It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

user acct question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Probably a dumb question:
My computer is pretty much broken now and I will be getting new one in new year sometime. I'm wondering when I get a new one, does my IP change (I will still be using the same ISP), and if so when I go to login to ATS will I lose my username and have to re-register, in which case my acct will lose the accumulated points etc?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
No to all. Your new PC will see the same ISP and IP addy as the old one does now. Unless you change your ISP provider, that is the only time your IP will change.

And if you change your PW and dont remember it after you get the new PC, well you could contact the staff and they probably can help you retrieve it.

Basically you should be fine so get that new PC and just use the browser, long in with your current acct info and your all set to corrupt that new PC with ATS fun and joy!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the info. I thought that was the case with the IP, but someone had told me a new computer changes the IP addy.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
That's strange that IP address would be tied to account name because I change my IP address roughly once a week for security reasons.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
Thanks for the info. I thought that was the case with the IP, but someone had told me a new computer changes the IP addy.

Nope. If you are on a broadband connection and use a router or cable modem router it wont change. If you connect the broadband directly to your computer's network card or USB port..which is not a good way to keep your PC secure, the IP address may change but most likely it will not. The new PC will see the exsisting domain of the ISP and set itself up accordingly. Broadband ISP's usually dont float their IP addresses simply because its a major headache at the headend for the system to keep re-assigning IP addresses just because of a computer change or network card change.

Even if the IP address changes, it wont affect your ability to log into your ATS account.

If your using dialup, the IP address always changes each time you dial in to connect to the internet. Again it would not affect your log in at ATS.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
That's strange that IP address would be tied to account name because I change my IP address roughly once a week for security reasons.

It really isnt strange at all. I have had the same broadband ISP service for 2 years now and have had the same IP address ever since. Before that, I was on a cable broadband provider for 5 years and had the same IP address. I think it changed only once but it changed back to the original IP after some problem they had at the cable company head end.

It also helps to have a static IP address when you run servers, such as I do for my online radio stations and game servers. I have 5 Linksys routers between me and the cable modem, and 4 hub extensions for each of the servers I run. If my IP address were changing, I would have to update listen links and game log in links constantly and that would be a pain!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The IP makes no difference. You may log in to your ATS account using any computer anywhere in the world. All you need is your password. If you're using a computer that's not yours, just make sure that you log out when you're done. If you don't log out, the next person using the computer might go to ATS and be logged in as you.

top topics

join