It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kennedy Offers Hints of a Platform and a Few Surprises

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Kennedy Offers Hints of a Platform and a Few Surprises

www.nytimes.com

In most respects, Ms. Kennedy’s answers described views similar to those of other New York Democrats, including New York’s senior senator, Charles E. Schumer, and Mrs. Clinton. But she appears to support same-sex marriage, a significant difference between herself and Mrs. Clinton as well as president-elect Barack Obama, whose endorsement by Ms. Kennedy was a watershed event in the presidential race.

“Caroline supports full equality and marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples,” the statement said.

On social issues, Ms. Kennedy appears to oppose restrictions on abortion rights, including laws that would require young women to notify a parent before obtaining an abortion. But asked if she would support any state or federal restrictions on late-term abortions, Ms. Kennedy did not directly address issues like so-called partial birth abortion, instead simply offering an endorsement of the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision in 1973.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
In the snippet I quoted Caroline Kennedy's position on two specific issues--the article by no means contains a comprehensive detailing of all her views. Although it's often accused of being ultra-liberal, I think the NY Times is trying to be objective in its coverage of her campaign, even though Kennedy is extremely popular in that state. They seem to hedge on giving her an out-and-out endorsement, which in any case would be on its editorial page, not in the actual news report.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, Sestias.

Originally posted by Sestias

“Caroline supports full equality and marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples,” the statement said.

She's winning me over. I like what I've read about her and this is good news. This does a lot in the way of actually gaining my support.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
There was an article on her in the Daily KOS that seemed to indicate she's merely a "fair weather Democrat" who actually doesn't support the party or its members. I was fairly uncomfortable with what I read about her.
www.dailykos.com...

I am beginning to wonder if she just wants to run for the glamor of it.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Reply to Byrd:

Could you specify some of the things that make you uncomfortable? I ask this sincerely, not just looking for something to shoot down.

new topics

top topics

join