It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If man kind is to survive, religion must end

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

and we usually each have our special areas -

I have mine

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

That's true.
But it's how we go about "those areas" that define who we are.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Religion simply needs to be diminished politically to reach the point where it is rendered harmless and acceptable. The problem arises when nations and cultures become exclusive to one of the opposing religious viewpoints. These view points are diametrically opposed of course, like unstable elements and cannot by their natures be resolved to anyones satisfaction. As we move onward from the ancient world mode of thought, my hope is that religion can become more diluted and harmless. Make no mistake the evangelical right wing is a dangerous political element unless kept in check as they march to the beat of their master race fore runners dictating to the rest of us what should be taught in school and how we should act and think. These institutions of organized segregation and exclusion of opposing viewpoints amazingly can't see themselves from the outside looking in, and prefer to seek the pitiful comfort of their flock like sheep with no credence to what the earth and the fossil record plainly show regarding age of the planet. The passing of time and scientific discovery are steadily exposing the obvious flaws of the various holy book myths, no matter which one you subscribe or are born into. SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE is among the wisest thing our founding fathers devised in order to form a more perfect nation. Nothing radical is required. The waiting is hard, but however many decades or centuries it takes, religion is already on borrowed time. The people themselves will slowly migrate to the appropriate conclusion. Most people truly are rational beings and religion will be marginalized by it's own undoing the more it creates these pointless worldwide conflicts.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Solomons:

Hello to you
May I suggest that religion is a man made concept, not God's. You can take the religion out of the world, but that will not stop one's faith. That is truly where the Christian's path begins, is a walk of faith. One comes to the Father by faith. By faith we learn and become one with the Father. Being a Christian means a "follower of Christ", this means exactly that. You could take the church away, take the Bible away, but you could never take my faith away.

My faith means I have given my Lord my life. It is more than that. I have daily communion with the Father. How are you going to take that away from me? The only way is to take my life.

I don't go to a church. But I still have my worship time with God. Religion is a man made word, but being a believer or a follower of Christ is a spiritual meaning.

I hope that helps somewhat to explain the worldly with the spiritual. There is a difference.

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Do you seriously believe that if religions disappeared wars would stop?
We wouldn't find something else to fight about - most wars are based in the economic and power ambitions of leaders like Russia and Germany the first thing they did was abolish religious institutions and/or round up distinct religious groups as a focus of their prejudice.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Grandma, thank you for your comment in this debate. Now, I have no problems with faith itself, but problems begin to arise when people with strong faiths begin to convene. This leads to a grope mentality, and if the rong ideas rise to the surface, we have problems. It is this that the OP had a problem with. The grope mentaliy of religion, not the indevidualistic mentality of faith. I hope you have a good time with yours, Grandma.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by answerman

Who is a Christian/Catholic/Muslim to tell me what I can and Can't believe?

...Second line

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition. Confess,....

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

And while you have the right to attempt to force-feed me Organized Religious #e, I don't have to, and I won't, swallow.

BTW: It was only AFTER I read the Caustic crap from the evangelists that I starred and flagged the OP, who, I agree with wholeheartedly.

I, like Arthur C. Clarke, anxiously await "Childhoods End"

It is time to wake up and face reality and all the challenges it entails.

For many religious types, screwing others will always be equated with the number of times around the rosary, and there is very little you can do about it.

Embrace your spirit, it does exist, and you do not need anyone in robes offering you crackers and koolaid to help you find it.

Take care.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The scapegoat must be punished and destroyed! If it does not mankind will never be pure! How dare that scapegoat even exist since it so pollutes us with the evil actions and thoughts it makes us do and have!

*please note the sarcasm*

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
bill maher is the last person id take seriously. Yes hard line religionists such as those who stifle personal liberties, in the name of a writing in a book made by human hands are obsurd and defeating the purpose of living. to er is to live. religions which want total domination, are ussually not religion, but rogues false flagging religion. I dont like catholics or mormon doctrines because I personally feel they are all now, masonic. So its not religion to me, its deliberate liars and conspirators giving fuel over time to a fire being stoked by these ..people.,

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mastermind77

Funny thing is those that try to shove anti-religion *usually atheism* down everyone else's throats are simply trying to force everyone to their religious beliefs *yes by answering no to a question you are still answering it*. Which also is exactly like or worse than those concepts they claim need to be removed from existance. And is an error a great many zealots make, that being that they think that their ideals is the only good way we can go and any thing that contradicts them will only bring destruction and slavery.
Especially jokers like Maher.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I dislike the fact that religion drives laws and governments to the extent that it does. Unfortunately the morals (or lack of) and values that are a part of a person drives their reasoning (yes even government officials have morals and values
) and therefore it seems impossible for decisions to be may without some religious "logic" entering into the equation.

I think tolerance is the answer but that doesn't make it any easier.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by a2area

Totally agreed on the tolerance things and your post brought a line of a song to mind:

Because what consumes your thoughts controls your life.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I think it's the total opposite. For mankind to survive there must be religion... all the scientific progress of the renaissance would not have occured if all the tribes of europe had not been brought to heel in some form or fashion with common social rules. I know it was cruel but really, people act pretty cruddy and crave really strange stuff that will tear a society down....

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by miragezero

No one concept is ever going to save mankind save the ability to accept disagreement. Sorry to disagree.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by miragezero

No one concept is ever going to save mankind save the ability to accept disagreement. Sorry to disagree.

The point of contention is not about having the ability to disagree. It is about the ability to enforce social norms which are beneficial to a society. Either the government will do it based on a belief (which really becomes a belief SYSTEM just like religion)... or the church does. So it is really about authority. If you remove religion you will still have to have some authority to quell those who disagree with a belief that action "x" results in damage to a society.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by miragezero]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Get rid of religion? Which one or ones?

The secret religions that worship Satan? Like the Freemasons, Rosicrucians, Scientologists?

The Cabalists and Talmudics who believe they are supermen and the rest of us are vermin, goyim, subhumans, who need to die to make way for their Fourth Reichian utopia?

How about the UFOologists who think the aliens are supergods flying around waiting to come down and save us all?

How about the atheists who believe matter has godlike powers of self-existance and eternality and the ability to organize itself into infinite life forms and to produce life within itself spontaneously.

Of course the ones who believe in the Bible, in the Creator God, that Jesus is God come down to earth to sacrifice himself for our sins, those people are definitely bad and need to be stopped. Also the Muslims who say God's name is Allah and not something else. They also don't believe Jesus died on the cross for our sins, but then most Christians don't believe that either. The Muslims do believe Jesus is coming back and will destroy the antichrist, which also a lot of so-called Christians don't believe. (quesiton: who is more Christian, Muslims or some of these "Christians?")

Seems like the only ones who are not to be abolished are the agnostics, the ones who admit they just don't know who is right and who is wrong.

But anybody who leans more to one than the other, or anybody who has committed themself to any of these ideas about God needs to be, what, killed, their tongues cut out? Lobotomize them? What do we do to stop people from forming opinions and beliefs about God and origins?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Not only religion must be abolished, but other type of sinister wrongdoings such as corrupt politics must end. I agree with you that these will help mankind to become better and have a strong chance of survival, but there are also other things that must change regarding the ways humans express themselves.

Man should strive to be better and violence has to stop. Everyday, people are dying because of something wrong in the world happening so if violence was to end, there won't be anything to argue about. With ending religion and also ending corrupt politics, mankind would finally be a beautiful utopia.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join