It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Question ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Dear Forum,

I have allways believed in the existance of ETs, and am not reading these forums inorder to unearth evidence to justfy my beliefs. I feel that i HAVE to believe that we humans are not the only species in this creation, as it gives me an enourmous sence of peace. Do any of you feel this way?

I feel that i will never be able to express this to my RL friends as they will mock me, and in this lies the great shame of our world. But i am glad that i have found this forum, and would greatly appreciate your kind responce to my question.

Regards

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It's a statistical likelihood that somewhere in the Universe there is life outside of Earth. Nobody would really disagree with that.

The disagreeable part is whether or not life is visiting Earth from a non-Earth origin.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
My question is not wether or not we have been visited bt ETs. or if they even exist.

My question to the forum is why do they want to believe in the existance of ETs, and if this belief brings to them a certin sence of hatmony. Hey it could just be me feeling like this and that im going insane,,,sure hope not though

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
of course beings who attempt to look like god are not the only beings in creation.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wasiti

If it makes you feel good and doesn't hurt you, why bother worrying about it? People take comfort in all kinds of unverifiable things: from unicorns and leprechauns to God.

You don't need other people to validate your beliefs.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by wasiti

Have you thought that ET's may be hostile? When you think of hostile species are you still comforted?

I personally want to believe because it's exciting and interesting, the thought of ETs doesn't comfort me it inspires me. However I do find that this motivation to want to believe clouds my judgement.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I think of human beings as hostile.... and it does not bring me comfort at all.

I find a certain sense of peace in knowledge that there are other beings out there.... I think because of my above statement. We are so barbaric in so many ways that I want to believe that others out there have already surpassed this level of development and that in turn would mean we too can grow past it.

I dont know... Im babbling and not sure how to express it. but in the meantime MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I think you're on the right track Sleepless.

In today's supposed civilization, it's a truly comforting thought that the possibility exists that this isn't as far as a civilization can evolve without decimating itself. Is this perhaps what you are feeling wasiti? If so, more power to ya. You're not going insane. You simply need a sense of hope while it's getting increasingly difficult to find one. I would warn, however, that the very meaning of the word hope instructs us to look into and sometimes live in the future instead of making our lives work right now.

I have no idea what your religious beliefs are, and I mean no disrespect at all, but this quandary leads me to a very inspiring quote by Thomas Paine I seem to have locked into memory:

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Personally, I don't feel any impact at all from people believing things I don't believe. I believe the impact in our lives comes from people telling us what to believe.

Be Good
and
Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by wasiti
Dear Forum,

I have allways believed in the existance of ETs, and am not reading these forums inorder to unearth evidence to justfy my beliefs. I feel that i HAVE to believe that we humans are not the only species in this creation, as it gives me an enourmous sence of peace. Do any of you feel this way?

I feel that i will never be able to express this to my RL friends as they will mock me, and in this lies the great shame of our world. But i am glad that i have found this forum, and would greatly appreciate your kind responce to my question.

Regards

Wasiti,

as old as our universe is, it would be a staggering revelation that we are all that is here; just by sheer number of planetary systems alone there should be other races somewhere;

and a percentage of them should be good and caring, just as a percentage are probably worse than our society;

i believe it is simply the thought that we are not alone.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It's good that you ask others that question but when it comes down to it then only you can know the answer. I want to believe there's life out there in this "too huge to imagine universe", but until It can be confirmed then I can only imagine. But don't let me or anyone else stop you from searching for the truth and if you find it will you please let me know.

The big thing about the universe is that we've only seen a small percentage of it with our telescopes and probes etc... What's in our Milky Way?, What's beyond the dust? Until we can stop our petty differences and wars and become galactic bound we may never know.

new topics

top topics

join