It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokeless Fire...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
I know sterno and stuff like that... But eventually they will run ot.

My only advice is be extremely careful not to stick out, wherever you are. If it's impossible where you are, then you will have to consider moving. So no hill tops, but bottoms of hills and banks. No open fields, but the edges of dense forests. And even better, if all if this is within a stone's throw of a major town road (where there will hopefully always be significant human activity anyway) and yet out-of-sight of anyone doing their "daily grind," assuming there are still some around.

That lone guy they see out in the woods with their thermal trying to rough it, he may potentially be a "terrorist," but that guy hanging out in the woods just behind the convenience store is probably only a bum.

Obviously you would just want to avoid all contact with people around town besides what is absolutely necessary. In "sit x" I would sooner do this type of thing that head directly out into mountains, but mountains is where I would like to eventually end up. There is a helicopter pad within sight of my house. They fly over all the time and I think police just use it for training right now, but that's right now.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Anyone heard of thermos cooking? Food in thermos, pour boiling water into the thermos, cap it, no smell, minimal smoke from the fire, (hopefully you have a pot to boil water in) I dont know how well meat would work, but rice and beans sure does. Maybe if left in long enough with small enough pieces you could end up with a kind of stew, with boiled meat. Opinions?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

not to worry, bubonic plague will probably get you before you starve to death. to worry about smoke when you're generating smell isn't very wise either.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Ok---

Your in a survival situation, and you need a source of heat to cook said chipmonk.

First, you need to try and move away from the area that puts you close to being detected by other people. Once you get to a little better position, or at least the best you can, you make whats called a hobo fire.

A fact of the human presence on our planet is garbage. You should be able to easily find an old pop can. Take a knife, carefully cut the top of the can off. Take the point of the knife, and drill a number of small holes in bottom inch or so of the can. Take your ignition source, light tinder, and start a fire in the bottom. Take fine fuels, ie. small dry twigs, and feed the fire to reach proper temp.

This is a tiny oven. It will get very hot. There is very little, to NO smoke, and your only worry is the smell of your dinner wafting on the wind. But, with a meal as small as your chipmonk, there will be little smell, and the food will be gone quickly enough, that it shouldnt be a worry.

You cook the critter directly over the can, make yourself a small cooking rack with tiny GREEN twigs over the top of the can. This works so well because you are using the radiant heat from the coals you make, and the metal from the can. It cooks quickly and completely. I know, Ive done it before with squirrels, chipmonks, and 6 inch trout.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Oh, and by the way, no need to worry about the plauge or paracites from the critters.... Just cook your meat completely, and hot. It will kill any dangerous things in the meat.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

wrong again, plague is carried by the fleas on the aforesaid chipmunk and the tend to seek out the closest living creature when their ride expires.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This is true, the bubonic plauge is carried in the bite of fleas.... BUT!

You would be aware of the problem prior to consuming the meat of the chipmonk. I HAVE SEEN PLAUGE INFECTED ANIMALS! More specifically, a deer. The signs of infection are impossible to ignore, and common sense would keep you from touching the critter.

But, should you come in contact with an animal that is a carrier for the disease, that being a common occurance between out breaks when the virus has attached itself to a new host, your best chance for dodging the bullet is minimal handling of the carcass prior to cooking.

Survivorman demonstrated this well on "Canyonlands" episode filmed in Utah in 2005. He sets up a figure four deadfall trap and catches a small rodent. Using a spear, he carried it over to his fire and cooked it in it's case (fur and guts and everything) until the threat of disease was gone.

But also remember, that the plauge is in whats called an 'enzootic' state. Meaning that very few individuals of a certain community of rodents, or animals in general, harbor the disease. This greatly reduces your chances, if your careful, of contracting the disease from consuming rodents; animals.

I should know, Ive consumed squirrel, chipmonk, neutrea, racoon, possum, deer, elk, buffalo, and just about every other game animal you can think of. Not all of them have I cooked raw over a campfire, but most.

My point, if you know what your doing, you'll be fine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join