It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia gets greedy as forcast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I had a feeling Russia would go this route, many orators have said on many occasions over recent years that the Russians are likely to start driving up the price of oil and gas as a tool to further their political ambitions. Just as OPEC is cutting production in an effort to drive up prices in the west, the russians are now wanting to do the same with gas.

I seriously believe that in time we will either be controlled economically by the russians using energy supplies to blackmail nations, or if we stand up against them they will drive up prices or cut supplies off. Either way this at the throw of a switch will make most of our cities uninhabitable.

If any of you were wise enough to start making plans about moving out of the bigger cities I think you should start putting them in action.

Either way I can guarentee you the days of guarenteed energy supplies is over, and the wise will put in place plans for emergy heating, lighting and water pumping, even if its just buying some bottles of butane and a camp cooker/ heater for the home.
Read on.

Putin says 'cheap gas era' ending
The era of cheap gas is coming to an end, Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has told ministers from the world's major gas-exporting countries.

Mr Putin said the cost of extracting gas was rising sharply, therefore "the era of cheap energy resources, of cheap gas, is of course coming to an end".

The Gas Exporting Countries Forum (GECF) meeting in Moscow has agreed a charter and plans for a permanent base.

Some observers say the GECF may develop into an Opec-style producers' cartel.

This speculation increased with the news that the charter had been adopted and that GECF leaders had agreed to establish permanent offices in Doha, Qatar.

Mr Putin had earlier said Russia was ready to set up the headquarters in St Petersburg and give it full diplomatic status.

"A new organisation has been born today, said Russian Energy Minister Sergei Shmatko.

As the head of the government of the world's biggest gas exporter, Mr Putin's word carries weight both with producers and consumers, the BBC's James Rodgers in Moscow.

But despite Mr Putin's warning, gas prices - which tend to follow oil prices with a delay of a few months - seem likely to fall in the short term, he says.

The EU gets 42% of its gas imports from Russia, mostly via pipelines across Ukraine.

The Moscow meeting comes amid growing concern that a new contract dispute between Russia's gas giant Gazprom and Ukraine could disrupt gas supplies to Europe this winter.

'Not a cartel'

Concerns over energy security mean a formal organisation of gas exporting countries would be deeply unpopular in Europe and the US.

It is feared that such an organisation could hold a monopoly on world supply and set prices to suit its own needs.

The countries attending are Algeria, Bolivia, Brunei, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Libya, Malaysia, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia, Trinidad and Tobago, the United Arab Emirates and Venezuela. Equatorial Guinea and Norway are attending as observers.

As well as the possibility of formalising the organisation, issues including possible future cuts in gas production and the effect of lower oil prices are also likely to be on the agenda, our correspondent says.

Industry analysts say technical differences between the oil and gas markets - including longer-term contracts for gas exports - make it unlikely for now that gas exporters will set Opec-style quotas.

Officials at the meeting stressed they were not trying to set up a price-fixing cartel.

Venezuelan Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez said participant countries wanted to build a solid organisation, "which has in its foundation the same principles that gave birth to Opec".

But he added: "It's not a cartel. We are defending the interests of our countries, that's all."

Ukraine row

At the moment Russia remains locked in a dispute with Ukraine over non-payment of debts.

Russia's Gazprom says Ukraine owes it $2bn (£1.4bn) and has warned it may cut off gas supplies next month if the dispute remains unresolved.

On Monday, Gazprom said it had warned European customers about possible disruption linked to the Ukraine dispute.

"It is not ruled out that the current position of the Ukrainian side and some of its actions could lead to disruptions in the stability of gas supplies to Europe," Gazprom Chairman and First Deputy Prime Minister Viktor Zubkov said in a statement.

A similar dispute three years ago saw Russia briefly cutting gas deliveries to its neighbour, action that also affected supplies to several western European countries.

Story from BBC NEWS:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2008/12/23 18:24:30 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Great stuff, no doubt... But....... How's this help me survive? Perhaps edit into another thread heading?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
Great stuff, no doubt... But....... How's this help me survive? Perhaps edit into another thread heading?

Being informed is the first step to surviving, knowing what is coming helps you plan,and accordingly now hopefully this thread will develop into a debate into what types of auxilary heating and lighting we need at our homes and retreats. IE I keep multiple boxes of candles and the safety lanterns to put them in, I also keep two bottled gas portable fires and a bottled gas Burco water heater in my house. Wealthier folks will probably be buying up diesel gennies which in the UK are now under £200 to buy.

Many people do not realise that their gas central heating systems have electronic ignition and saftey systems so if the powerr goes off the gas goes off as well.

Today in Lancashire thanks to one small gas leak ingniting under a power line 18,000 homes are without gas or electric and are likely to remain that way for over a week.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The ruskis can sabre rattle as much as they like, seeing as there are reportedly huge gas reserves in the northern hemisphere. I feel that the dominence of Ruski supplied gas will be diluted somewhat, once the energy companies get thier backsides into gear.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

You are so right... I appologize... I should have remembered what GI Joe said... "Knowing is half the battle."

GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JOE!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

For those not like us who are preparing this is a warning, a wake up call. Get out of the cities, find new ways to control your personal energy, because to simply turn up the thermostat or open the fridge may soon be a thing of the past.

Get to the country, install solar panels, deep cycle batteries, put in a well, etc...

There are many forms of "survival" It could be economic failure, hordes of zombies, the inability to get fuel. The idea is to prepare for what ever is out there, to become self-sufficient.

Also, thanks for the information on this NR, hadnt seen that before.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 18731542
The ruskis can sabre rattle as much as they like, seeing as there are reportedly huge gas reserves in the northern hemisphere. I feel that the dominence of Ruski supplied gas will be diluted somewhat, once the energy companies get thier backsides into gear.

Which according to both Royal Dutch Shell and BP is at least 12 years away from possible full supplies, in which time Russia has control over the three main pipelines, and has an army parked only 40 miles from the fourth pipeline in Georgia, they have us by the gonads, like the OPEc nations have the oil supplies.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
reply to post by Jkd Up

For those not like us who are preparing this is a warning, a wake up call. Get out of the cities, find new ways to control your personal energy, because to simply turn up the thermostat or open the fridge may soon be a thing of the past.

Get to the country, install solar panels, deep cycle batteries, put in a well, etc...

There are many forms of "survival" It could be economic failure, hordes of zombies, the inability to get fuel. The idea is to prepare for what ever is out there, to become self-sufficient.

Also, thanks for the information on this NR, hadnt seen that before.

If you have a family, you have a duty to ensure continuity, IE You must take steps to protect them if the lights go out or the gas and oil stops flowing, for any reason. its only common sense to keep lanterns, candles, light sticks, flashlights, calor heaters, baby burcos, diesel gennies, Berkfeld water filters, etc depending on what you fear most and what you can afford. ASccording to the media there is nearly 18,000 people in part of Lancs freezing their butts off because there is no gas, and in some areas no power either. The sheeple will have to rely on goodwill and the local council to survive the cold weather thats due back tomorrow. Do you think you can put the safety and well being of your family in the hands of the local government???

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Is it not completely stupid that we maintain defenses against invasion and the actions of other nations, we spend trillions of $ and £ on military strategy, and yet our governments thought it was perfectly fine to allow our nations to become completely dependent on other nations for energy?

This is a serious #up by the PTB in maintaining superior military strategy in the defense of our nations.

Could it be this stupid and this obvious? Or do our governments already have a plan for replacing such fuel with another method of energy production should the need arise?
Perhaps we've already developed an alternative and have just held off because the financial and industrial implications of switching to its use would have been more catastrophic?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Is it not completely stupid that we maintain defenses against invasion and the actions of other nations, we spend trillions of $ and £ on military strategy, and yet our governments thought it was perfectly fine to allow our nations to become completely dependent on other nations for energy?

EXCEEDING WISE WORDS

This is a serious #up by the PTB in maintaining superior military strategy in the defense of our nations.

Could it be this stupid and this obvious? Or do our governments already have a plan for replacing such fuel with another method of energy production should the need arise?

ERM NO, they dont.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Something to chew over my enlightened friends.
During the 50s, 60s, and especially the 70s and 80s the UK kept supplies in case of war, national emergy or disaster.
Stuff like 90,000 tons of beef and pork were kept in giant freezer depots, 6 weeks supplies of domestically produced coal were kept, hundreds of thousands of tons of grain was kept, millions of gallons of petrol and diesel were kept. BUT not now. The UK has 3 days supplies of food available, mainly what is now left in the hands of the supermarkets, we dont have any strategic reserves of fuel, coal or oil. We dont have the grain stores.
Heck we dont even have a civil defence program or anyone trained to impliment one.

Our electricity generating capacity used to have between 16 and 20 % spare capacity, but not any more, most of our generating capacity is working nearly flat out and many of our generating stations are life expired and due for closure. But what is equally scary is that many of our generating stations are 100% reliant in imported gas from Europe and Norway. As a nation we are royally F****** when it comes to self reliance, and our chums in the US are not much better as their power, water and gas distribution systems are now ancient and in desperate need of upgrade.

Yes the gas and electricty will keep flowing, but not all the time, we must prepare for periods without the supply of gas, elec and water.The good days are coming to an end.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I know that the US has stockpiles of various items, including oil, but honestly, I dont care if there was a stock of 80 tons of meat and wheat down the street from me.

Its about being able to take care of yourself and those around you without help from the outside. If the russians pump up the cost of gas so high that we have rolling blackouts, doesnt matter, fire up the generator. If the gas I put in my truck is sold out, so what? I stay home and take care of myself.

Youre right, the "good days are coming to an end". But, were they all that good? Sure, cheap fuel, cheap electricity, booming economies. We all have fatter wallets, but we also have fatter kids. Horrible pollution, crime, fewer rights, more money and power in the hands of those wishing to see freedom come to an end (think Chavez)

My very first ATS post, (which I got pounded for) was about the best way to reduce pollution and lower energy costs, I mentioned we should shut of the grid and make every individual responsible for their own energy production. Sad to say, I may actually find out if that works.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
I know that the US has stockpiles of various items, including oil, but honestly, I dont care if there was a stock of 80 tons of meat and wheat down the street from me.

Its about being able to take care of yourself and those around you without help from the outside. If the russians pump up the cost of gas so high that we have rolling blackouts, doesnt matter, fire up the generator. If the gas I put in my truck is sold out, so what? I stay home and take care of myself.

Youre right, the "good days are coming to an end". But, were they all that good? Sure, cheap fuel, cheap electricity, booming economies. We all have fatter wallets, but we also have fatter kids. Horrible pollution, crime, fewer rights, more money and power in the hands of those wishing to see freedom come to an end (think Chavez)

My very first ATS post, (which I got pounded for) was about the best way to reduce pollution and lower energy costs, I mentioned we should shut of the grid and make every individual responsible for their own energy production. Sad to say, I may actually find out if that works.

I think that within my lifetime the trend will become for communities to have to produce a percentage of their own energy needs, probably from stuff like local wind/ wave farms, solar areas and deep geothermal energy sources, plus a return to locally produced coal, peat and wood. I love the cleaner greener environment that we have today compared with the poisoned air and water we had in my youth, but I believe the selfish nimbys who object to any sort of wind farms etc are simply going to have to accept change.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Another sound post NR

This was one of those radio news items that had us stopping to listen in our household...the UK is heavily dependant on Norwegian gas and French electricity to make up the shortfall in meeting demand

Over the next few years we will start seeing a drop in the retail prices of solar thermal and electric panels, as well as a relaxation in the planning regulations to allow microwind to be installed domestically in an attempt to bolster national energy security.

Standalone power and community micro-grids are the new way forward...and about bloody time too

...now, if only I could invent something that can harness the power of drizzle I'd solve Briatin's energy problem in a jiffy

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Another sound post NR

This was one of those radio news items that had us stopping to listen in our household...the UK is heavily dependant on Norwegian gas and French electricity to make up the shortfall in meeting demand

Over the next few years we will start seeing a drop in the retail prices of solar thermal and electric panels, as well as a relaxation in the planning regulations to allow microwind to be installed domestically in an attempt to bolster national energy security.

Standalone power and community micro-grids are the new way forward...and about bloody time too

...now, if only I could invent something that can harness the power of drizzle I'd solve Briatin's energy problem in a jiffy

I just found out this very morning that 42% of Britains gas comes from Vlad Putins Russia, FOURTY TWO PERCENT Bloody hell that is absolutely terrifying, If I did not know better I would think this Labour government is doing the same as our old Labour government and selling us out to the ruskies. I am going to start saving PDQ for a PV system for the house. I suggest the rest of the motivated survivalists start planning themselves.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, will get a move on and make plans. By the way, hello and merry xmas to all

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Very worrying. I have heard of Gazprom before being used as an enforcing arm of the Kremlin by threatening and actually shutting off gas supplies to former Soviet states to ensure their obediance.

More worrying stuff comes up when you dig a little about Gazprom though: private mercenary armies, buying up television stations, newspapers, banks, running schools in Gazprom cities for the children of employees.

Independant article on Gazprom from 2007

It has a lot of previous form for cutting off the supplies of gas to disobedient former client states and we are very vulnerable.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CallSign
Very worrying. I have heard of Gazprom before being used as an enforcing arm of the Kremlin by threatening and actually shutting off gas supplies to former Soviet states to ensure their obediance.

More worrying stuff comes up when you dig a little about Gazprom though: private mercenary armies, buying up television stations, newspapers, banks, running schools in Gazprom cities for the children of employees.

It has a lot of previous form for cutting off the supplies of gas to disobedient former client states and we are very vulnerable.

There is a map I downloaded from the BBC showing the primary oil and gas pipelines in the Eurasian block, roughly theres four that concern the UK, 3 are in russian hands and the 4th is in Georgia, right next to that Russian army that invaded three months ago. Gonads in a vice spring to mind.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Good god almighty, While I was focusing on the equally dangerous threat from the United States and Haliburton /Exxon and there threat to world stability bloody gazprom was growing like a cancer in my own back yard.
Bad guys to the front And to the rear it appears.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just breaking on the BBC
news.bbc.co.uk...

Be afraid or be prepared.
NR

Russia may cut off Ukraine's gas
Russian gas giant Gazprom has renewed its threat to cut off gas supplies to Ukraine on 1 January, saying a contract dispute has reached a "critical" stage.

But Gazprom spokesman Sergei Kupriyanov stressed that the dispute would not disrupt gas deliveries to Europe.

Ukraine owes $1.67bn (£1.1bn) for gas and $450m in fines, Gazprom says.

The EU gets 42% of its gas imports from Russia, mostly via pipelines across Ukraine. A similar row in 2006 led to gas shortages in several EU countries.

On Tuesday, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin warned that the era of cheap gas was coming to an end.

Ealier, Gazprom said it had warned European customers about possible disruption linked to the Ukraine dispute.

"If a contract for 2009 is not signed [with Ukraine] then we are not going to deliver gas without a contract," Mr Kupriyanov told reporters in Kiev.

"When there is no contract we cannot realise deliveries. The situation is not simple. It is even critical."

But Gazprom, he added, would "deliver the full volume of gas destined for transit and... fulfil all [its] obligations towards European consumers".

Story from BBC NEWS:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2008/12/24 15:58:33 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

[edit on 24-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join