It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will mobile phones soon carry cigarette style cancer warnings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Will mobile phones soon carry cigarette style cancer warnings?

www.--.com

The question as to whether mobile phones do or do not increase ones risk of getting cancer, in particular brain tumours is a hot topic. Recent studies are contradictory and inconclusive. Experts say it might be decades until we have the answer, some argue that we should already act on the side of caution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
A top Australian neurosurgeon says the world's heavy reliance on mobile phones could be a greater threat to human health than smoking and even asbestos.

Vini Khurana, who conducted a 15-month "critical review" of the link between mobile phones and malignant brain tumours, said using mobiles for more than 10 years could more than double the risk of brain cancer.

He has called for "immediate and decisive steps" by industry and governments to reduce people's exposure to invisible electromagnetic radiation emitted by handsets.

Dr Khurana also called for a "solid scientific study" observing heavy mobile phone users for a period of at least 10-15 years.

"It is anticipated that this danger has far broader public health ramifications than asbestos and smoking, and directly concerns all of us, particularly the younger generation, including very young children," Dr Khurana said in a research paper published on the website brain-surgery.us.

In a phone interview Khurana clarified the statement, saying he was not implying smoking was better for people than using mobile phones, but mobile-phone related health issues affected a far greater number of people.

He said there were currently 3 billion mobile phone users worldwide, a number that is growing daily, and people started using them as young as three.

www.--.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Hmm interesting. But isn't there a LOT of things that people claim can cause more risk of cancer? So should we put warnings on everything then? lol

[edit on 22-12-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Well, at least now the cellphone toting wannabe health advisors who tell me my smoking is bad for me (as if I didn't already know), will have something I can point my finger back at them for.

Man, anyone else get really annoyed when some bimbo walks up to you, and tells you smoking is bad for you.

Really? I didn't know... gee, thanks for letting me know, I had no freaking idea.
These people should be banned from breeding.

Though, I've been asked often enough that I've come up with a bit of a response.

"You know, smoking is bad for you, you shouldn't smoke"

Reply:
"Ever since I started smoking, I haven't broken a single persons jaw... you really think it's wise to tell me to stop?"

[edit on 22-12-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The picture warnings they put on cigarette packs here in the UK are I feel an illegal harassment and mental abuse, if any government feel that smoking is soooooooooo bad then they should ban tobacco altogether, but they won't because it is too big a cash cow.

Why not plaster ads on your car windscreen showing fatal car crashes or on McDonalds burgers showing arteries choked with fat !!!!!

I was born and I know one day I will die, how I get there should be of my own choosing, I pay all the taxes imposed on me so instead of shoving warnings down my throat 24/7 just leave me in ******* peace.

Wolfie

new topics

top topics

join