It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality indeed a psychological thing...?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
They have proved, scientifically, that sexual orientation based on brain development is caused biologically by a phenomenon called epigenetics. Hormones present during the growth of a vehicle (fetus) determine the gender.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper
They have proved, scientifically, that sexual orientation based on brain development is caused biologically by a phenomenon called epigenetics. Hormones present during the growth of a vehicle (fetus) determine the gender.

Great! Do you have a source to confirm this? I have read that they were speculating something along these lines but I had not heard that it had been proven.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I believe the only ones who CHOOSE are bisexuals, because they can choose to be with their gender or the opposite.

I still wouldn't really say it's a choice. I know I can never CHOOSE who it is I fall for. Like I said. I see people as just people, souls with bodies.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
When I look back on my younger days it's clear that I naturally developed towards a homosexual orientation. When I was hitting that time of sexual maturation and awareness I quite naturally became interested in the same sex. I never even questioned it and no one pressured me into it - it just naturally came about.

It was AFTER I became mature that my family, along with religion and society, saw what I had become and wanted to influence me and change me into what was, for me, entirely unnatural. This influence is what led me to eventually marry a woman and desperately try to "bend" myself to fit this unnatural lifestyle that society had forced onto me.

The only part of my sexuality that was a choice was the part where I was pressured to choose to go "straight" in the name of religion and social conformity. I have since shrugged off that which was unnatural for me and returned to what I was before society had it's way.

[edit on 25-12-2008 by archetype_one]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I’ll have to agree with Greeneyedleo here, physical attraction doesn’t necessarily come first (especially for women). Have you ever had a friend of the opposite sex, whom you’ve known for years (or at least awhile), and suddenly thought, “Wow, she’s cool.” And in that instant your attraction changes from platonic to something more.

Can you tell me if you or anyone you know who was straight went through the situation I described above and suddenly became gay or bisexual? I’ve never heard of this happening to anyone, although I’m sure it’s been the main plot in countless adult films…

reply to post by muzzleflash

If it is a choice 100%, then it is a choice one must make every time they are confronted with another human being. Do you constantly look at others and weigh the pros and cons of them as a sexual partner?

also, no one is born thinking chocolate tastes good or bad,
you taste it then you decide if u like it or not

So you, I, and everyone else must experience homosexuality, heterosexuality, and bisexuality before we decide whether or not we fall into a category? Well that certainly would make the world a little more interesting, wouldn’t it!

reply to post by niteboy82

Can you imagine the panic? Watch out! The gays have a gay gun and it’s set to Fabulous! Head for the hills!

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Not everything is so black and white...or from a 'mental perspective' ie psychological. We must also look at other factors such as environment, society and life circumstances as well as spiritual (past lives) and karmic (again life lessons and past lives). Why do so many people look at these things from a 'fish bowl' perspective cornering it into such a defined category as 'this is the definitve reason' when there can be an ocean of reasons why we arrive at a certain place in life or a certain lifestyle. How about 'i just feel like being gay. do i need a reason? or do i need to even give one to you!'. No. So why is this an issue? When you look at life from a larger perspective - one that is endless and leads on and on, time and time again, with many differrent guises and many different lessons and situations, surely being gay is not a big issue here. It doesnt even hit the radar. What does matter is how we conduct ourselves within that lifestyle. And that is one of integrity and honour. Where we are kind to people, are in service and do our upmost to be a source of love on a planet that is badly in need of it.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

You don't choose what you like (well, I don't, I don't know about you), it just happens. It's when you were a kid and said "I don't like vegetables". You can't make yourself like them, unless you're seriously brainwashed, and I mean SERIOUSLY. I didn't choose to not particularly like large breasts (normal sized is fine for me).
You don't say "I'm going to start liking that person, even though I hate them." No, that doesn't happen.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Neither orientation or preference is chosen by the individual. People change. You can call yourself a certain label, but that could change.
It's like an automatic "update": you didn't choose to have the "update" at that time, but it happened, and you can't change what has happened manually, you have to wait for the next automatic "update".

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mlmijyd
I agree completely with the Posters question in that I say a definite YES. I read a book (actually two from the author) many years ago that just confirmed a few things that I think most would agree with, if only they didn't allow their sheeple mentality to get in the way as its swayed by their peers and media control. I suggest you dig out the book 'The Primal Scream' by Dr. Arthur Janov. One of the brave people who see the harm that his profession is doing and tries to change from within but as usual in the medical and other controlled professions gets slated. (snip) Incidentally just a very small portion of his book focuses on homosexuality but he believes this mental disorder just like obesity, drugs, violence can all be cured and his second book some 10years later following specific cases shows this!

You do realize that this is not a new theory, it's a very old theory (as in the beginning of the profession of psychology, think Freud) and has been pretty roundly rejected, right?

It's interesting to me in this thread that no one is making a distinction between people they are physically attracted to and people they fall in love with. A number of people have said that they "fall in love" with the soul, not the body; and that it can happen without knowing what the other even looks like.

I completely agree with that. But it doesn't mean that I don't have attractions based purely on things like physical features or the way a guy moves. I have both been very attracted to men who I frankly rather dislike, and in love with men who are not at all my physical "type".

I have some control over the latter, because it takes time to fall in love with someone, but virtually no control over the former – only the choice whether or not to act on attraction.

I have never been physically attracted to a woman, and I think that's what makes me straight, not that I've fallen in love with men. I think I fall in love with men but not women because I just don't think about women that way. But I'm pretty sure that part of why I don't think about women that way is that I couldn't have a sexually fulfilling relationship with one.

I just can't really imagine that it's any different for homosexuals. Why would it be?

I think the epigenetics hypothesis is very interesting, too, and I could see that being the key. And I really hope that we as a society get over our homophobia before we get to technology to change it.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Hi there.

Well,I'm a lesbian,and I'd say from about the of 11,when I became sexually awakened,I've always been attracted to the same sex.

Curiosity,more than society,did make me experiment with boys.And I can honestly say I never ever enjoyed it.And believe me,I experimented a lot.lol.

I was 13 or 14 when I first kissed a girl properly and it felt so right.I kissed a cpl of boys after that,just to see,but the only thing i felt was an icky feeling in my stomach.

Of course,it wasn't just the physical aspect that attracted me to girls.I loved the whole idea of romance and relationships,and still do.I never fantasized about having that with a boy,it was always with a girl.In fact,i never fantasized about boys full stop.As i said,it was just curiosity.

[edit on 25-12-2008 by DantesLost]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DantesLost
reply to post by Jkd Up

Hi there.

Well,I'm a lesbian,and I'd say from about the of 11,when I became sexually awakened,I've always been attracted to the same sex.

Curiosity,more than society,did make me experiment with boys.And I can honestly say I never ever enjoyed it.And believe me,I experimented a lot.lol.

I was 13 or 14 when I first kissed a girl properly and it felt so right.I kissed a cpl of boys after that,just to see,but the only thing i felt was an icky feeling in my stomach.

Of course,it wasn't just the physical aspect that attracted me to girls.I loved the whole idea of romance and relationships,and still do.I never fantasized about having that with a boy,it was always with a girl.In fact,i never fantasized about boys full stop.As i said,it was just curiosity.

[edit on 25-12-2008 by DantesLost]

Thank you very much for your honesty!

Did you have any feelings like that before your sexual awakening? Or at least that you were aware of? Did you alway like the company of girls? I mean, not just to play with, but to be with and trust?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Did you have any feelings like that before your sexual awakening? Or at least that you were aware of? Did you alway like the company of girls? I mean, not just to play with, but to be with and trust?

Not that i recollect.

I've always enjoyed the company of both sexes.My oldest and closest friend is a guy.We celebrated our 25th friendship anniversary a few weeks ago.He's straight.Just in case you were wondering.

I know some people have this belief that if you're a lesbian you must dislike all men unless they're gay too.But that just isn't true,for most.lol.I love men and I love spending time with them.But the thought of anything more than friendship gives me that icky feeling in the stomach.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

Thank you again for more insight. I have known a few lesbians and they ran opposite poles, one had no problem with guys and the other hated guys to the upmost. Come to find out there was good reason for her to hate them so.

Very, very interesting. I thank you for all your help in your posts and hope you add any other insite you might have/desire.

Of course, that same invitation goes to all here at ATS.

I want to thank everyone who has posted so far for keeping this a sane and pleasent threead on a volitile subject!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I would say it can be either psychological or biological. Most of it all starts in our Chromosomes, and your normal set for males is XY, and females is XX, but you can see XY females, XXY males etc too, but what about Homosexuals who have the right Chromosomes? Since we are all female until about eight weeks, the farther past this point that a fetus takes to change to male may be the biological side of what causes most homosexual males born that way.

Homosexual females could be a different story. It is hard to say how they can be biological base, unless testosterone has a big part in it all. Females start out as females and if they are the normal XX type this means the sperm was X and any male influence was never in play. Females have an extremely higher percentage of Bi-sexual then men, where men tend to be all one way or the other. This can be that Females put more importance on other things in a relationship then men normally do.

Females also have an extremely higher percentage of A-sexual than men do. This is where a person is basically non-sexual. They see both females and males as the same thing in the sexual sense and so they will be buddies with everyone and never have a sexual desire for a partner. This too must play heavily into homosexual females who are actually A-sexual and pick another A-sexual or homosexual female as a partner.

In both cases I can see psychological events that can take place for someone who would be heterosexual and skew them in a homosexual direction, but these people tend to not profess they been homosexual all their lives. They also tend to switch more between the sexes in maybe not so much as bi-sexual, but play both side as if they were 100% hetero or homo for a long period of time. We can see this when a female has a female partner for years then leaves that partner for a male.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by Xtrozero]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Very interesting. Where did you find such information? Was there a particular study?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It has to be a psychological thing, because if it's biological than it should be possible to easily change a homosexual person into a heterosexual one through simple science and medicine.

And everything we do or decide to do must first go through our brain, so yes it's psychological any way.

Our sex organs and hormones tell us to go have sex, our brain decides with what and when. So yes, it's psychological.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by ProudWN]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudWN
Our sex organs and hormones tell us to go have sex, our brain decides with what and when. So yes, it's psychological.

No, if it's hard wired into the brain, it is neurological. Nature vs nurture. The psychological process is learned behavior.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
reply to post by Xtrozero

Very interesting. Where did you find such information? Was there a particular study?

Is there are part of my post you are specifically talking about? I basically did a lot of research for a psychology paper years ago and these are some of my own conclusions off the top of my head based on my research and observations. Which part are you basically talking about and I can be more specific, but much of it is my conclusions as too the possibilities of a biological based homosexuality.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudWN
It has to be a psychological thing, because if it's biological than it should be possible to easily change a homosexual person into a heterosexual one through simple science and medicine.
[edit on 26-12-2008 by ProudWN]

And if it was biological what method would we so "easily" use to do this? If a person is born with it then it is most surely biological that has caused it.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyindevil
reply to post by jd140

You don't choose what you like (well, I don't, I don't know about you), it just happens. It's when you were a kid and said "I don't like vegetables". You can't make yourself like them, unless you're seriously brainwashed, and I mean SERIOUSLY. I didn't choose to not particularly like large breasts (normal sized is fine for me).
You don't say "I'm going to start liking that person, even though I hate them." No, that doesn't happen.

When I was a kid eating brocolli made me physically ill, so I never ate it and was never forced to eat it. Now I love it. So what is your point?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join