It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water storage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
We've picked up some used 55 gallon food-grade drums for water storage. We washed them out thoroughly, filled them full of water and charged them heavily with clorax. We'll empty them in a few days and refill them for long-term storage.

According to www.chefnoah.com... (seems like a great site BTW), looks like we need about 3/4 fluid ounce of regular clorax per 55 gallon drum for disinfection. Should we add even more clorax for long-term storage?

How often should we inspect and/or retreat these barrels?? Any pointers sure appreciated......

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I store 4 of the 55 gallon food grade barrels at my house. I change out the water every 6th months. I do have bleach and iodine but my plan for the water is to draw it through a filter before use. I took the water out of one barrel after a year with no bleach and it was okay. AT least no algie etc. If you fill it up and seal it it tends to last a lot longer.

The filters are a bit expensive, but it makes getting too the water easier and allows us to have a portable fitration system in the event we have to move.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I would go a different route, and stock up on the PUR packets.

Popular Mechanics honored the guy who invented it.

It seems like a better way to go, as it's portable and can produce more water (imagine having a 55-gallon drum of the stuff) than you can with storing the water directly.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Why do you all store water when you can buy it everyday at the grocery store......

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
I would go a different route, and stock up on the PUR packets.

Popular Mechanics honored the guy who invented it.

If it were anyone but Popular Mechanics recommending it, I'd actually look at it. I've got no use whatsoever for this rag -- or any product they recommend.

BTW, we've got a Katadyn Pocket filter for emergency use, but I'd prefer to use it as a last line of defence.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Defence from what.......?

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
if your using clorine treatment replace the water every six months. switch to using aerobic oxygen and your water will last 12 months, it not only treats the water but over oxygenates the container preventing the growth of well anything, it's great stuff. the key to clorine is to check it every three months and smell it, if it still has the aroma of bleach it's good, when the smell fades, replace or retreat. but even then, it must be replaced every six months or you get sick

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moose Head
Why do you all store water when you can buy it everyday at the grocery store......

For sure you can buy it now, however, the assumption in this forum is that most of us are storing an emergency supply in the event of a natural disaster etc. For my location its earthquake.

In that scenario or say a katrina, your ability to attain potable water will be difficult at best. Keeping a supply AND the ability to purify water you find is critical.

Nothing will kill you quicker than lack of drinkable water.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentBlack
if your using clorine treatment replace the water every six months. switch to using aerobic oxygen and your water will last 12 months, it not only treats the water but over oxygenates the container preventing the growth of well anything, it's great stuff. the key to clorine is to check it every three months and smell it, if it still has the aroma of bleach it's good, when the smell fades, replace or retreat. but even then, it must be replaced every six months or you get sick

Where can I find the best value for stabilized oxygen? I'm seeing pretty wide price differences......

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Moose Head

For sure you can buy it now, however, the assumption in this forum is that most of us are storing an emergency supply in the event of a natural disaster etc. For my location its earthquake.

In that scenario or say a katrina, your ability to attain potable water will be difficult at best. Keeping a supply AND the ability to purify water you find is critical.

Nothing will kill you quicker than lack of drinkable water.

Why dont you just accept death....?...trust me its better on the other side...

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
it's not about cheap, there all pretty cheap. you want quality, not the diet suppliment crap but strong stuff made for water storage.

www.healthmart2000.com...

this looks like a good one and at 17$ a bottle (which treats a 50gal drum) not to pricey.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
www.avonsoft.com...

If the water supplies are for your home, retreat or bug out vehicles why not consider one of the filter on the link above

top topics

join