It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Space Station needed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I am not one to say that I knoww alot about NASA, the space program or the Internation Space Station (ISS), but I cannot see how it's worth is justified.

First off, in the ever evolving technology that we send up to expand or upgrade the ISS is a loosing battle. the minute it is updated or upfitted, the updated systems are obsolete.

Also, what's the point of having this thing hovering over us? I understand that they were going to build this amazing, huge and expensive space station to give us better insite into our universe and space's effects on humans... But with the Hubble and like satilites, is that needed?

Lastly, the upkeep and caare must be monitarily amazing.

Do we need this item in space?

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
One of the main goals of the ISS is to provide a place to conduct experiments that require one or more of the unusual conditions present on the station. The main fields of research include biology (including biomedical research and biotechnology), physics (including fluid physics, materials science, and quantum physics), astronomy (including cosmology), and meteorology.The 2005 NASA Authorization Act designated the U.S segment of the International Space Station as a national laboratory with a goal to increase the utilisation of the ISS by other Federal entities and the private sector.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
yes its necessary! what do you propose we do, stay on earth?

I dont think you people realize that the earth's resources are FINITE!

eventually we will kill this planet or deplete its resources, etc.

We either go into space, or we die. its that simple. Its the survival of humanity.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I agree its needed but I think its a very feeble attempt considering we put man on the moon..

I mean by now we should atleast have some kinda base atleast on the moon dont u think??

Think of how much crap is in space that could be on the moon... big big base i think heh?

we always seem to do things half"snip" and we fail so much as a race in a big big way..

each man for themsevls n all that rubbish

Yes its need but i still think its a waste of money...and effort becouse its just so FEEBLE.. tin can in space OH great ..

anyone seen my toolbox? LOL

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

The only way to learn about how to build in space and live in space is to actually do it. Perhaps there is not tangible "monetary" benefit that the space staion can readily provide, but what we leared about "doing things in space" over the past 10 years ins an incredibly valuable "by-product" of the space station.

For the space station, the finished product is not as important as the work it took to create that product, and the experience gained from that work.

[edit on 12/25/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

top topics

join