It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your personality type really matter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
It helps me to know that I'm an introvert but does it really matter what type of introvert I am? I see no reason to worry about whether I'm an INTJ, an INFJ, an IFNJ, or whatever. I ask you does it matter?

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The Myers-Briggs Personality type indicator was developed as a tool that might allow supervisors and managers to better understand how the people they work and communicate with 'tend' to approach social and problem-solving tasks.

My exposure to their theories led me to consider it another 'control' perspective for pigeon-holing people. That may not be it's intent, I grant you that, however it seems to occur because those who rely on such tools, do so for the purpose of controlling the work environment.

It makes some sense, to consider that if you have a team of people on a project and they are to give a presentation, some would naturally accept the 'speaking' task more readily than others. I vs. E if you take my meaning.

But I have found that such 'measurements' change in people, as we are not static robots who are not affected by life and significant emotional events. And how is a person, say a manager, to know when such a change occurs in the preferred thinking methods of an employee? Only by constant direct measurement - thus paying for ongoing test analysis - a ridiculous proposition for most business models.

Does it matter? It can. Especially if you use it to ease the stresses of those to whom you delegate tasks. Otherwise, remember people are not 'objects' to be categorized - down that path lies potential madness! If not for you, for them.

[edit on 24-12-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
It doesn't matter but it is a tool to help you see what career might be best suited for you. But mostly, it's just fun.

Mine by the way
. www.mypersonality.info...

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
That Meyers-Briggs stuff was forced on me in 10th grade, we had to take the test and then write a well developed report on...ourselves...or our personality actually. Ridiculous!

The funny part was, one of the books that my teacher had for us to use basically said that I (ESTP) would think the whole thing was stupid and probably wouldn't do it. I was the only ESTP in the class and so my report was literally my explanation for why I didn't do it.

The teacher said it was clever and gave me an A, however I did find that teacher to be a little more annoyed with me for the rest of the year.

EDIT: Spelling

[edit on 12/24/08 by TasteTheMagick]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I took another test in an adult education class once and knowing the results of it have helped me in my life MANY times.

It has helped me in dealing with other people. Being able to ascertain which "personality style" they were has helped me to present to them their value in a given situation.

Knowing which "personality style" I am has helped me to understand my choices and to be considerate of how I sometimes come across to other people.

So, while the Meyers-Briggs test may seem like just great information, knowing mine and others' personality styles has helped me a lot in my life.

Personality Styles Anyone wanna guess which I am?

(I was not involved in an MLM, I just used this site to display the results of the personality test I took.)

[edit on 24-12-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Interesting. I had heard about personality types years ago by an employee of my father. The guy had issues with his own father apparently and had been in some type of therapy over it.

Personality types and clashes does makes sense when hiring or working for someone.(too bad we can't know theirs as well?)

There were a few employees who quit working for my father because of this and tried to collect unemployment over it. To the best of my knowledge, they lost. That should come as no surprise with unemployment anyway, as you often have to fight for it....and not just quit.

I ran across a personality disorder test a week or so ago. I wonder how many would do with this test here also.

www.4degreez.com...

Personality profiles, work habit history and now credit, it's getting even harder for many to get a job, much less a decent one.

It should come as no surprise why so many have to support themselves as criminals. And yet, white collar crime has recently been the biggest news and offenders and yet they STILL mention these other basics as if that's just the way it is?

Do as I say, NOT as I do?...

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Anyone wanna guess which I am?

[edit on 24-12-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

I'm game; are you an ENTJ?

I took this test a while back and was an ENTP.

EDIT TO ADD: Ooops! I thought you meant MB type. I don't know..., Dominant Controller?

[edit on 24-12-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I'm game; are you an ENTJ?

What I don't like about this test is that every time I take it, I get a slightly different score... Today, I'm ISTJ but I'm a controller every day (with an analyzer subtext)!

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I say it does. Not that I believe employers go looking for it and judge you on it. But your personality type determines how you get noticed. and getting noticed and achieving things is what determines your success.
By knowing this information, you can avoid the pitfall of being a house mouse that no one knows exists to being more forward and getting yourself noticed.
Someone with ambition is more likely to tackle projects that put them in the limelight.

Or to lay their cards on the table and ask for a raise. Someone who quietly does thier work, even if they do it well, will not necessarily garner attention. They just don't attract any negative attention.
An extrovert is more likely to take risks.

And if you do take on projects, you have to be able to handle them well and orderly. A dreamer type may have the ideas, but execute them sloppily. putting them in a negative limelight.

Your actions and responses don't have to be set in stone. It means you have to work harder to aquire the skills and the mindset that leads too success.

top topics

join