It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fires in South Florida.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I searched on the database and didn't see anyone report this. I also used the search engine and nothing, so here it is.

There was a huge brush fire this weekend, after it was contained in another region close to Miami another huge fire started. They are saying the cause is the dry weather, but I am not so sure. The smoke covered areas of Miami, Hialeah, Miami Lakes

A fast-moving brush fire near U.S. 27 and Krome Avenue scorched more than 2,500 acres in northwest Miami-Dade County on Friday, prompting emergency officials to evacuate residents of a nearby trailer park.

The fire, which began near a canal about 10:30 a.m., was fed by dry conditions and brisk winds. It consumed a huge area between Krome Avenue and Okeechobee Road and sent smoke billowing so high it could be seen from downtown Miami to northeast Miami-Dade and southern Broward County. Ash from the fire fell at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach.

Excerpt taken from.
www.sun-sentinel.com...

This is the info on the other fire.

Brush fire forces evacuations in Florida

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MIAMI (AP) - A brush fire lapped up against backyard fences in southwest Miami-Dade County on Sunday, damaging two houses and forcing firefighters to evacuate a neighborhood under a heavy cloud of smoke.
Authorities evacuated an area four blocks wide and five blocks long, said Vicki Burns, a spokeswoman for the county's fire-rescue agency.
Firefighters also were fighting larger wildfires scattered across Florida on Sunday. A 300-acre brush fire caused officials to close part of Interstate 95 near Jacksonville in northeast Florida, and officials said a 2,300-acre wildfire in central Florida was 60 percent contained.

In South Florida, a fire near the Everglades was 75 percent contained Sunday after consuming 3,300 acres. Firefighters expected to have it completely contained within a day.

Excertp taken from.
newsobserver.com...

Here is another source. It seems the two fires started one after the other, but they were in different areas.

Fire threatens homes in Miami-Dade County, evacuations ordered
Sunday, April 4
(Miami-AP) -- A brush fire is lapping up against backyard fences in southwest Miami-Dade County tonight, forcing the evacuation of a neighborhood under a heavy cloud of smoke.

Television footage showed the fire igniting fences and coming within several feet of a row of houses. Fire Rescue officials say electricity had been cut to the neighborhood.

A fire rescue spokeswoman says the blaze forced the evacuation of an area four streets wide and five avenues long. She doesn't know how many houses are in that area.

Meanwhile, a much larger fire on the edge of the Everglades is 75 percent contained today. That blaze has consumed 33-hundred acres and no longer threatens any homes or structures.

In Jacksonville, a 300 acre brush fire caused officials to close part of Interstate 95 in northeast Florida. Also, officials say a 23-hundred acre wildfire in central Florida is 60 percent contained and doesn't threaten any structures.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All right reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Excerpt taken from.
www.baynews9.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
looks like it'sofficially fire season...i didn't even know there was such a thing as fire season until last year's california fires. thankfully (for me) the smoke hasn't made it up to ft laud yet, so i can still enjoy the outdoors.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
We have had almost a half a dozen mysterious brush fires in the last few weeks. I live on the Treasure Coast.
The fires are quite large. I don't recall hearing anything about a drought condition. There has been high winds the last few weeks though and not much rain.

Links
20 Acre Brushfire

More fires

Even more fires

Related news

Another one in Hobe Sound

Brushfire in PSL

Talking about the likelyhood of more fires this year

Forecasters with the Florida Division of Forestry predict that Palm Beach County will see more brushfires and wildfires than normal this year. The normal number of brushfires ranges from about 300-400 per year, said Bob Rehr with the division.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't think these were because of any drought, and remember that we have had cold weather these past two weeks on and off. I think those fires were intentional. I am not sure if it could be simple vandals, or if it was terrorists.

new topics

top topics

join