It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If homosexuality is such a terrible sin, why is it not in the ten commandments?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I am picking this up from anotherposter's offhand comment in another thread.

For many American christians, homosexuality seems to be the central issue in their faith. The most extreme and tired example of this is Westboro Baptist church, and Falwell blaming the gays for 9/11. There is are ongoing threads with the Pope stating he beleives homosexuality is the greatest threat mankind currently faces and that the USA, along with the confederation of Islamic nations, has refused to join the UN's call to ensure that homosexuals will not face legal bias based on the religious preferences of the majority of its citizens. And of course Prop 8 just passed, recinding the right for gays to get married in California.

It is an understatement, I think, to say that many Christians beleive that homosexuality is the m ost offensive sin, yet it is not mentioned in the 10 commandments.

I do not think that God, with the powers that are ascribed to him, would forget to list this among his top 10 offenses. In fact in the NT Jesus says the greatest commandment is to love... couldn't we lighten up on those who are just trying to love?

[edit on 23-12-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Good point...

And another thing to remember is the commandments "You shall not make for yourself an idol" and "You shall have no other gods before me".

What does the Catholic Church do? Create idols (relics, crosses, pictures etc) and worship Jesus as God. Now I couldn't care much for the "Holy Trinity" nonsense, as Jesus was Gods messenger, not a God himself.

But hey, the Ten commandments seem to able to be ignored when it suits them.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Ya gotta leave something for Christians, et al, to be hatin' on. I mean if you start taking away all of what they use to persecute people with, what are they going to have to do on the weekends?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think its because GOD created Adam (A MALE) and then Eve (A FEMALE)..knowing that one NEEDS the other to create life. He created their bodies SPECIFICALLY for their own purpose (aka. penis/vagina) and without each other life as we know it ENDS.

I don't think even GOD intended that we as his people would decide to start sleeping with the same sex and actually believing that it was normal. I don't hate/dislike gays, nor do I care if that is how they choose to live...but gays CANNOT reproduce...so gays CANNOT keep life going on earth.

So the reason GOD never put the rule on the 10 Commandments is because not even he saw this kind of behavior coming!

EDIT TO ADD: Its NOT just a religious thing here...lets not forget...even in the world of science 2 men / 2 women cannot create life...so that in itself should tell you that homosexuality just can't be what was intended, unless you want life to end.

[edit on 12/23/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75

EDIT TO ADD: Its NOT just a religious thing here...lets not forget...even in the world of science 2 men / 2 women cannot create life...so that in itself should tell you that homosexuality just can't be what was intended, unless you want life to end.

If Human cloning is ever allowed to progress, two males could produce either a male or female offspring (XY + XY) whereas two women could produce a female child (XX + XX).

With careful monitoring and medical care, a male could even carry the child within himself.

It is not impossible, maybe very strange but certainly not outside the realms of human ingenuity.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

So the reason GOD never put the rule on the 10 Commandments is because not even he saw this kind of behavior coming!

Uh, oh, what happened to omnipotence ?

I think he just forgot to change batteries in his crystal ball, next time he better use Duracell

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
plus not all males or females can reproduce no matter how much sex they have...i guess that is also *unnatural* stone them,they cant get married etc etc *insert bigotry here* wrapped in the veil of religion

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
its covered in the 10th one:

Exodus 20:17, KJV

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's.

all the best.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
He created us perfectly....we are the ones who have been given free will to screw things up...over and over..

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

STU....sure they can in a LAB. But not even science can take 2 females or 2 males and mix this and that to create a life. They NEED both sets of chromosomes to accomplish life.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

You start your blantanly agressive post by saying Christians belive that Homosexuality is the worst sin.

That is simply wrong. As wrong as saying "All gays belive... and all Asians believe that."

Second, Christians are just like everyone else when we are offended by behavior. We don't care what you do as long as you keep it to yourself and don't force us to agree with you.

It is not in the 10 commandments. You are right. Anyone who says they know why is a liar and a fool.

If you follow the 10 commandments you can't go wrong. Believe in God or not.

That includes Gays. Homosexuality is NOT A SIN as the Pope JUST SAID.

BEING GAY IS NOT A SIN.

Performing gays acts is a sin because it does not propogate the species. The species dies. That is a sin.

God said, "be fruitful and multiply." When we act in ways that goes against what God says he is offended, making it a sin.

Please stop with these never ending CHRISTIAN vs GAY posts. They are getting tiresome.

You are gay, SUPER.

Christians are not evil, SUPER again.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
1Corinthians 6:9

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind"

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
plus not all males or females can reproduce no matter how much sex they have...i guess that is also *unnatural* stone them,they cant get married etc etc *insert bigotry here* wrapped in the veil of religion

Ummm..this has nothing to do with homosexuality and it being a sin. This has to do with MEDICAL issues where people who TRY to have offspring can't. So if you wanna bash religion for something make sure you have a legitimate argument. Cause this ain't it.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

He created us perfectly....we are the ones who have been given free will to screw things up...over and over..

WE, haven't screwed anything up.

What most Christians FAIL to realize is the FACT that when a person is forming in the womb, ALL PEOPLE START OUT FEMALE.

That means they have female hormones that shape everything about them, including their sexuality.

But, at the right moment the fetus can be injected with the right male chromosome, causing the fetus to become male.

But, it is a PROCESS, and during that transition certain aspects of a persons personality might not mature all the way.

So you could very well have a MALE born who will have a natural attraction to other MEN. Simply because we ALL start out female in the womb, and the transition to male is a transformational process.

That is why some people have gender identity issues, during that transformational period something didn't form all the way, or correctly.

[edit on 12/23/2008 by dalan.]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

No, the only genetic difference between males and females is the X and Y chromozones. As males have X and Y chromozones, then it stands to reason that two males could, in theory, mix material and create either a female or a male. Likewise with women, but seeing as they only have XX, then female offspring would result.

Anyhoo, God didn't create us, at least not in the Adam and Eve way. Plenty of evidence exists for human evolution going back long before the supposed 6,000 odd year date for Genesis.

If God created us perfect, why the disease? Why the blatant flaws in design? Humans are not perfect, so don't pretend they are.

As for accusations that homosexuality isn't natural, I beg to differ.

I have had plenty of pets that have shagged the back legs off each other, mostly of the same sex.

My two rabbits now regulary hump each other silly, sometimes in the face! I've seen cattle do it, mice do it, dogs do it.

Even male humpbacks engage in sexual behaviour with other males prior to going off to procreate with the women. They will roll around each other, penis's aroused, rubbing on each other and ejaculating everywhere. About as gay as it comes, if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
All religions are a tool of Darkness.
www.xeeatwelve.com...
This is real interesting reading and something that really makes sense to me rather than religious dogma.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

Ummm..this has nothing to do with homosexuality and it being a sin. This has to do with MEDICAL issues where people who TRY to have offspring can't. So if you wanna bash religion for something make sure you have a legitimate argument. Cause this ain't it.

crmanager as a christian says this...and i have heard the argument before many times by other christians who are openly in opposition of homosexuality.

*Performing gays acts is a sin because it does not propogate the species. The species dies. That is a sin.*

Like is said in my post,what does that say about infertile couples? my point means everything in relation to the post thankyou very much.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'm a christian, and I accuse anyone who judges another as a hypocrite. I'm talking to you, christians! Stop stopping your search!!!

"how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of you eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of you own eye.."
Matthew 7:4-5

I mean, it's right there, and that's only one I remember. Stop this foolishness you're embarrassing me!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Regardless, it is a tool to divide the masses and create more hatred and prejudice.

A person could argue this on many levels and still not get to the real answer. Can God forgive and love a homosexual?

Remember, he gave the 10 commandments to man because THEY wanted rules! It is not to say that the over 600 laws he gave them that they could even begin to keep them! GOD set them up to fail!!! Why?

Because he knew man wanted tools to measure by, and to control by. He gave them what they wanted!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Probably mine, and if it was you're welcome.

I agree with you.
It didn't make the Top Ten because God probably wanted to see just how Man would react with and against one another.
It was left in the mix for nothing more than to server as a test or to make us learn a lesson.

Now that doesn't mean everyone should start doing everyone else.
The last thing we need is another Sodom and Gomorrah, although something tells me we are not too far from it anyway.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join