It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True story

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
the chances of that happening have got to be worse than getting struck by lightning, while clutching the winning lottery ticket with one hand and fighting off the shark attack with the other.

Odds of winning the Powerball (lottery)= about 1:200,000,000
Odds of being attacked by a shark (and living to spend the Powerball $$$)= 1:8,000,000
From here:
encarta.msn.com...
Odds of getting hit by lightning in your LIFETIME (and living to spend your Powerball $$$)= 1:5000
From here:
www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov...

So...if I get my trusty calculator out...you are saying the odds of getting a new tire were:
1:8,000,000,000,000,000,000

(I think that THAT is 8 QUINTRILLION.)

That is a lot of Grace bestowed up on you.

Luke 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

While I would (certainly) be pleased and gracious that God was "looking out for me" by allowing a man to have the exact tire I need while 10 miles from home...I don't think I would characterize it in such a manner.

Matt 12:36-37 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

I am guilty of the above, often. I am just thankful that God doesn't call me to task for every errant word I speak.

I suppose the reason why God doesn't allow me to "win the lottery" is because He sees that it would be to my HURT. (God would THEN require a lot more from me than I am capable of giving.)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
im going to refrain from commenting on this one. this post has just has me too upset for words.

Miriam:

Hold fast to the beginning of your confidence.

Heb 3:14-15 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

(I wanted to quote from verse 12 to verse 19, but I'll leave it up to you, Miriam, to read the context of chapter 3.)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I'm in a rush but just felt the need to interject an important thought. In a Christian worldview - a supernatural worldview - that is aware of the absolute sovereignty of God, there's absolutely no room for the idea of luck or "chance".

Chance is a mathematical concept that describes probabilities - it does not cause anything or explain anything. It is truly a non thing - it is nothing. When you flip a coin you say you have a 50% chance of getting heads - but no one in their right mind believes a magic force called luck or chance makes it land on heads. The physical laws of nature - set down by God - how you hold the coin, flip it ...etc. cause the outcome. Not chance - not luck - they are nothing.

Once you allow luck to be a determining factor in any thing at all, you knock God completely off his throne in your thinking. Please take time to reflect deeply on this.

[edit on 2/18/2009 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Please take time to reflect deeply on this.

There is no need to reflect deeply upon this.

The Bible clearly allows casting lots (at times) in order to determine God's will:

Acts 1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

There is no way to explain this verse except to allow that mathematics and probability are "overridden" by God in this verse.

I DO agree, however, that "luck" has nothing to do with "chance".

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

network dude:

Sorry, I kind of got to your story a little late. I just want to say how blessed you must have felt at that moment. I believe you. I have had the Lord intervene in my life too and it is indeed a humbling experience. His love and peace is like no other.

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Miraim, you seem to have a argumentative attitude. Chill out woman.

Listen, there is NO luck. Luck doesn't have a name, and you cannot pray to it.

God said in the bible.

" A hair doesn't fall out of your head without his consent "

Now the major events that get overlooked are not getting over looked. God wills sometimes to not help because it's for a reason only he knows.

Everything little God does, evertyhing big God does. All unto good and glory of God.

this is a fact.

OP. Keep your eyes open. You will see more in the future.

peace/

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PreTribGuy
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Please take time to reflect deeply on this.

There is no need to reflect deeply upon this.

Well forgive me but I think you should have- it seems like you missed the point. I hope I'm not misunderstanding you, it sounds like you are defending luck?

The Bible clearly allows casting lots (at times) in order to determine God's will:
Acts 1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
There is no way to explain this verse except to allow that mathematics and probability are "overridden" by God in this verse.

Exactly God controled the outcome not luck. If God didn't intervene your choice controls it. - not chance - so why did you make this point? I'm confused by your objection.

Mathematics and probability or luck don't cause the lots to arrive at a particular permutation - they merely describe the possibilities. The way the lots are organized - how many there are - and the one that catches your eye when you draw it - but probability or chance/luck have absolutely nothing to do with causation. They are just concepts not powers or agents.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by Bigwhammy]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join