry on thinking thoughts like "there is always someone else to fill your role" how can we change!!! Doesnt anyone want to change on here???

Are you all happy with your lifes?

Happy balancing on the fence while people try to kick you down so they can walk on it just like you, in your place for the same options you choose just because its whats happening in society.

Working hours that are long less time off for your personal life, less time with family in a day, cus you have to work more hours in a day.

Is that fair on you?

Is it fair that at 9L30am or whenever you work you probably spend more time at work than at home with family, is that fair?

Is it fair that big business are making masses of money each day that you may never earn in a life time and yet you still struggle to pay the bills have your wants your needs. Or are you just going to take what you can get and settle for the best thing that this society offers you or do you sometimes think that this whole way of exsistance is distructive and unfair to the average human who has a family that he/she wants to spend time with but cant because they have to work?

Unless of course you are doing a job that is what you really want to be spending your life doing each day, and it is your life..and your happy to make it your life.. regardless of if you were getting paid for it.

Dont you sometimes question why on earth am i working so many hours and why more time isnt spend with my family?

(If every company lets say the 9 to 5 companies changed to 11am to 2pm, say everyone did this for 9 to 5 job, (not those that needed 24hr coverage, like medical of course) if they all did that, so what about the businesses not making a bigger profit.. it wouldnt matter! does anyone understand that?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
i regret to in form you your point of view is small and unherd. what would that solve. Haven't you herd? we do as we are ment to do and nuthing more. and if that means falling in line with that majority of drones so be it. and I don't go to work at all for the time being.i just see your socail structure as an organism and we are its cells.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Yes, i understand that clearly.

However, work is what creates. It is what builds. It is how improvement happens. If you don't work (for something) what value is your life?

Also consider...could Muslims be more militant due to the time they have on their hands? That saying, "Idle hands are the devils playground" comes to mind.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Then what about an exchange of energy recieves food? not money.. and by no means a minimum amount for all the hard work some people put into their day. An exchange of energy in "building" or "helping" eachother would be better than working all day long just to get paid £40 a day? An exchange of money that is FAIR to what you actually do. Come on you think all these rich bankers in the city desire the thosands they make? The bonus that they recieve! Hardly fair.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I am not saying "dont work" i am saying we are working to many hours in a day, for what reason? to make businesses earn more money... so they can earn more money!

Of course we can WORK so we progress and develop but why work such long hours to only be paid the tip of the ice burg that the businesses make each day!

My point is, we do not need to work so many hours in a day just so businesses can make more money!

Sure if your working in a hospital and you feel your work is live saving which it would be and you want to work those hours to help save lifes so be it. However look at advertisers and promotion work, Broadcastings, bankers, what purpose does it serve only that of the profits to the company to make the people work such long hours!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I work because i enjoy creating, building. I enjoy doing something useful, that creates something that will be there tomorrow.

I manage call centers. My joy comes from providing solid direction and leadership to those who work under me. My decisions provide security for them, as i turn profits for my company (a third party vendor to larger companies who use our services), as well as high quality customer service to our clients. I enjoy what i do, and can't wait to get into work every day.

Now, i lost my job when the local labor pool dried up recently (the oil boom took too many people out to the oil fields, and left too little for other businesses). And I am getting plenty of downtime to be with my family. But i am going stir crazy and need to get back to work. It is how i identify myself.

Yes, i made my former employer loads of cash (improving our local bottom line by well over 1000% in my tenure). I was paid horribly for it (about 60% of what i could have made with a competitor). But the return for me was the sheer joy i recieved from being allowed to do my job to the best (recieving multiple awards from my company for my performance) and being to able learn new skills and abilities. I was happy to work "9-5", and often put in more like "9-9" just so i could make sure my job was done properly.

There are more people out there like me. To compete with us, you have to work as hard as us. We are what sets the bar.

Perhaps you should move to France? LOL....they seem to share you opinion about work.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
All people who are complaining about work are born 300 years to early..
I have three kids at home so i just finished watching "Wall-E" for the 30th time and i believe this is what the future has in store for us. No work anymore for anybody. Robots will be doing pretty much everything we now have to do but this creates a new problem...where are we gonna get the motivation to do things??
Sure there are people who will be able to fill there free time like artists and scientists but most of us will just mindlessly consume and be happy with it.
I say be happy with the fact we still have a purpose and enjoy the fact you are still needed......it won't allways be like this.

JUST MY TWO CENTS.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join