It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constitutional Crisis In Canada - Above Politics SE01

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
Oh, and Intrepid, if I offended your delicate sensibilities earlier, I apologize, however I did not believe any of my words were out of line, given the forum we are posting in. As a matter of fact, they sum my thoughts up on this coalition travesty rather well.

Are you an informed and educated voter, or just an lefty-moonbat idealist?

That wasn't out of line? I'm offended because I'm a conservative and posts like that cast us all in a bad light. We can do without it.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If you believe I was out of line, you are entitled to that opinion. In case you hadn't noticed, I am passionate about my country and will not stand idly by while a bunch of wannabes steals my vote and Parliament with it. Partisanship aside, are you prepared to watch our country get sideswiped?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Partisanship aside, are you prepared to watch our country get sideswiped?

No and it's in Harper's hands. If he didn't go after the financial backing of the other parties we wouldn't be here. He played nasty politics when he shouldn't have. He got called on it. A coalition won't work. This minority gov't won't work either if Harper keeps acting like he has a majority. He's got to play ball now. He's the one that gambled calling the past election. Now he's got to deal with the outcome.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
As things are, I suspect that we are going back to the polls very soon.

However, at least the stupid coalition is over. Pull the plug on the attempted NDP coup of the Liberal party.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
However, at least the stupid coalition is over. Pull the plug on the attempted NDP coup of the Liberal party.

That option isn't out yet. I'm not sold on Harper's ability to negotiate. Proroguing parliament just bought him time. I hope it also bought him some wisdom.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It may have bought Harper time as you say Intrepid, but I think what's more important is that it bought the country the time necessary to reflect on this coalition nonsense and discover it for what it really is. A complete and utter scam perpetuated by several people who have zero chance of moving into 24 Sussex through conventional methods and know full well the only way to get there is to cheat. Plain and simple.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I agree with the current evaluation. To point a finger - Jack Layton's fingerprints all over this. He would love to become Vice-PM.

A new election would produce similar results to the last based on current sentiments cross country.

So a stalemate exists while the Libs watch and wait for a Harper misstep of magnitude.

Meanwhile American and foreign investors looking more interested in Canada as a safer place to park their money than the US due to it's reputation for economic and political stabilty will scratch their heads hearing that the government was almost overthrown.

Mike F

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

... A complete and utter scam perpetuated by several people who have zero chance of moving into 24 Sussex through conventional methods and know full well the only way to get there is to cheat. Plain and simple.

Excuse me? You say the elected members of Parliament excercising their rights is "cheating"? You really are buying up Harper's rhetoric.

Typically, when parliament votes no confidence, or where it fails to vote confidence, a government must respond in one of two ways: 1.)resign 2.)seek a parliamentary dissolution and request a general election

source

Everyone has done everything within the rules of Parliament. Even Harper's proroguing was completely within his right to do so, however the honourable thing would have been for him to resign.

I do hope, however, that we end up with some sense of stability within government and clear, inspired direction for a rocky future. It's pretty clear that the majority of Canadians will not tolerate a neo-conservative, republican style of government. That's why Harper did not receive a majority endorsement. And if it takes the Bloc Qubecois vote to maintain our unique identity, so be it.

Canada remains a healthy, unique country, strengthened by our ability to tolerate and embrace other cultures.
We should not be afraid of a procedure which encourages multi-party discussion, comittment and cooperation to run our country.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by solo32_98]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I think Canada lacks a clear direction as a socio-economic entity.

We provide natural resources to the US and govern ourselves with a socialized parliamentary system. Not rich but economically secure.

Harper squeaked in as power shifted to the West with oil prices rising. Also as a reaction to the rot that set into the Liberals. I still don't trust them.

Now oil is down and our prime customer is tanking.

Canadians aren't entrepreneurial. We do little research or try to enter new markets with unique products.

A shakeup is long overdue.

Mike F

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Our prime customer doesn't matter. Petroleum is a global market. The amount people are going to consume isn't going to go down significantly without infrastructure changes on the government, corporate and individual level.

Further, Canada's market goes up and down with the Asian markets. The US may use a bit less (and it is a bit) petroleum, but China is using more. While their consumption has also gone down, it is still way above where it was ten years ago.

Your understanding of the global markets and how petroleum is used and effects the Canadian economy is far from complete.

Canada is a safe, consistent, and (relatively) environmentally sensitive, technologically innovative, industrious, politically stable petroleum producer. Unlike most of the other places on the planet right now. That means that the demand for our petroleum isn't going away soon. The world is looking for more petroleum, not less.

This is a market created slip. Markets correct.

As to the coalition - no matter how you slice it the "coalition" isn't a real coalition. The two parties in coalition form a true minority. They have 114 seats together. The Tories have 143 seats themselves. The Quebec First party (BQ) has been offered a billion dollars for Quebec for them to support this real minority on confidence votes.

No matter how you slice it, a 114 seats is not more than 143 seats. If you complain about the minority government of Tories, it is disingenious to pretend that an actual real minority minority government can possibly rule in any functional manner.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join