It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy gets 8 more Virginia class submarines!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I like the old names. Naming the boats is political now.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Progress

How many ships have been sunk by US subs since ww2?

So that is your measure of the effectiveness of a submarine fleet? 24/7 365 days a year the UK has at least one Trident submarine on deterrent patrol - I would imagine the US due to its comparative size can make that into double figures. Deterrent patrol is what allows you to sleep soundly at night - it's not about tonnage sunk as it was in WWII.

So in answer to your question which I believe was rhetorical anyway - how many clandestine operations have SSN's conducted since WWII?

We need good boats. Once the world catches up and have submarines at least as good as our old US LA or UK T Class boats that's when carriers and other skimmers become obsolete.

The more our Governments invest in submarine technology and less on advancing our surface fleet the better. As technology advanced after WWII, gone are the fearsome Battleships. Destroyers, Frigates and flattops will swiftly follow.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Good news for the U.S. of A. Bad news for the rest of you.

Just trying to play catch up with the Chinese - funny that now you havent got and y money and they wont lend you any more, and they have the manufacturing power to outstrip you guys ten times over you still seem to bleat on like your some sort of power house -
America are has beens - finished.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

and they have the manufacturing power to outstrip you guys ten times over

That's because they utilise slave labour. I'm not from the US but I think your comments are ill-informed. China may be able to manufacture products on a mass scale and much cheaper as in children's toys, consumer electronics etc. but advanced military technology isn't really their forte is it?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by vonspurter

economic stability enables advancement of military sphere ... US economy is tethering the brink of collapse , so whats your point ??

[edit on 13-1-2009 by sadchild01]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sadchild01

The US economy is nowhere near the brink of collapse and nor will it be! The entire world is experiencing an economic downturn even China (where do they get their orders from!)

If you want to discuss this put it into a thread on the political forum - it doesn't belong here. ENDEX.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
This is a complete waste of money for the US, what it needs is internal external stability not billions wasted just to line the pockets of the dealers of death and destruction. The same goes for the UK and all the other idiots who think wasting trillions on weapons and warfare is more conductive to our well being than spending the money on our development and advancement.

When are we going to stop wasting money and lives and stast spending it on improving ourselves?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

I know exactly what you mean magicmushroom. These are political whoredom, programs by the body politic. Which whoredom do you prefer. The program which helps intelligence gathering for the defense of the nation... and creates jobs and also votes......or the whoredom program which claims the moral high ground by give away social programs for votes. They are both whoredom programs. Which social program do you think has he higher moral social high ground?? Which programs do you think are more entitled off the government breast?? YOu know what I mean...like New Orleans!!

Orangetom

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
with all the economical crap going on you would think the pricetag for 8 new subs would be breaking news...I say bad news for the people of the U.S. of A.

A sub cant stop a concealed bomb in a container or terrorists hiking over a border. So what is a sub for the offensive right, oh yeah thats what DB thrives on.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Didn't Russia produce a bunch of military craft and supplies before it's fall?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mailman
with all the economical crap going on you would think the pricetag for 8 new subs would be breaking news...I say bad news for the people of the U.S. of A.

A sub cant stop a concealed bomb in a container or terrorists hiking over a border. So what is a sub for the offensive right, oh yeah thats what DB thrives on.

What submarines do alot of is collect informations...intelligence gathering/mining. What is often never told to the general public is that submarines can collect certain intelligence informations of which satellites cannot. Submarines fill a vital gap in this intelligence gathering arena.

The other arena in which submarines are more continually tasked is to deliver and recover special teams. They are even being decked out with the ability to transport special equipment for these teams who are also often in the intelligence gathering buisness as well as other specific buisnesses. These too are arenas outside the capabilities of satellites.
Submarines can also, of course, fulfill the traditional roles of U Boats.

It is obvious that these abilities are worth the price to someone out here who is also in this buisness.

What submarines can do is help with the gathering if informations as to someone trying to break or violate our national security policies.

However..for most of the World and Amereican public brought up on a diet of television and movie education..ie ...drama...they have no reason to think this is even going on out here. Most of them would never see a reason for such a budget.

Oh..by the way...you never even see the figures for costs on the latest spy satellite...why is this?? Think about it!!! Satellites too are not cheap.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 18-1-2009 by orangetom1999]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join