It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bailiffs get power to use force on debtors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hi,

I think this needs airing, as it is a step towards undermining the last vestiges of stability for a crumbling society. Here's the link...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

I am staggered by the stupidity of this proposed legislation, it is tantamount to legalizing 'mafia' methods to extract money. It will bear serious consequences for both the bailiff and the debtor.

Bailiffs already use questionable methods of intimidation and menace to get money from a debtor, and what with the current climate of economic contraction, job losses, pensions losses, credit withdrawl, the bailiff industry is going to get busy!

Yes, debt should be paid, but at a reasonable and consultated amount. If the bailiffs get physical, you can bet the debtor will do so also. The debtor will prepare and arm themselves, and I can see fatalities on both sides occurring.

If these are the government's intentions, then I think it is time (in fact it has been and gone) to treat them as a enemy. One thing is for sure, if I were to come home and find anyone in my apartment, either he or I are leaving in a box...period!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
S&F

As someone who quite often finds himself arguing with companies over money owed (which always gets paid eventually) I think that this is a disgrace.

Someone wants to use force to take my property? Let's see them try.

So, what happens if a bailiff is restraining someone who then feels threatened due a bailiff being somewhat 'over eager' in their restraint and decides to fight back in self defence?

This is going to cause mayhem.

Let's be honest - all this is doing is giving paid thugs the right to assault people during what is already a severly traumatic time for them.

I can't believe this is even being considered.

The government once again needs to hang its head in shame.

While Multinationals get bailed out left, right and centre the man on the street is being downtrodden and belittled even more.

Priorities, anyone?

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I get the feeling that if this passed there will end up being a bunch of dead bailiffs lying around after being mistaken for burglars.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
S&F

So this is what happens when government no longer fears the people.

The revolution starts soon. I'd hoped after Christmas and the New Year but it looks like the gov is forcing the issue. Riots in Greece, we'll have them here too, I'm certain. The moment a bailiff uses force whilst in the wrong area, neighbors and thugs will gladly kick-in that bailiff - some to defend the debtor and others to get one over "the man."

I'll defend my neighbors, whether I like them or not.

Understandably, debtors should pay their creditors but they must be given time; and where a person stands his ground against an arbitrary fine or tax then that person should be allowed to stand his ground until that fine or tax can be justified by the people without duress from government.

The government, which wants to crack down on people who evade debts, says the new powers would be overseen by a robust industry watchdog.

continues...

Lord Bach, a junior justice minister, has assured the House of Lords that any new powers will be implemented only after a consultation and will not be used to search debtors’ pockets or to remove jewellery.

TimesOnline.co.uk

It will be regulated and implemented just as well as banks and wheel clampers have been regulated and allowed to get along with business.

What makes it worse is that the gov is preparing to offer people social security loans with interest rates running upto 27% - public money, loaned back to the tax-payer for an extreme rate of return. At what interest rate did we bail out the banks?

Do you think this new law has anything to do with the gov's new loan-shark business?

Sickening. When labour is re-elected (I'm sure they will be), I will spit at the floor just as I leave Britain.

[edit on 21/12/08 by Rapacity]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Came back to add:

Maybe we should all learn to use hypnosis:

The Hypnotic Handshake

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
This is outrageous, imo. What do the do with the confiscated property - auction it off?

Imagine if you had paid 90% of the purchase price already...do they only take 10%?

You folks need to get rid of the politicians that proposed this!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The Uk is becoming what America is becoming today, you let the country fall into the hands of greedy corporate run politicians, allow corporate to take over government and the laws that are passed are for the benefit of those that write them, just like here in our great America.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Yeah, um, good luck to the bailiffs - they're gonna need it!

I expect the same to be implemented soon here in America. The difference being that we have guns here. Look for things to get bloody. This will probably be the event that starts the next revolution.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
You should have listened to TalkSport in the early hours of this morning (01:00 to 06:00). This was being discussed. Most callers who mentioned it threatened violence against bailiffs whom try force.

We must support and defend each other now more than ever. Whether we like each other or not.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
That's why I don't even dare go into my overdraft.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
How about people\debtors use the god-given power of free will to confiscate the Government and stop all this maddness?

Seriously.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
what next for merry old england they gonna bring back debtors prison? seriou8sly this is insane her majesty might need to get off her bum and take power back for the crown because if she lets parliment do this then the british people might decide all there taxes they paid in are debts she owes and throw her and her kin out on there collective bums.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I thought that a huge reason for the financial collapse was that too many people didn't pay back banks the money they were foolishly counting on? wouldn't this legislation directly address that? From my limited knowledge it would make these "pools of bought loans" "less toxic". Wow. It happens every time. There is ALWAYS a "viable" explanation for everything they do. So okay, now we know the force fed, or secondary reason they're doing this. It happens every time. I feel like a friggin' prophet nowadays when i hear something is to be used for something, I know it'll be used for something else. It all started when I heard "we are going in because we know they have wmd's..". that's just one other example. This legislation just reaks of the exact same thing.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

The government ought to be careful making statements like that - they will have an influx of bankkruptcy's - the bailiffs of theses private companies cannot touch them then.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
"Bailiffs get power to use force on debtors"

That is a good thing for those Bailiffs that the British people have been disarmed.

The fact that they have been so effectively cowed into submitting to a police state will only make things Safer for the Bailiffs.

I'm glad that the Bailiffs in Britain don't have to worry about getting their faces blown off like they would in the USA.

In America, A Man's home is still his Castle. Are you glad of that?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
There will be little to no resistance to anything here in the UK, which is why we have all the trappings of a police/nanny state. Everyone I try to educate to how things really are either look at me as if I'm speaking a foreign language or agree but then ask me will I vote out the current Labour gov. in favour of either Conservative or Liberal. Its at that point that I know they don't actually understand what is really going on and I just leave them to their ignorant apathy. Actually there are lots of UK posters on here who still debate the merits of one party over another (much like the sheeple in the US who think that Obama is not part of the NWO plan). Its painful to see this level of ignorance or denial when they try to tell you there isn't another way?

Only one type of vote will change anything – NONE OF THE ABOVE!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Theyd better hope they get my weapon first if they come to my house.

We may not have guns, but we have swords, knives, gold clubs, glass, cans of deoderant, and most streets will have someone with an illegal weapon. Even if it is something as simple as some knuckle dusters, we arn't as unarmed as the government likes to think.

Most Baliffs show up with no uniform, my excuse for anything done to them is that they appeared and acted like burglers.

Gang culture is rife here, baliffs attack one person on a street and you may well come out to find 30 people standing there to greet you. Their methods are questionable as it is, this is steepping over the line.

new topics

top topics

join