It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

windows advance care and registry cleaners... need advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
i have been using Free Advanced Window Care for a long time but supposedly this version is not supported any longer. i have been looking into the upgrade for this program called Advanced SystemCare Free 3.1.1 but after reading about it on the iobit forum and what is written on download.com i am really not sure i want to do this upgrade.

from what i read there are many people that had problems with this program and from what i can tell the general opinion is this is not a good program.

www.iobit.com...
www.download.com...
www.download.com...

so i guess i am asking everyone if they have used this program and what they think about it and does anyone have any other advice or suggestions for a better program ?

here is a list on Major Geek of some registry repair programs but i have no idea which ones are good or not
majorgeeks.com...

any suggestions will be appreciated

[edit on 23-12-2008 by easynow]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Registry cleaners are still a bit of an issue regarding the 'best' ones... many still offer a freebie until an expiry date or only repair X amount of the registry upon which you gotta pay up to get the rest sorted.

I have previously had several on my machine. some clean bits that others dont etc. That was effective, but I've recently downloaded the 3.11 version of AsC free and that seems to be doing the job nicely enough...

If you check out Iobits main site, they appear to be offering the pro version for free at the moment..
I'm just looking into it to see if there are any ""use now, pay later" fine print

I also use this www.diskcleaner.nl...
and have installed smart defrag prior to the iobit cleaner which does not seem to cause any conflict and i have had no problems.

oh, and here's the glitch with the AsC pro deal

Get it free with TrialPay!

Try or buy one offer from your preferred brands and get your favorite products—free. TrialPay uses money from the advertiser to pay for your product. It's that easy.

www.trialpay.com...

Shame that... but if they are doing this now, then we may see a full free version somewhere along the line....

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
go to start -> run -> msconfig

use that tool to uncheck unwanted programs in your startup.

registry cleaners are a waste of time.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

thanks and i am familiar with msconfig already and that's why i don't have a problem with unwanted programs starting, but i think a program that fixes registry errors is needed and advanced windows care did that for me plus more. a simple registry repair would work but i think the other features are important also ?

not sure, that's why i am looking for advice

surely someone has tried this new version and can let me know if it's good or not ?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

thanks for the links and i will look at them but i really want to know about the upgrade to the advanced window care and if anyone will recommend it ?

i don't want to damage my computer with this program if i can avoid it, thanks

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Most of the evaluations I've seen of 'registry cleaners' is that they are not that useful. Back in the days of Windows 2000 they might have had a use, but probably not in XP or Vista.

It might be worth a search on the topic.

Here's a page talking about 'Registry Mech'. The user finds out it also deletes dll files.

Wiki says that malware and 'scareware' is also associated with these 'utilities'.

On the other side of the debate, here's a comment by a user at Answers-yahoo which talks about their good side.

Good luck!

[edit on 12/26/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

thanks Badge01

those links have helped me to understand that these registry cleaners are probably not a good idea, so i probably won't go that route.

the only question i have is..

is the registry repair in WAC the same as a registry cleaner ?

or

is cleaning the same as repairing or vice versa ?

cleaning seems like it would get rid of unused or un needed registry keys but i believe some needed registry keys can become mis-aligned(lack of better word) and need repair ?

maybe..........' repairing errors '.... might be the correct terminology ?

[edit on 27-12-2008 by easynow]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
has anyone ever tried this Glary Registry Repair

[edit on 31-12-2008 by easynow]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I used Advance Windows Care for a long time and have now been using Advanced System Care ever sense it came out.

I was/am so impressed with the program, I bought the Pro edition...

Really does a good job.

It is not the end all do all of course, but along with several other programs it works nicely...

Semper

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

thanks for the info, i do appreciate your opinion on the program and it's very interesting that some people have had no problems like your self and there are others who have had major problems with it.

from reading the forum at iobit, i am guessing they have worked out some of the bugs that were noticed in the beginning.

most likely i will download the upgrade, i just wanted to see if anyone here at ATS would scream...NO don't do it...LOL

thanks again

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Interesting. Can you quantify this in some way?

IOW, what makes you say it's doing a 'good job'? Wouldn't one have to take a variety of benchmarks pre and post clean to know?

Or is the program itself telling you something like 'your PC is now 10% faster'? If that's the case, would you trust the program to tell you it's better?

Just curious.

A less scrupulous program might do something to improve your cache and cause a perceptible speed up, then claim it was due to the Registry being cleaned accessing faster.

ISTM, and just guessing, that any speed up would only be a couple percent and be seen via benchmarking and not perceptible to one's senses.

[edit on 12/31/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Speaking of advanced systemcare pro key i have been using NEPTUNE SYSTEMCARE ULTIMATE for a long time and the upgrade for this program called NEPTUNE SYSTEMCARE 2017 is more powerful and with multiple feature. For registry cleaner, it is such a good choice for you cause for the junk files, registries entries and big but useless files occupy disk space and cause the bumpy responses to your computer. The system cleaner and tuneup can identify and clean them to free up more space and speed up your computer.
www.neptuneutilities.com...

top topics

join