It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welfare Reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Ok, I am going to try something out here. I know everyone has different opinions on this issue. What should we do about welfare?

I realize that I do not know all the details that would be required to make a good decision on what to do with the situation. I do though, see that there is a problem with welfare. Without being fully educated on it, I would like to give some opinions on what i think needs to be done with the program. I'm actually looking for other people to give their own opinions on it too. Whether you don't think anything needs done, you think it needs eliminated, or something in between. So what do you all think we should do with welfare? What are its flaws and what are its benefits in your eyes?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I personally think that there is far to much wasteful spending going on with our government. Programs like welfare are a big part of that problem.

It seems to me that it is very easy to take advantage of the system. In my opinion, a lot of people hang out on welfare just because they can. Here is some of my ideas. Tear them apart if you want.

I think that to recieve welfare, you must first agree not to have any more children. It is foolish to allow these people to keep bearing children. In some cases this is done just to recieve more welfare. If they have children after they are on welfare, the children should be taken away from them. If you are on welfare, you should be in poor financial shape. Far to poor to be supporting children. There are people who are more than willing to take these children in and give them a good home.

If you recieve welfare, you should be forced to have a job. If you cannot find a job, then you should be forced to do something productive for the government (as much as I hate that Idea). There should be no free ride. Have them go out and clean litter up off the street for their welfare check. I don't really care, just make sure they are doing something productive.

These people should be tested for drugs. If they have a drug problem, take their children away. And put them into a rehabilitation facility in lieu of paying them a welfare check. Then when they get out, the above should apply. Test them again, and make sure they are not on drugs. Drugs are a huge problem, even if some of you disagree.

People should be encouraged to get off of the program. I can think of a lot of ways to do this (they are all kinda mean though). Humiliation is one of them, though thats not very compasionate on my part. As far as a good thought, maybe taking colateral off of them or something like that. Tough call. People need the encouragement though.

If I think of anything else, I will post it. I hope you guys put out some ideas.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Well, first, with food stamps, make it so they have to buy food. Not candy, food. Of course, that is how they make drug money. You buy 50 cents of candy with a 5 dollar food stamp, you get money in exchange. You do that 10 times you have 45 dollars. More than enough to buy a small amount of drugs.

So, yes on the drug testing. Also, how many of you see someone driving a new car while on welfare? I see it all the time when I was working at Meijer's. Some fat black woman with 8 kids following her and she buys a shiznick load of candy, gets money in exchange, then takes the kids to her new 30,000 dollar SUV. Or another good one is when same woman buys her son new Nike's, yet doesn't have enough money for food. Man, I wish I could make that kind of money. But I don't feel like becoming a prostitute or drug dealer while on welfare, so not going to happen. And good idea on no more kids. If you want more kids, have the money to take care of them.

And when I was working, about 90% of the people I saw on welfare were black. Only a few white and hispanics were. Sad part is, there aren't that many blacks around here. This is farm land, countryside, so not to many blacks live out here. Lots of whites and hispanics, but few blacks, and sadley few asians.(Asian fetish baby!) And why they all fat! If you so poor you can't afford food, how can you be that fat! I didn't know McDonalds took food stamps.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by James the Lesser]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
My dad's ex was on welfare for her own lazy selfish reasons.....

She purposely had 4 kids to up the amount, she did coke, pot, smoked 2 packs a day, and had a drinking problem. My dad tried to help her, but she did it behind his back so he said the hell with you...

7 years later, she calls him at 9pm asking him if he wants to buy a SHED!!! Buahaha, I guess when the going get tough the tough get going... LOL...

Saw her child 4 years ago walking downtown to go to Court! Yup the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree..
Btw, she was white... what you call, your finest of fine, white trash...
She used to visit him on her son's little bike because she didn't have a car... Oh yeah, and she never used to wear shoes into wal mart...
Neither did her son...

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Eliminate it. There is no justification for this level of social spending on a federal level.

The result is a bloated system that people now have taken for granted and this it is OWED to them.

Truth be told the federal government doesn't you much of # besides what's in the Constitution.

Get a job and STFU like the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I dont mind giving some of my paycheck to those too disabled to work or for a short time to someone down on his luck but in 99% of the cases it sould only be temperary.

In todays computer age most disabled can be retrained to do some other kind of job.

And to those who just cant find the "right" job......tuff #

If it werent for the wrong job I would have been unemployed all my life........LOL

And in the fraction of times when the person is to disabled to ever work, if there is such a thing, I have no problem helping to support them but I suspect that there would be at most a few thousand that fell in this group.

The people I hate giving money to is the ones like my cousin, she had 5 kids each with a different father and done crank the whole time. I told her that it would mess up her baby and know what she said?

"If its borned deformed or retarded I get more money"

I am happy to say that kind of # is no longer allowed here you have a lifetime alotment of 5 years you are expected to go to school or get training during that time if you dont......By By Buddy.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The "Nasty" word is "means" testing one that the DemocRats have been fighting since the inception of government giveaway programs. It actually means that no vote buying can be done while at the same time helping those that deserve and need help while protecting you the taxpayer..

The dems want to keep both the poor blacks and whites on the "plantation" so to speak, because it assures them of a 20-% vote count automatically without coughing up any precious campaign dollars to get that vote, they'd rather steal that money from you!

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If people don't think Democrats pander to the welfare/illegal immagrent/affermative action population then I think they are sadly mistaken.

It should be obvious that politicians (on both fronts) are scared of the racial witch hunters too, because no one has the balls to close the damn border.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well then, nice to hear some only have 5 year rules. My mother was on it, before she had me or my sister. She was out of college, and couldn't get a job. For 5 months she was on welfare. But guess what? She decided not to sit on her ass and ride the government paycheck forever. She kept trying to get a job, finally got one, and has been working it ever since. She currently makes over 60,000 a year working as a freaking security guard!!!! She been with them for more than 2 decades and has earned tons of bonuses. But guess what? She went to college, but to be a security guard you don't need to have a degree. So what in the hell? These people can't get a job? Also, can work at Jeep, father been working there for 17 years, makes a ton of money, and he didn't need his college degree. Here are two jobs anyone can get. Hell, I could get a job at either one once I get out of school. Sure at first be making only 20,000 a year or less, but it more than what you get from welfare.

Also, while working security at British Petroleum, my mother had co-workers who were on welfare. Guess who called off work the most? And why was that? Work to many hours, make to much, get taken off welfare.

Anyways, I say the drug testing, 5 year rule, and no more kids is a good idea. Of course then you would have millions of blacks, white trash, hispanics, and others with no form of money. So they would go out and steal, crime rate would rise, prisons be packed with more people, more tax money to government to build more prisons, so would be being as much taxes you would if they were on welfare.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
the welfare system sucks. I want a 1 year limit - then no more hand outs. After you get a job, you should have to PAY THE MONEY THAT TAX PAYERS (IE people who actually work) GAVE YOU BACK. This could then be used to either lower taxes, or pay for future welfare. If you do not get a job after welfare, you get deported! Sounds harsh yes, but I don't want unproductive lazy ass people getting off welfare and then stealing from me to make money.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I don't know a whole lot about how the system works but I do know of people that abuse it. In some cases I'm sure it is needed and others it's a crutch for when drug dealing doesn't cover the bills.

The question is why would happen if it was reduced. Given the current jobless rate due to the president's inadequacy in office and other factors I'm sure a lot of people are going to need this system to help them get back on their feet. As for the abusers of the system if we take it away from them what will happen?

I have one idea, if the are abusing the system in the first place (and that is criminal) who's to say if we take it away they won't commit other criminal acts to subsides the lost income? Like robbery, GTA etc. Than instead of the federal government having to give them money states will have to dish out additional funds for police, man hours, and have a bit more crime on their hands that may in the long run cost more than it than was being given out with welfare.

That's one idea anyway.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It's not about the people that abuse it. People will take advantage of anything given to them. It's human nature.

The idea is that government handouts are rediculous. The people are in no way responcible to maintain any level of comfort for the masses. They are responcible solely to provide as equal a chance for all citizens as possible.

The ideas behind capitalism is that every man makes his own fortunes, make or break.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I agree with you that this level of spending on a federal level is unacceptable. I am convinced though that these types of programs are here to stay at this point. They are used as a tool by the democratic party to scare people into voting for them. Democrat politicians convince people that they need these things, then they get them hooked on it. After that, they scare them into thinking people are going to take it from them.

A lot of these people think that wefare and other such programs are a right of theirs. What a misguided vision of life that is. These programs are not even close to a right. Yet people feel as if they are being cheated if they dont get a cut of it.

If I thought though, that at this point there was a chance to eliminate programs like this, I would say get rid of them. The only problem is that taxes in this country are far to high to do it. The government yanks the money that could be providing these people educations, and jobs, right out of our pockets.

top topics

join