It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If mankind is to survive, then religion must continue.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
religion is necessary as a caste still remaining of holy men; these mens minds contain madness and stil retain peace and a way for society to function. to do away with their rantings will open a new door that most only enter through dreams; and much is not sweetest of sorts.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Government Cheese
Religion is nothing more than a crutch for weak minded people who need direction and guidance in life.

Not if you find out God is real. Then it's about REALITY.

It is based upon 2 things with one goal in mind: Power

Money+ Control= POWER.

Who's control and 'power'?

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

There is a reason it is called "faith". You have to have faith that there is in fact a giant invisible man in the sky, as there is no physical proof to prove he is in fact "real".

As for control, money, and power, why the various church's of course.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
well being that the bible is truth how will people lead different bloodlines who excel in various ways that need direction that religion can afford. and the brotherhood that commerces together whos likeness has been made famous by people who liken themselves as brothers by maintaining images and multiple aspects of these images called "dollars/money" is powerfull to themselves and others who find themselves broke without the truth of their being. in some ways money can be seen as being necessary for one to come into this truth of their own being but that is just the infrastructure of society at play.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
Why not appreciate the life we are all currently living as opposed to hoping for something better. If you are not happy with the life you are living....do something about it dont hope for something better after you die.

Nice. Star for you.

People don't do it because it's so hard.

On the other hand, all you need to do is to believe and give $5 or $10 a week to the church and the place in happiest eternity ever is guaranteed. Any dweeb on the planet (even a caveman) can do that.

Sad thing is that, actually, religion is good thing for many, keeps them in line, otherwise they would self-destruct.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Clearskies

There is a reason it is called "faith". You have to have faith that there is in fact a giant invisible man in the sky, as there is no physical proof to prove he is in fact "real".

As for control, money, and power, why the various church's of course.

I don’t need proof. If I have a proof it wouldn’t be faith, it would be a nonwage. When you have a proof you can say that you know something. If you have faith you can say you believe in something. That is great difference which people who don’t believe in God don’t understand. However as I said, no matter how much atheist would like to kill religions they have no chance because they only can kill themselves and some week mind people. I’m sure that religions are pretty secured, because they based on something much stronger than some laic ideologies which would be forgotten for few hundred years but the religions were in the past from the beginning and would stay in the future.

[edit on 25-12-2008 by odyseusz]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
it is my firm belief that new technologies that could be implemented in society now do not need the prior religious infrastructure.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by odyseusz

Just for clarification purposes, do you also believe in:

- The Easter Bunny

- The Tooth Fairy

or Santa Claus?

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
im sure the more you become learned you will have an opinion less sadistic to one over the "interwebz"

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Alien, Religion has never been about brotherhood, Its about control of knowledge, those who have the knowledge have the power and the power to control the masses. To state that religion and those who profit from it don/t cause wars is simply not true. Religion has been behind every conflict in human history, yes they may be other components but in the end it comes down to religion, obtaining knowledge obtaining wealth and power over the msses full stop.

The same process is still being used today in various guises but it all comes down to the same thing, religeous nut jobs who think they are superior to all others. That we the masses are in some way tainted, stained and usually have to prove ourselves to be worthy. What a pile of crap, I don't have to prove anything to anyone, I don't need some false god to believe in to feel whole or human.

Hi Magic, would have gotten back to you sooner but we lost power for 3 hours. Ok, let's go over what you said back there. I think one of the main problems that we have is grouping all religion into 'religion.' As a Christian I see nothing but brotherhood. One of Christ's greatest teachings was that we treat each other as brothers. I don't know about those other 'religions' you speak of... but I do.
I'm not talking down to you either brother, I can certainly understand how religions today can make a person get negative feelings towards those religions. I've had my share, I can tell you. Not only the one's on tv that want your money, but some of the pastors I have had. I left one church because my pastor told me that my atheist father was going to hell. Sorry, but condemnation is not for man to determine. God will... and guess what? I bet we will be very surprised who goes to hell and who doesn't. I just find that God is so loving that I think it would be unbearable for him to just get rid of millions of people.
Look... here is all I'm trying to get across. If religion would just focus on brotherly love instead of how to pray, what to wear, who's going to hell, etc... I think we would be better off. Look at the Vatican, its little rich city full of idols of all kinds... money being the worse. Hell, even popes have been murdered by other Cardinals for it.
I'm saying we need to go back to basics. If we can treat each other as brothers and get THAT to work...then we can work on the other things.
I didn't say, or at least didn't intend it to seem, that I was saying the people in religion don't cause wars. I was saying that 90% of wars, even if stated as religious, are caused by greed, not God. People say George Bush said God told him to attack Iraq, or something akin to that. Do you really believe he did it for his religious belief or for the oil? His real god. So please understand, I know there have been many religious wars, especially in the Mid-east, but I still believe they are greed motivated. This is where you and I differ, you believe religion to be the basis of conflict where I feel it is man's greed. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on that one my friend.
Yes, you don't need a false god to believe in... but others need a God to believe in.. to give hope and guide them in their lives. Its called respect brother. I don't condemn you for your belief or even wish to talk you out of it..but I expect the same from you. Now if you were to ask me about my religion I would be glad to tell you about it, but I'm not one to cram my beliefs down another's throat. That is also one of the things I get upset about. I get Mormon's and Jehovah Witnesses at my door just about every week(I live in Mormon central). I say we show our beliefs by living them and showing others just how much we belive by acting out our faith. Whether its helping a stranded motorist or just giving a smile to the poor girl behind the counter having a bad day... I do that... in Christ's name. I do my best...trust me brother, I fail all the time... but I never give up and that's the key. I just want us all to love and respect each other. A world where a Catholic stops to help a Muslim with no expectation or judgement. Yes, I'm a hopeless romantic... but I shant give up trying. Maybe I can change just one person. And I'm not saying change them to my religion. I'm saying just changing them to my way of thinking. So brother, I wish you the best and thank you for your post. Have a great New Year too!

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
if mankind is truly moving in the direction i am; at a rapid speed at that then the infrastructure for religion to be taught on the different spheres would be daunting. for me to survive i suppose religion must take the task to educate in these spheres. immediately.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

Not if you find out God is real. Then it's about REALITY.

So, which reality, according to you, is REAL ?

Not a one liner, lol.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Just for clarification purposes, do you also believe in:

- The Easter Bunny

- The Tooth Fairy

or Santa Claus?

Hehe, why do you think I should? Would it give me any think to know how should I live? It was not a smartest question I ever heard.
I would give you another. Why do you believe that you don’t need to believe? Is it helpful? Gives you any benefits?

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5thElement

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
Why not appreciate the life we are all currently living as opposed to hoping for something better. If you are not happy with the life you are living....do something about it dont hope for something better after you die.

Nice. Star for you.

People don't do it because it's so hard.

On the other hand, all you need to do is to believe and give $5 or $10 a week to the church and the place in happiest eternity ever is guaranteed. Any dweeb on the planet (even a caveman) can do that.

Sad thing is that, actually, religion is good thing for many, keeps them in line, otherwise they would self-destruct.

Actually your supposed to give 10% of your income, not 5 or 10 dollars. Personally, I have never been able to do that... I don't make enough. However you are wrong thinking that money will guarantee you a spot in heaven. I think you are just being sarcastic there and that's cool. I'm very sarcastic myself. It's probably my favorite form of humor.

I both appreciate what I have AND have a hope for something better. Something better yet in this life and the next. Just appreciating the now is a cop out in my opinion. Its giving up. I'm greatful that I have more to be happy with then the person who ONLY has today to be grateful for. But that doesn't mean that I think that person is a dummy or any less or greater than myself. I respect his decision.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
i have family who dont have my values in knowledge taught in church but appreciate congregations of others with this knowledge and feel more comfortable teaching in congregations of churches; as what a church is. if you are not a member of a church you do a bad service to church members by belittling their activities.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Oh, these threads are great for a laugh.

If we sit back we can see how serious we take ourselves that its funny.
Mankind can live with and without religion. Arguing either side of the issue is a polarity.

From religion one can find the truth...and one can also be stuck in its 'idolatry' of words for an 'eternity'.
A non-religious person, likewise can find the truth outside of a religions dogma, or be stuck in their own dogma.

There seems to always be a cause, something to stive and fight for...its so obvious, but we dont see, because we are paying to play this game called life.

Does an infinite God depend on our determination to keep religion alive? Better yet, does it even need religion? Has anyone spoken to the God of their religion and heard an audible voice recently? No, Im not poking fun, but hoping to show that all of this isnt as serious as either side takes it.

What would be interesting is if both sides looked to see what the gooey is that connects the polar opposites together.

As much as my left and right hand look like they arent connected, they are...just have to go from one arm, to the shoulder, then back, to the other arm...
"Our God is one"...

Anyway...

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
those who are kind to man and man who is kind will survive without legions of people to reassociate with.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I think your comment about Atheists killing religious and other weak-minded people was pretty mis-directed.

"If you have faith you can say you believe in something. That is great difference which people who don’t believe in God don’t understand. However as I said, no matter how much atheist would like to kill religions they have no chance because they only can kill themselves and some week mind people"

I don't claim to know everything about world history... but I'm pretty sure that records of atheist societies invading, murdering and exploiting Christian nations are pretty scarce. But, the other way around? Well gosh, that seems to be the way of the world doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
Oh, these threads are great for a laugh.

If we sit back we can see how serious we take ourselves that its funny.
Mankind can live with and without religion. Arguing either side of the issue is a polarity.

No, Im not poking fun, but hoping to show that all of this isnt as serious as either side takes it.

As much as my left and right hand look like they arent connected, they are...just have to go from one arm, to the shoulder, then back, to the other arm...
"Our God is one"...

Anyway...

Peace

dAlen

Hi dAlen, thanks for your post. I know, it looks so very serious here and I guess it does get that way. Honestly, I'm not that serious of an individual. If you knew me, you'd probably be laughing at me. I agree that man can live both and without religion... but man cannot live without respecting each other. That's my whole point. I also believe that man cannot live without a good pizza and a beer... but that's another thread. Take care my brother.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Alien, there is nothing wrong to apsire for man to love his fekllow man but if religion has to play a part then it should start by changing itself. A vacum has been created and out of that we have no interest in religion on one side and blind fanatical belief on the other. Religion today is still two full of prejudice and ignorance. Right now my daughter has mormons calling to the house and I am always asking her why do the women of the faith take all the crap they do from the men, why are they always subservient to them.

That is just a small example of man twisting his faith to control others. Religion should not be about control, hate, power or greed but unfortunately it is. There are thousands of examples where people live in fear and ignorance all because of religion. I remember watching an article on th Tsunami out in the pacific and a german misoionary was telling the local people it happened because they did something wrong. Well no they did not but he did and that is what religion is all about telling epopel that they are sinners and they have to repent or they will burn in hell.

Well where is hell, heaven and purgatory I'll tell you where they are they are in the minds of religeous fanatics who want us all to be gibbering lunatics scared of their own shadows. As far as I'm concerned if modern religion had not happened humans would be far more evolved than we are now, it is because of religeous dogma that we have not advanced, to this very day people die for their religion and why, for no good reason what so ever.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join