It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If mankind is to survive, then religion must continue.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by reiki

Hey, Reiki,

As I said wars are about POWER, PUTTING PEOPLE DOWN and SHEER GREED.

And religion equals all of those - and I agree, it is horrible what our kids learn via technology - what are we, completely stupid? I would, sadly, have to say, yes.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
reply to post by reiki

Hey, Reiki,

As I said wars are about POWER, PUTTING PEOPLE DOWN and SHEER GREED.

And religion equals all of those - and I agree, it is horrible what our kids learn via technology - what are we, completely stupid? I would, sadly, have to say, yes.

Hi Spellbound,
We have to look at the way religion has been hijacked today, and then look at the way religion was meant to be. Although i'm not religious, there are some in this wolrd who have also educated themselves with religion, and know the way religion should be. I have expereinced 3 major religions in my life. Islam, Christianity & Buddhism, and in all, i found people who were self-empowered through it. Perhaps i was lucky, i dunno. I doubt it's to do with location, hehe. however, these people who are set free by religion certainly are not newsworthy. What is newsworthy is bad news, ergo, that crap that is named as religion.
If a person has never come across the decent, free people in religion, then it is natural for one to not be aware they exist. They do however, and i wouldn't tell lies about this, :-).
Still, every opinion is valid, and i totally repsect your's, :-) .

Take care
Wayne

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Alienmojo

Sorry thought you were refering to organised religion and not just attempting to follow the virtuous human attributes of benevolence,compassion and empathy.

I think some of the founding fathers of the US had it right about organised religion when they said:

“In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty; he is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.”
Thomas Jefferson

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise....During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.”
James Maddison

"Ecclesiastical establishments tend to great ignorance and corruption,all of which facilitate the execution of mischeivious projects"
James Maddison

“Twenty times in the course of my late reading, have I been upon the point of breaking out, ‘this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it.’”
John Adams

SR

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Why does mankind need religion to survive???

Empires have been forged without religion thus showing it's an outdated empirical model of control.

It was a useful way of creating empires thousands of years ago much like the bow and arrow was the pinnacle of technology thousands of years ago.

But we are now in the 21st century and have other options to pursue.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What the heck is religion? I don't mind a belief in a higher power that all things are possible and there's solutions to every ill...but when it gets manipulated into creating fanatics in the name of god or allah, it does look religulous.

Religion got us the State of Israel. People on both sides are dying because of perverted, religious belief. The fanatics on the israeli side believe they are "chosen" iow, better. The fanatics on the palestinian side have been left with nothing but their faith while they fight to keep what they thought was theirs.

Now what? Oh yeah...religion is a wonderful thing but only when it's used for good and not evil.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SR

Empires have been forged without religion thus showing it's an outdated empirical model of control.

Which ones?

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join