It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott STEAM games!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This is a call to arms for all ATS members. I need your SUPPORT!

Last week my STEAM account was hijacked by some sort of hacker. All I know is that one day I woke up and my password and email address on the account had been changed by someone else. It was not a shared account.

So after days of arguing with Steam customer 'support' about the ownership of the account I eventually got it back.

Now that the account is returned, all my games' online components are locked out. I am banned from every online server for Counterstrike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Team Fortress because the person that stole my account broke the rules on a secure server.

I have PROOF that I had access to those servers before the account was stolen, and PROOF that my record is completely clean. STEAM have on their records the date and time of the event that caused my account to be banned, and it was during the time my account was hijacked.

Heres the great bit.

They won't lift the ban on my games. Around $300 of software is now useless, ONLINE ONLY GAMES, banned from every server worldwide because of what someone else has done.

It has now gotten to the point that I've demanded from them new CD keys for the games on a new steam account otherwise I will raise hell.

This is the beginning on that hell.

I'm asking for all ATS members to boycott buying any games that use the STEAM system, and to encourage your friends and relatives to do the same.

Steam will soon be receiving a post-pack from me full of pieces of all the CDs I've bought from them, as well as the longest, most confronting piece of complaint writing they've ever seen.

If I wasn't poor it would be time for me to get a solicitor, but sadly I can't afford it.

Sound like a lot of complaining over a computer game account? For me it isn't. I'm what I consider a 'professional gamer'. I actually compete in, and win, tournaments on the games I now can't play.

Without that Steam account, my career in e-sports is pretty much ruined.

HELP ME OUT GUYS AND GIRLS! PLEASE!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
as a current member of the steam community, i will say just this one thing: We are NOT Your Personal Army

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
So, boycott a gaming console that works for most people (and usually flawlessly, in my experience and my friends) simply because you were targeted? Suck it up. I realize it's important for you, but don't ask for others to share your misery. Besides, you won't get much support for your boycott to make a difference to Steam. They have thousands of other people who will buy their games. Actually, you might even cause people to look up Steam if they don't know what it is and actually get their games. It's basically free advertising, isn't it?

Just keep bugging them. That's probably the best thing you can do. Or sue if it matters that much. But boycotting them for your case? Why would anyone care?

[edit on 21-12-2008 by Account]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Account

I see you are new to the ATS community, so I'll ignore a lot of what you just posted.

ATS and BTS have a lot of good people that like to support and encourage one another when another member is in need.

If they don't think this is a worthy cause then they can simply ignore it, and that includes you. You don't think it's worth worrying about? Fine, but don't criticize and judge me for being angry about it.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

While it sounds like you have had a bit of unfortunate luck, asking the members here to help you boycott Steam is a breach of the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you became a member here at ATS.

You are better off dealing with Steam Administration, it's there ban hammer not ours, good luck with your endeavor.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use

1 e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership at The Above Network, LLC site(s) for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not post, use the chat feature or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

It wasn't/isn't my intention to break the "recruitment to any causes" rule.

Just encouraging people to boycott the company, which is no worse than the daily 'get off your butt and do something about your government' demands from some to our US members.

It is up to each individual to chose where, how, and from whom they buy their gaming software, if they buy any at all. My apologies if my attempt at dissuading people from Steam was against the T&C, it truly wasn't intended to break the above clause.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Iv'e gotta say, sounds like your in quite a pickle, but you should deal with it, about a month ago my Diablo 2 Battlenet account was banned permanently, because someone was trying to steal it multiple times, while i was online, this account had the best gear for three different classes, barbarian, amazon, and necromancer, not ONCE did i post here asking for help, i dealt with it by creating a new account, and trying to get my gear back, so, from one gamer to another, dude just relax, its just a game

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Sauron is absolutely correct in reminding you about the T&C for recruitment.

To ask other members to join you in boycotting and fighting your cause is a bit of a "no-no".

Of course, there's nothing wrong with asking for advice and help.

Good luck with your fight my friend, but maybe something is telling you to try doing something a little more positive with your time rather than run around virtual worlds pretending to kill people!

Sounds harsh, but think about the hours, days, weeks, months and years you have wasted staring at a screen so far?

Good luck with your "mission", but don't forget the "real" world too.

top topics

join