It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could SomeBody Explain This - Cigarette Smoke Rise With The AfterNoon Sunset Light.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I really hope this is the thread to post this in. So confussing in knowing what to post where on ATS-BTS. Anyway...

I am a smoker. Everytime when the afternoon sun light falls because of the sunsetting. I have noticed everytime the cigarette smoke does rise with(in) the sunlight direction. This could be a stupid thing to post, but it has been bugging me to knowing why it is happening. I really hope the other members can explain. Thanks For Viewing.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Ever notice that if you smoke outside when it is really cold your clothes reek much more than usual? I noticed it ages ago, but never knew why.

When it is cold the smoke doesn't rise, it stays around you. When its warm it does rise. I am guessing the sunlight effects the temperature and that is why the smoke moves towards it.

[edit on 21-12-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Ever notice that if you smoke outside when it is really cold your clothes reek much more than usual? I noticed it ages ago, but never knew why.

When it is cold the smoke doesn't rise, it stays around you. When its warm it does rise. I am guessing the sunlight effects the temperature and that is why the smoke moves towards it.

[edit on 21-12-2008 by Sonya610]

Thanks Sonya for posting. I could spend most of my life searching through Google to find the answer, but I would rather save the one or two hours and post on ATS.

It is Interesting the Information about the affects on sunlight, cold weather, rain and a sheet of a glass window. I guess in different situations it depends on how all of it affects the environment-nature, and the "laws" of the nature, the universe as of awhole. How well do the different types of a environment plays well in a event of life. Example, different planets with there laws on each of the planet's nature. And... the mysteries of space.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
...and, you know, wind and pressure and stuff...

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by gordonwest I guess in different situations it depends on how all of it affects the environment-nature, and the "laws" of the nature, the universe as of awhole. How well do the different types of a environment plays well in a event of life. Example, different planets with there laws on each of the planet's nature. And... the mysteries of space.

Well in this case I think it s the simple principle of "heat rising". If it is very cold, the smoke cools so fast it does not rise. A beam of sunlight is probably enough to create warmer air, which creates an updraft attracting the smoke.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by gordonwest I guess in different situations it depends on how all of it affects the environment-nature, and the "laws" of the nature, the universe as of awhole. How well do the different types of a environment plays well in a event of life. Example, different planets with there laws on each of the planet's nature. And... the mysteries of space.

Well in this case I think it s the simple principle of "heat rising". If it is very cold, the smoke cools so fast it does not rise. A beam of sunlight is probably enough to create warmer air, which creates an updraft attracting the smoke.

It would be the situation of (gravity), the law of the Universe that allows the sunlight "heat rising". So for the affects-principle for the sunlight to cause matter to move other matter (warm air) to interact with the subatomic particals to form the movement of the smoke rising. I could be wrong about all this, but it is just my understanding. *shrugs*

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I came across this book on electrostatics by A D Moore and he states
that dust clings to walls by electrostatics.

In one cubic centimeter of air there are 500 ions generated from
secondary cosmic rays.

He made several devices that built up 20,000 volts but still of
low power and harmless.

The Kelvin device has water dripping into two cups and because
at the start one cup had slightly more charge than the other,
the build up continues with each drop.

Go figure.

So think of your smoke as being electrically sensitive and see what
you can come up with.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

If I had to guess I'd say it has to do with sun heating up the particles. The sun heats the particles on one side, which in turn heats the surrounding air. This also means the unheated side will remain with the lower density because it is not being heated. The side of the particle closer to the sun will therefore have a lower air pressure. Particles tend to float from higher pressure to lower pressure areas. Its just the principle of buoyancy.

[edit on 21-12-2008 by truthquest]

top topics

join