It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help on Purchasing Bible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Which one has ALL stories in it.
Which one is EASY to understand?

The only thing I came close to with this is the children's bible... I need something easy so I can understand it better.

I have a problem understaing, thou, thee, for, art, ect..

It screws me up.

Anyway I want to buy one off amazon..

Is the King James bible any good???

I want one that has the prophicies that are being fulfilled as we speak, I want to know things about his rules for the environment, ecology, moralaity, ethics, ect...

Please help..
Thanks in advanced.
TL

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
i think the King James Version is the most widely used and accepted version of the bible.

the International Version has easier to understand language, but i would go with the KJV

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Do you know why it's called king james version?

Was he a king ?? I'm confuzzled...

I was leaning that way but I wasn't sure if it was easy to understand...

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
king james was a king of england who ordered the compilation and translation of that version of the bible as we know it.

and unfortunately it has a lot of those "thee, and thou's" in it.

why not try the online versions.
etext.lib.virginia.edu...

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Excellent!
That was just what I was looking for, i'll try and see if I can get over the thou thee humps...
Thanks wwatcher, that site is awesome.

TL

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Honestly, I would not suggest starting with a King James Version of the Bible � very old English. It can be like reading Shakespeare and that is one of the big problems with the Bible, in my opinion, is that it does not get updated into our own languages for easier understanding. It still sounds like old English in many places.

You might want to look for an American Standard Version. Or look for the New International Standard Version.

If you are reading the Bible for the first time you might want to look for a study guide also to help you understand what the Bible is talking about in some parts. Even when the words are translated into readable English you are still dealing with cultures and traditions that are thousands of years old and it can be confusing.

Another tip is do not read the Bible straight through from Genesis to Revelations. The Bible is a library of different books and you do not need to start at the beginning and read everything in order. You might want to start in the New Testament with the book of Mark. Then read Acts and Romans. Pick short stories in the New Testament and then when you move into the Old Testament start by reading the people related stories and continue into the books named by people like Job, Joshua, Ruth, etc.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
thanks for the advice, i'll be looking more into this...

Amazon has lot's bible's in there...

I want one that hasn't been revised/rewritten/changed.

I want one thats authentic and easy to understand.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This is my bible; it�s widely considered the best bible you can buy. "life Application Study Bible" published by Zondervan.

Some info about this bible.

Synopsis
- A great choice for those looking for a Bible to help them apply biblical truths to their lives.

- Thousands of in-text application notes provide penetrating insight into Scripture.

- Over 100 personality profiles reveal lessons to be learned from the lives of biblical figures.

- Also available in the New American Standard Bible.

Description
- Application Notes provide penetrating insight into what the Bible says to you about how you live.

- Book Introductions use timelines, overviews, and outlines to prepare you to hear and respond to the book's truths.

- Character Sketches spotlight key Bible figures and the lessons you can learn from their lives.

- In-Text Charts and Maps help you locate key places and grasp difficult concepts at a glance.

- Dictionary-Concordance developed specifically for the NIV Life Application Study Bible.

- Red Letter Edition with the words of Christ printed in red.

The link I provided has a link that will let you see some of the pages and the layout, you will be impressed.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Your best bet is to look at the different translations and see which one is easiest for you to read. Personally I prefer the New International Version and the New King James Version.

Vist BibleGateway.com You can look up passages and compare versions there.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky

That's just wierd Pisky.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

That's just wierd Pisky.

You're forgetting something Dbates...
Pisky is weird.

I personally love his odd photoshop jobs using a picture of him as a child Hehehe.
You should see his 'Pisky needs you' ad, v. gd.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Oh, and on the bible topic, I personally love the Osbornes childrens bible, very informative! And no thee's thou's thy's. guarented.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
To get a Bible that hasn't been changed or altered you would have to learn ancient Hebrew, Latin and Greek and read the original scriptures. Any Bible written in English, especially the King James Version is not 100% exact. These are 2000-year-old dead languages being translated into common English. That's why I recommend getting a study guide. If you get a really good guide it will have the original words written in Hebrew, Latin and Greek and show you how certain words or phrases translated into English.

I did a quick Yahoo search for Online Bibles and found this website: www.bibles.net... It has all of the popular Bibles online. You can look at them and determine if any will help.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyCool21

That's just wierd Pisky.

You should see his 'Pisky needs you' ad, v. gd.

You mean this one ? :

And yes, I agree that the KJV Bible is somewhat difficult to understand at times. Thou shalt not and all that. If you like that kind of archaic language (as I do), then its fine. But otherwise I'd suggest a new translation.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
lol pisky.

I'd suggest the KJV, as well. But I like the language used in it.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
get a study one. its in plain english. mine is the king james version and its in the kings english. a difficult read

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
My grandma told me to use the Douay Rheims bible.
She said it has both. Real text and then translated beside it on the other page.

She said it's barely around anymore and is hard to get?

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The Douay Rheims bible is also known as the 'Catholic' Bible.

The Douay-Rheims Bible is a scrupulously faithful translation into English of the Latin Vulgate Bible which St. Jerome (342-420) translated into Latin from the original languages. The Vulgate quickly became the Bible universally used in the Latin Rite (by far the largest rite of the Catholic Church).

You can still get copies of it - I've seen quite a few in Ebay for reasonable prices too.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I just went over to Ebay to check something and while I was thereI had a look for the Douay Bible.

I have to warn you about something - check the post/shipping prices if you use Ebay. Sometimes they are atrocious. For example, five mintes ago I found a copy of the Douay Bible - it was selling for one dollar (so far). Fair ebough, but then I checked the shipping price - $14.50 ... bugger that, says the Pisky.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join