It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occultism is not Satanism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
A lot of people seem to have bought into the idea that occultism = satanism. Its become a popular misconception.

Millions of Christian and Islamic tracts, books, videos, sermons warn of the "dangers of the occult", associating it with horned beasts, reverse crosses, ritual sacrifice, ritual abuse and whatnot.

NWO/Conspiracy-Literature sometimes picks up on this, theorizing of an "occult dictatorship" that is ruling the world. The mere mention of the word "occult" brings up dark images indeed.

Other, non-religious sources conjure up images of cheap market-place tricks such as crystal-reading, spiritualism, divination, palmistry, astrology etc. as being the "real" "occult science". While this is a tiny step closer to the truth, its not the full picture...not even half of it.

As a former practitioner of occult-arts I am unable to slay a goat but I am able to stare at a candlelight for one hour.

The meaning of the word "occult" is: Hidden, Concealed, Secret. It refers to a collection of teachings and techniques that were hidden from the general public and from the government for hundreds of years and only passed on in secret. Another word for this is "Hermeticism" or "The Hermetic Arts" (The Sealed or Concealed Arts)

Because they were hidden, all types of suspicions could be projected onto them...such as "satanism".

The reason they were hidden is because they were viewed as "heretic" by various religions and governments who knew they were unable to control people who exercise their soul and mind.

And that is exactly what real occult-sciences are: The practice of yoga, meditation, concentration, and dimensional-travel for the purpose of liberating the soul and mind.

Satanism, on the other hand, is an antithesis to Christianity, a form of rebellion, a philosophy of anti-Christian values. The catch-phrase "satanism" is also used by the more twisted and perverse elements of society who involve themselves in real crimes and real evils.

None of this has anything to do with occult-sciences in its original sense though. For a good example of real occult-practice take an old book entitled The Kybalion. It can be read online. From its table of contents:

I. THE PRINCIPLE OF MENTALISM.
II. THE PRINCIPLE OF CORRESPONDENCE.
III. THE PRINCIPLE OF VIBRATION.
IV. THE PRINCIPLE OF POLARITY.
V. THE PRINCIPLE OF RHYTHM.
VI. THE PRINCIPLE OF CAUSE AND EFFECT.
VII. THE PRINCIPLE OF GENDER

Does any of this sound satanic or evil? No? I thought so.

From personal experience I know the "occult = evil" concept to be one of the strongest campaigns of misinfo and disinfo ever bestowed upon society: For the religious its to do with evil child abuse, for the materialist its to do with scamming fortune tellers and snake-oil salesmen.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
How this ties in to one of the biggest conspiracies of all time

Practicing Meditation, Concentration, Self-Improvement, Body Discipline are arguably some of the most important aspects of liberation for the individual and ultimately society.

Having the two main streams of thought oppose this, suppresses that liberation.

Materialism: Its silly / non-existent.

Materialism and Atheism do not recognize anything supernatural, do not recognize the individuals inherent ability to tap into higher realms.

Religion: Its evil.

Fanatic Religion (not Religion in general) does not recognize humans ability to tap into higher realms on his own, without needing to kneel down and worship some personified deity.

Many occultists recognize a "Supreme Being" but more as an impersonal concept, as a "Force" from which all created things emanate. For this reason occultists certainly do not worship "Satan". The mere idea of "Worship" is viewed, by most occultists, as slavery.

A personified God, as Christians worship, is not recognized either. A Supreme Being that is all-seeing, all-powerful and all-expansive is not limited to one image or one idol or one teaching or one religion but permeates the entirety of existence.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Good thread.

Yes, I have had so many Christians tell me what I believe is occult and satanic. Even recently when I added a video as my favorite of a deaf woman explaining her Wiccan beliefs, my Christian friend was repeating to me that her beliefs were occult and that it was dangerous. My friend warned me to stay away.

Wicca, New Age, magick, even Scientology are all bundled together as Occultism by Christians. I think there is a reason for this. Yep, it's a conspiracy. Churches do not want us to think on our own and to embrace a religion that encourages individual freedom. The funny thing is that Satanism emphasis personal freedom and does not encourage worship.

You are right. Religion is evil. I have been pondering this for a long time... What if "Good" is really evil and vice versa?

Many Christians have asked me to define God. I always simply say that God is Love. They said that God gotta have attributes. They said that they know God personally while I don't since I don't know his attributes. To define God is to limit it.

That's all I can think of to say.
I will be reading this thread with great interest. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Thank You SkyFloating, for posting the two posts.

Can I ask you, if you do know about the other "types" in the Occult. Wiccan, Wicca, white magic, black magic and the other sorts of "magick types" like that. As there are more, but I can not remember the names of them. All of those practice in their own type of belief, and their own setof magick. I was wondering if you could explain in more detail about those other "magick groups". Ohh. Let me not forget about the "psychic-soul-powers". I have a book called: Ancient Wisdom - Magic From Around The World - Cassandra Eason. The book explains about some of the different types of magic, example: Aboriginal Magic. Air Magic. Animal Magic. Bird Magic (Auspicy). Celtic Magic. Chinese Magic. Christmas Magic. Colour Magic. Crystallomancy. Dice Magic. Domestic Magic. Domino Divination. Earth Magic. Egyptian Magic. Eskimo (Inuit) Magic. Fairy Magic. Fertility Magic. Fire Magic. Flower Magic. Food Magic. The Gypsy. Hallowe'en Magic. Herb Magic. Indian Magic. Love Magic. Maori Magic. Mayan Magic. Metal Magic. Moon Magic. Native North American Magic. New Year Magic. Norse Magic. South Afican Magic. Seasonal Magic. Sun Magic. Tea Leaf Reading. Time Magic. Travelling Magic. Tree Magic. Water Magic. And...The book explains how to do some of those types of magick use. Thanks For Viewing.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Occultism is not obligatorily Satanism, but some occult practices are satanic. Occult means hidden, and covers a great variety of practices, philosophies, religions, arts, literatures, etc. Some of them benign, some malignant.

Religion can be good or evil. My personal view, which I believe should be the mainstream view but is not, is that organised religion is bad, no matter what scale, because inevitably it creates hierarchy, and hierarchy favours the control freaks, the liars, the manipulators, the sadistic.

Good and Evil are much thrown about but mostly missunderstood terms. Those contemporary twits that think there is no good and evil, those missguided fools that hide under relativism and materialism are wrong. But the mainstream view of good and evil is also wrong. Let me propose what, in my experience, qualifies good and evil:

The universe is an energetic system. It has a positive and a negative polarity dycotomy built into it, a positive and a negative. This is true for batteries, it's true for emotions. The emotional counterparts of the positive and negative energies are fear and love. Where one's emotional makeup on falls on that spectrum is one's own responsability. The lower one is, towards fear, the more extreme and dangerous the actions one will do. The higher one is, the more positive and creational the actions. A loving individual is one that creates, the fosters, that nurtures. According to the energy system of the universe, this is positive. A fearfull individual will tend to destroy, to only create systems with the purpose of destruction, or with a negative impact on the creational energies of the universe. This can be observed quite clearly in the real world, the evil people are selfish, and this is a fear based mindset, they are scared of their peers so they try and be above them, they try to destroy them.

This is the true nature of good and evil: love and fear, creation and destruction. One defines the other, as you cannot really understand a concept without understanding it's opposite. And for the materialists, this is hardwired into the energy system that moves this universe, this is not relativism, your actions are never self justified, they fit into a matrix, they have a positive or negative value.

This is how I see these issues, I hope it helps those that are confused or missguided about them, and if I sound arrogant by making such definitive statements, my apologies, it is not my intention.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by Zepherian]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

I think some forms of Christianity (namely deep outback evangelism) breed evil in such a subtle way that many dont even notice it.

An example: If a "Satan" were to exist, the best way to take power away from him is by not recognizing that he even exists. The best way to bestow him with power would be by emphasizing him, becoming scared of him, warning of his dangers all of the time.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I find it interesting how people defend non-Christian values yet the Christian in this site is scoffed at and ridiculed as stupid and un-informed when compared to you "occultists."

I have NEVER heard a person who practices yoga called an "occultist." I am not denying your experiences though.

If the word offends you then simply scoff back at the un-informed, it is a word.

Just realize how similar your teachings are to Christianity.

You seek higher power.
You seek to become one with the Universe.
You seek passage to a higher plane.
You seek peace through meditation.

Sounds like any Sunday at a Christian church.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

I would say that good occult study involves all colors and types of magick.
But the emphasis of the original occult sciences, before being watered down into all these side-streams is simply a recognition of all-that-is and ones own inherent ability to choose from all-that-is, tap into it, focus on it for the purpose of experience and enjoyment.

In that sense any "Ritual" is only a tool to improve ones focus on something in particular...regardless of which "method" is used.

Also, if you recognize one of the most basic occult laws which is "The Law of Correspondence" (see OP), then practicing "black" magic with the intent of "harming" others is ineffective, because it just reflects back on yourself.

In this sense a true practitioner would avoid hurting others...not because religion imposes a feeling of guilt in doing so...but because hurting others equals hurting oneself in this all-inclusive action-reaction universe.

That is an entirely different understanding of ethics than the guilt-trip imposed by religion. Guilt & Shame can and do - psychologically - lead to those acts of harm being commited.

So, before going into the several methods and branches, its a good thing to gain a basic understanding of the hermetic and metaphysical principles behind them, imo.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

Just realize how similar your teachings are to Christianity.

You seek higher power.
You seek to become one with the Universe.
You seek passage to a higher plane.
You seek peace through meditation.

Sounds like any Sunday at a Christian church.

Yes, agreed.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian

This is how I see these issues, I hope it helps those that are confused or missguided about them, and if I sound arrogant by making such definitive statements, my apologies, it is not my intention.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by Zepherian]

Not at all. Good = Life Nurturing. Evil = Life Destroying. Its quite simple.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

As a former practitioner of occult-arts I am unable to slay a goat but I am able to stare at a candlelight for one hour.

If you are a former practitioner of occult-arts. Could I ask you, why did you quit that practice?

It is easy to slay a goat. Ever heard of a shotgun? A stick of tnt? A chainsaw?

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

I quit because after a certain amount of practice, all the excess baggage of yogic discipline, ritual, inner concentration, joining a club, is no longer required to just be. That is not to say that I wouldnt recommend such practices as a path to increased ability and peace.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Excellent discussion!

On the 'That Led Zepplin Devil Worship Discussion' We were discussing the difference between occultism and satanism for a bit. What I started to think about it all is that it is subjective. What is devil worship to one person is occult to another and is 'truth' to yet another.

Like in Christianity - feeding the hungry isn't worshipping Christ, but it's doing what He wishes. So operating in the occult isn't worshipping the devil, but it may be doing what he wishes. That kind of thing. That could be why people call the occult 'demonic'. My opinion at this point (and it could change) is that it's all subjective.

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Does any of this sound satanic or evil? No? I thought so.

A die hard Christian will probably tell you that anything that takes you away from God and the worship of Him is either satanic or evil. That when you expand your own psychic abilities then you are basically worshipping yourself and tossing God aside.

That being said - I believe that being a follower of Christ (a Christian) and exercising your own abilities are compatbile. But not every Christian will say that, and for the reasons I gave.

Originally posted by Skyfloating

QUESTION - what is the purpose of the 'stare at the candlelight'? Is it like water gazing? I have heard of that. But I haven't heard of the candlelight. (I'm trying remote viewing these days ... interesting stuff).

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
BRAVO!!! Great thread and a very Valid point! Nowadays it seems that Satanism is being a generic term for any and all non-Christian beliefs. Flagged!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The catch-phrase "satanism" is also used by the more twisted and perverse elements of society who involve themselves in real crimes and real evils.

(Inrespect To SkyFloating) Just as like in any "following", there are the wannabies and there are the followers. Thereis within a secter of "satanism", a real group of people which does follow the proper ways of "satanism". Those people do NOT act all wearing black clothes, wearing goth items on their body...and so on. I do know this, because I was sortof into it.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Nowadays? Christian religious structures have used that technique since the start of the religion. It's a fear based mindset, and as such you can easily tell it's "evil". Demonise everything else, set yourself up as the one truth.

It's sad that so many scared people fall for it, but their own personal fear is evil as well, and it's up to them to overcome it and gain some enlightenment. Such enlightenment can be the doctrine of christ for example, I don't mean to be black and white here. This is about the behaviour of the institution, not the fundamentals of the religion (although I don't think the way they are currently presented is how they were originally intended).

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
awesome post.

satanism is boooring and only freak-out-Bait for ravenous fanatical christians.

I've been just now recently researching everything about Herme's Emerald Tablet, Thoth's Emerald Tablets and Apolyons' Emerald Cave.

Ingenious writings .

I'm doing some investigation as to the 1930's era decoder "Dorean" (ie:"Claude Doggins" ) of the tablet(S) of Thoth...

as much as their writings ring true.. as far as his talk in the tablets of ..

-warnings of a future "invasion"

-serpent "dark brothers" that replace our elite commanders, and how their camouflage can only be seen-through by "sound"

- and how we could defeat them "with ease" if we find his ...

- hidden spacecraft under the Sphinx

-secret chamber of secrets if you draw a line from the top of the pyramid to the head of the Sphinx and keep that angle down into the ground...

-his talk of methods of astral travel

-his talk of maintaining constant youth by laying in alignment with the north and south poles of earth

- his talk of how to attain immortality in the sense that upon your death you practice specific methods regarding holding your consciousness between your eyebrows as you die.. in order to maintain the ability to recall the memories stored there ... in your next life..

- but most of all...
his talk of MAINTAINING A VIEW TO THE LIGHT...never looking away.. always looking TOWARD the light.. and methods of relinquishing yourself of thoughts of darkness... how we are all part of the ONE and that LIGHT will win over darkness eventually no matter WHAT..

this coming from something supposedly written icirca 15,000 BC.. and if not then.. then supposedly 1930...
even before we had begun seeing any "flying saucers" ..
or connections between ancient egypt and flying saucers and gateways and reptilians etc...

sooo...
with a GREAT DEAL of INSPIRATION....

i'm off for a LOT more research on the subject.. AND the "writer /translator"

but yeah.. about Thoth's "second incarnation" as Hermes.. and Hermes single emerald tablet.. that's a whole other story..
I'm having trouble with that one.. and Isaac Newton's translation of it.

...i'm sure masons in the military have already done all this and are all huffy puffy about it like it's the most cold-and stony secret to all.. etc..

meanwhile .. toth/hermes is laughin .. sayin .. man relax.. it was just a set up to get you to intellectually evolve .. it's a PLAN for you to "go through the steps of maturity to become a member of a galactic society..." .. nudge nudge..

chil out "mankind"..

"we're all ONE thing.. so whatever happens.. WILL be absolved.. so just chill..

...to the next episode.."

-

[edit on 22-12-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Your Led Zeppelin thread was actually one of the inspirations for this one.

The Christian-argument "Focus on self takes away from focus on good" is...at least...more valid than the "satanism" argument. Its an argument I dont agree with, but it makes more sense than the other.

Staring at a candle for one hour? The purpose is to concentrate attention (energy) at the exclusion of all outside "noise", pressure, cravings, aversions. To center oneself. Thus poised the practitioner gains clarity of mind and the ability to focus on comparatively easier tasks that lie ahead.

"Clearing the mind of clutter" is a basic practice as is not being swept back and forth by internal cravings and aversions.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Occult = Hidden, secret.

So, you can call very edge cutting science occult from perspective of ordinary people.

More common interpretation refers to something that common man thinks to be supernatural even nothing can never be supernatural. All and everything derives from nature; even the factories and motorways.

NWO (if one exists) can be called occult, because they are trying to conceal it. There is also occult part of christianity - the part that is not revealed in Bible, or is revealed in coded meanings, noncomprehensible for commoners.

Occultism is merely something not commonly known. Magick is psychology and psychology is occultism to most, but not all. It is merely vanity to trying to give an agreed meaning to occultism, since it varies during the time. Knowledge about gravity was occultism for a medieval man. Now secrets of religions are almost occultism to mundane man.

Sincerely,

-v

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

meanwhile .. toth/hermes is laughin .. sayin .. man relax.. it was just a set up to get you to intellectually evolve .. it's a PLAN for you to "go through the steps of maturity to become a member of a galactic society..." .. nudge nudge..

chil out "mankind"..

"we're all ONE thing.. so whatever happens.. WILL be absolved.. so just chill.. to the next episode.."

my sentiment exactly....
What the world most needs is to relax.

Hence all the Meditation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join