It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television hypnosis via binaural beats - a reality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'll start off with a description on what a binaural beat is.

Binaural beats or binaural tones are auditory processing artifacts, or apparent sounds, the perception of which arises in the brain independent of physical stimuli. This effect was discovered in 1839 by Heinrich Wilhelm Dove.

The brain produces a phenomenon resulting in low-frequency pulsations in the loudness of a perceived sound when two tones at slightly different frequencies are presented separately, one to each of a subject's ears, using stereo headphones. A beating tone will be perceived, as if the two tones mixed naturally, out of the brain. The frequency of the tones must be below about 1,000 to 1,500 hertz for the beating to be heard. The difference between the two frequencies must be small (below about 30 Hz) for the effect to occur; otherwise the two tones will be heard separately and no beat will be perceived.

Interest in binaural beats can be classified into two categories. Firstly, they are of interest to neurophysiologists investigating the sense of hearing. Secondly (and more controversially), binaural beats reportedly influence the brain in more subtle ways through the entrainment of brainwaves and can be used to produce relaxation and other health benefits such as pain relief.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Using Binaural Beat induction, almost everyone can achieve a very deep, relaxed state of consciousness, provided the proper frequencies are employed.

Source: www.sound.com...

I believe that this is happening with televisions. Myself and other people have noticed on many occasions that TV's, in general; will randomly emit a barely audible high pitch tone sometimes lasting several minutes.

Regardless of the type of television: LCD/Plasma/etc
The tones can be embedded in the content, it is not a byproduct of the television itself. Changing channel or muting stops the tones.

The theory is that televisions are emitting these tones to viewers causing them to become passive, lethargic and other feelings/emotions.

Have you ever noticed that commercials are louder than the program you are watching? It's intent is to get your attention and it works. Like binaural beats, this volume effect is from the content coming from the provider.

binaural beats reportedly influence the brain in more subtle ways through the entrainment of brainwaves and can be used to produce relaxation and other health benefits such as pain relief.
(ibid above)

Logically then, you could even condition people to react to what they are seeing on the screen, just as you train a dog with treats.

For example:

CNN does live coverage of the Senate passing the bailout. During the coverage, certain tones are sent and people subconsciously, instead of taking any action (petition/protest/etc); simply grumble and perhaps think or act in a more passive manner.

I think this explains why we let governments get away with crimes like corruption, murder and theft in plain sight.

And now with the high definition TV's...they've probably upgraded their arsenal, in terms of tone range and frequencies.

something to think about during the holidays

[edit on 24-12-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Interesting. But how does that work if you don't have stereo headphones on whilst you are watching TV? Wouldn't the two frequencies mix in air to produce a third frequency. So then all you would have is a third frequency? Why not just simply play that third frequency then?

From your description I don't think that a Binaural Beat works without headphones. Without headphones all you hear is that third frequency, your brain does not try and equal that frequency with brain patterns.

I believe that this is happening with televisions. I have noticed on many occasions that TV's, in general; will randomly emit a barely audible high pitch tone for several minutes.

So the theory is that televisions are emitting these relaxation tones to viewers causing them to become passive and lethargic. The companies providing signals to your TV are controlling this. Certain tones can relax you, make you lethargic, others could make you angry or violent.

You will probably find that this is caused by the high-frequency flyback transformer in your TV (if you have a CRT). If you have an LCD or Plasma then disregard this. Does the TV still make that sound while muted or with the volume turned all the way down?

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater
Interesting. But how does that work if you don't have stereo headphones on whilst you are watching TV? Wouldn't the two frequencies mix in air to produce a third frequency. So then all you would have is a third frequency? Why not just simply play that third frequency then?

From your description I don't think that a Binaural Beat works without headphones. Without headphones all you hear is that third frequency, your brain does not try and equal that frequency with brain patterns.

I believe that this is happening with televisions. I have noticed on many occasions that TV's, in general; will randomly emit a barely audible high pitch tone for several minutes.

So the theory is that televisions are emitting these relaxation tones to viewers causing them to become passive and lethargic. The companies providing signals to your TV are controlling this. Certain tones can relax you, make you lethargic, others could make you angry or violent.

You will probably find that this is caused by the high-frequency flyback transformer in your TV (if you have a CRT). If you have an LCD or Plasma then disregard this. Does the TV still make that sound while muted or with the volume turned all the way down?

This has been reproduced on different types of TV's. LCD/Plasma/etc

The description I used was simply for convenience, it is from a company selling a product requiring a headphone, however there a similar devices called white noise generators and the like, that cause similar effects. I will updated the description to eliminate this mistake in comprehension, thanks for pointing it out.

What I'm getting at is that via the TV they can send tones that will subconsciously affect you in various ways. Affecting emotions, thoughts, etc.

Regardless of the type of TV, the tones can be embedded in the content.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Your theory makes perfect sense, it really does.

However Binaural Beats works by (as you said) playing a different frequency in each ear. Your brain hears each seperate frequency and tries to match it's EEG behaviour to the difference of the frequencies. This does not work if the 2 different frequencies can mix in air before reaching the ear. All you hear then is 3 different frequencies - the original 2 frequencies and the difference between them. So therefore this will only work using headphones (or any other situation where each ear independently hears each frequency).

With that said I'm sure that they do have some way of subliminally influencing your brain behaviour through the TV however I'm not sure it is possible using Binaural Beats.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

The studies were only conducted using stereo headphones.

You cannot assume the effect will not be present in televisions that use stereo or surround sound. They still present sound from different channels and angles, with today's technology why assume it can't be done without headphones?

If you can show any studies to that effect I would love to see them.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well as a television broadcast engineer, those tones your talking about are similar to the VITS test signals sent in the vertical pulse for engineers to test the bandwidth response for the visual signal, hence those tones in the audio chain are for the same reason, to test and verify the bandwidth response of the aural carrier. It is sub-audible (low volume high pitch frequencies) that allows for real time testing and specification measurements..which is a requirement of the FCC rules for proof of performance reports that stations have to file every quarter.

HO HO HO!!!!

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

No sorry I do not have any studies to back up what I am saying. However I can safely assume that the effect will not be present without headphones (or similar).

The very definition of Binaural Beat says that each ear must hear a different frequency. Therefore any technique not working in this manner is no longer a binaural beat. If there is a way of changing your brain state via stereo/surround speakers (which I don't doubt), it is not through Binaural Beats.

Definition of Binaural Beat...

...the left and right sounds do not mix together until in your brain. The frequency difference, when perceived by brain this way, is called a binaural beat.

Source

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Also...

The only requirements are that the tone is heard well enough and that it is below about 1000Hz. Below 1000Hz, the wavelength of the skull is sufficiently small so that the sound waves curve around it.

Source

Therefore if you are hearing a high-pitched noise then it is more than likely not Binaural Beats. To be effective both tones must be below 1000Hz (which most people wouldn't describe as particularly high-pitched).

But what do I know, I'm a cat

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

The very definition of Binaural Beat says that each ear must hear a different frequency.

Do you think that the ear doesn't hear every sound? Do you think that the body doesn't feel the vibrations of passing traffic as you are walking down a sidewalk?

Do you think that just because we usually focus on one stimulus at a time that the body doesn't interact with other stimulii?

I have an excerise that some may want to try:

When it is quiet, and I mean that there isn't any immediate conversation or television, listen to your environment. Attempt to identify how many sounds are in the background. This works best during the day, perhaps in between early morning and afternoon...

The kicker is trying to listen to them all at the same time and be aware of them all at the same time.

The point is focus.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Oh yes I have no doubt.

I should have said: the very definition of Binaural Beat says that each ear must hear each different frequency before it mixes with the other frequency in the air.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I should have said: the very definition of Binaural Beat says that each ear must hear each different frequency before it mixes with the other frequency in the air.

in the air; that part of the definition is lacking as well because it seems like you're saying that each ear must first hear each frequency prior to them mixing in the air...

I am not questioning your comprehension, rather the sentence structure, which on a topic such as this I find very important.

Regardless of how the sounds mix, et cetera, the point is the combination of subtle/overt conscious awareness. Just because we tend to focus on 'one' stimulus when we are interested does not mean that we aren't experiencing many stimulii.

And which piece of stimulii a person 'focuses' on is the important part of this thread...if radio waves can successfully entrain a brain pattern (theta in the case of Television) then the focus has been...for lack of a better term...focused.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
in the air; that part of the definition is lacking as well because it seems like you're saying that each ear must first hear each frequency prior to them mixing in the air...

Yes that is what I'm saying. The use of Binaural Beats states that you have to supply different frequency sine waves to each ear.

That really isn't possible without headphones, I would suggest.

Clarification: I mean of course it is possible for each ear to hear a different frequency from your TV, but probably not effective enough to have any effect as far as Binaural Beats goes.

It is also commonly suggested that passive listening to binaural beats may not achieve maximum effect. Willingness, ability, and concentration effort may also be necessary.

Source

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I can hear when a tv is on even if i'm not in the room (and the tv as no volume on)

Its a high pitched noise all tv's do it

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

there are also isochronic tones which do not require headphones to work so if there are alternatives to binaural beats perhaps his theory could be plausible,perhaps not with binaural beats but with similar frequencies/vibrations (etc,) manipulating technology

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I'm not making fun of this but wasn't there a Halloween movie (halloween Ii or IIi) about people growing pumpkin heads when they watched tv due to a hum or beat? I guess life imitates imagination sometimes. Scary thought.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

When you stated this " Have you ever noticed that commercials are louder than the program you are watching? It's intent is to get your attention and it works. Like binaural beats, this volume effect is from the content coming from the provider. "

Yup!!! It gets my attention alright and it pisses me off! I finally got a smart LCD TV with Smart Volume Control and it works. Thank-God. I find this post facinating and totally believable!

The idea that these beats could make us lathargic, depressed, excited.. Ect is worth taking note. I think if a lot of people w/ depression turned their TV off they would find themselves getting out of it w/ other forms of keeping one busy or educated.

Would the internet emit beats threw your speakers even if your not on a page w/ vid? Would all electronics have theses beats? Ok... Maybe I'm getting a little far-fetched now howver, we all know Governments have used thier own people as guinnies.

I definite believe " they " program you threw Tv. And if your not aware of the tricks... You get sucked in to their crap!

S&F

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

scarier if you think of it in terms that maybe imagination imitates real life :O haha

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

you know it's not soo far fetched old school cellphones gave people tumors and other complications cause they released alot of radiation phones still do that but not in the same amounts but the point is at times technology can do things we might not be aware of (wether the person "unconscious" to the issue be the inventor or the one indulging in said invention) hell even things like music is now proven to affect moods and cause the brain stimulation, people in power keep information (always have and most likely always will) from "normal" people because like the saying states "knowledge is power" we are kept in the dark about many things so why wouldn't we be kept in the dark about something that can potentially do exactly what would be desired by those in power, of course it's good to be skeptical but one must also consider the possobilities,and this has nothing to do with the subject wow you are very beautiful hahaha i'm sorry i can't help but state the obvious about mindless aesthetics

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I could not agree with this post more! That, combined with the fact that most people listen to authority and not their gut, either in fear of getting in trouble or being wrong and made fun of(that test they did in Vietnam in the 50's when they had the man with heart problems attached to an electric shock thing), really lets the government\media get away with anything. I mean, when I was a child I did not watch hardly any TV, I was very sheltered from that, and then when I turned 10 or so I all of a sudden moved to a house where they watched the news all the time, and my cousin, who watched tv and the news a lot, the crazy news of Katrina, for example, didn't seem to shock her, but for me, I was completely and utterly devastated. You know what I'm saying? And now, that I watch tv a lot, I'm totally like, that stuff doesn't bother me anymore. They are causing us to become mindless. >.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
it works
and headphones not needed
the idea is to trick the brain into thinking there is something rotating around the skull
this can be done with binaural beats
or by actually making a tone spin around the skull with surround sound

also
the flicker rate...causes entrainment
not to mention have you ever noticed all those TV screens in the background on all the news shows
ever notice whats on them?

then there is symbolism
also there is the brains ability to precieve in reverse

and if none of that gets you
then there is boobies

top topics

<<   2 >>

join