It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is intellectualism a threat to the general pop?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it. It is how you promote your intellect. Are you trying to put forth that you are smarter than the people you talk to? People HATE that.

Totally agree. Some people feel they are being ostracised because of their 'intellect' and fail to consider the possibility they might be being ostracised because they are just arrogant pricks.

Intellect has VERY little to do with being 'personable'...and from experience, some of most 'intellectual' people I know are also the biggest tossers of Gods green earth...

...so perhaps no...people aren't shunned because they are smart...maybe they are shunned because people just don't plain like them...

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Exactly what I was trying to say, good show.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Originally posted by Krazy Jethro:

This is total crap. Education and exposure do not make intellegence. Intellegence a is born in trait.

Hmm, I hate to say that you're wrong, but you are completely wrong. Intelligence Quotient (or I.Q. as it's commonly called) is a born trait. How MUCH intelligence you can ACHIEVE is a born trait. I'm sick of everytime I make a valid argument, idiots are just completely ignoring it cause they can't prove me wrong. People are NOT getting dumber. They are more open minded and intelligent than ever. It doesn't mean that they are smart. People are generally still pretty stupid, just smarter than before. Take darwinism for example. 60 years ago a teacher could be thrown in jail for teaching darwinism, now it's required teaching. People just like to whine about things and say that the world is so horrible. You can talk about how people are stupid, but not stupider than before.
:shk:

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well, let me be the first to bow before your superior intelligence. I didn't know that we were graced by such an amazing individual. IQ is such a small thing, there are other factor to be factored in. Drive, passion, abstract thought. I'm guessing that you can't even think of the last one. Please help me to understand why I can't get your way of thinking. Could it be because you are so concerned with your IQ and you just aren't smart? Waiting for your reply H..

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Buller, Buller...........still waiting Herman.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Sigh, please grant me pardon for not recognizing the exacting mannor in which the conversation in the Rant Department was going.

Anyway, it makes little difference how many gay shows we have on TV, or what is taught in schools. I've searched all over and can't find any stats on how much people read over the course of the past 30 years, but I can bet you that it has gone down, and will continue to in this instant gratification world.

Most people I've talked to in the past year alone don't know anything not shown on the nightly news. A good portion of the younger ones don't even know who the vice president of the US is currently.

I would say that most people do not know how to do Calculous, and that was invented (in part) by Issac Newton.

I personally know a good portion of kids that go to college have a hard time with College Algebra (quite possibly the easiest math course ever created).

These are just examples but by no means prove my point. My point is, is that the capacity for intellegence on the whole remains the same.

Few are smart, most are dumb.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Hm? Was that Krazy Jethro, the person to whom my post was directed at that answered? No, it was intrepid. Still I will answere you. Oh, and I didn't respond right away because I don't sit here all day waiting for a response. I was at the movies with my friends.

A.) Of course you should bow down. I'm smarter than everyone everywhere. In fact, find someone smarter than me, and cooler than me at the same time and maybe I'll consider talkign to them. I rule.

My point is that I never said I was smarter than anyone, i don't know where you got that from. I said people as a whole are still stupid, but they haven't gotten any dumber. And yes, in a way being open minded is a sign of intelligence. People are more edjucated about things. People are just lazier. The knowlege is shifting. Most people don't know advanced math as well because we have calculators. Oh right, that's laziness!! How many people could re-format a computer in the 60's? People are smart in different areas. I don't see any statistics that prove people read MORE back then either. As intrepid said earlier, intelligence can be measured in many forms. Same goes for how it's learned. By the way, how old are you? Were you even around 40 years ago to see if we've gotten dumber? I know I'm only 17, but through reading history you can see that we've gotten more intelligent. If you want proof, look around you. Hell, look right in front of you at the COMPUTER MONITOR in front of you which couldn't even be comprehended a few decades ago. Like I said, the knowlege is shifting and I still think there is more of it. If you're just talking about the every day common Joe, they probably haven't gained or lost much either way.

Was I wrong when I corrected Jethro about I.Q? Did I say that I.Q. is all that matters in being smart? You're reading something that's not there Intrepid, or mis-interpreting. He said that intelligence is a born trait. I corrected him and said that I.Q. is a born trait. Intelligence CAN be achieved. As far as ignoring my posts, I have respect for you for actually replying. Not that I'm above anyone, but people just don't want to put in the effort when I make a good point.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Herman, you come off as a total arse. Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I agree that generally, people are lazier and don't read as much, but, that's society's direction now. They are moving away from books and such and moving to technology. As a general rule for myself, I never watch a movie before reading the book if their is one. I know in some area's we are more intelligent as a whole, but, that's in the technology side of the coin. General knowledge is down, in my opinion. Few people bother to even read the daily paper nowadays. Heck, most don't bother to read the Sunday paper either.

regs out...

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Sometimes you have to come off like an "arse" in order to get your point across. "With a Golden Heart Comes a Rebel Fist". It's a common trend among "nay sayers" and liberals to complain about how un-fair and stupid society is getting. That's all I'm gonna say for now.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Sometimes you have to come off like an "arse" in order to get your point across. "With a Golden Heart Comes a Rebel Fist". It's a common trend among "nay sayers" and liberals to complain about how un-fair and stupid society is getting. That's all I'm gonna say for now.

What? I'm not getting that at all.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What part did you not understand? Well first off, the "Sometimes you have to come off like an "arse" to get your point across" means exactly that. I don't know how I can make it more simple
(No offence). "With a Golden Heart Comes a Rebel Fist" is just a cool quote from a song I like. I was using it as an example to explain the situation. And then the last line about the common trend; it's true. Alot of people that consider themselves, "intellectual" wind up following this trend that "The world keeps getting dumber". "Liberals, and nay-sayers" never look on the positive side of things. The war, society, the media, women's rights, civil rights.. They always want to make everything look worse than it really is.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Originally posted by Regs:

Few people bother to even read the daily paper nowadays. Heck, most don't bother to read the Sunday paper either.

That sort of backs up my statement about people not getting dumber, but lazier. Instead of reading the paper, they'd rather watch the news and learn the same information.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join