It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy gets 8 more Virginia class submarines!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
www.defensenews.com...

U.S submariners and their shipbuilders could get an early Christmas present Monday, when the U.S. Navy is expected to announce the award of $14 billion in construction contracts.

The new submarines are the next eight ships of the SSN 774 Virginia class of nuclear attack subs.

General Dynamics Electric Boat is the prime contractor for the Virginia-class program, with construction split equally between Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding's Newport News, Va., shipyard and GD's facilities at Quonset Point, R.I., and Groton, Conn.

The new submarines collectively are referred to as Block III. Funding for the first of the Block III boats, the North Dakota (SSN 784), was included in the 2009 defense budget. The Navy plans to ask for one more submarine in 2010 and two subs in 2011, 2012 and 2013 to complete the new group

Awesome. Great news for the Navy. Since the submarine force are quickly decommissioning the old boats, the inclusion of the newer boats will help maintain a submarine force to meet their needs to maintain peace and prepare for any possible conflict in the future.

And for Orangetom, we can say for sure his job is very secure for many years to come.
If hes working on this type of boat.

[edit on 20-12-2008 by deltaboy]

[edit on 20-12-2008 by deltaboy]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Awesome. Great news for the Navy.

... and bad news for the human kind.

USS Sheeps... Dont they ever learn?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Good news for the U.S. of A. Bad news for the rest of you.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Yeah, you're right. Let's just all give up our guns and go back to killing each other with sticks and rocks. Oh wait! We'll just magically get along once we give up guns right?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Well boys, there's two kinds:

Those that can.

Those who can't.

Those who can't, oddly, benefit indirectly from those of us who can.

When I'm driving, I ignore the kid in the back telling me where to go, how fast, and how it should be done.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

more good news
..... seems the US elite is deliberately bankrupting USA , and sooner or later USA and its advanced weapons will be on a firescale for chinese to purchase

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Have you seen the updates to the bow for the Block III's? Those are going to be some fine boats!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Yeah, you're right. Let's just all give up our guns and go back to killing each other with sticks and rocks. Oh wait! We'll just magically get along once we give up guns right?

Well I'm not sure what exact weapons world war 3 will be fought with... But keep hold of your sticks and stones for world war 4... They will come in handy

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yep, and you posted about such technology being used for the Block IIIs.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
more good news
..... seems the US elite is deliberately bankrupting USA , and sooner or later USA and its advanced weapons will be on a firescale for chinese to purchase

Nuclear submarines are key to maintaining US corporate/military dominance.

Submarines are the tip of the spear, eyes and ears of nation states. Nuclear subs are the ultimate weapons and surveillance platform. All world powers aspire to operate them. I just heard on the radio Brazil has made arrangements to acquire nuclear submarine tech from France. Aside from espionage or intelligence gathering, I guarantee China will never legitimately acquire Virgina SSN technology.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Quote from Albert Einstein, nice hahah.

But what Zaphod says is true, if we don't do it, someone else will, and most likely against us.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I dont care what it takes...As long as America is safe. If that means new subs, by all means do it. Does anyone know what kind of advantages these subs have over similar subs of other countries(ie. Russia/China)?
:

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Yes great news indeed, when thousands are losing their homes people cheer about more money being spent on the military. By the time the perps have finished with America thats all that will be left the military.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Does that post really belong in this forum?

Is there something about the title "Weaponry Forum" That says "Come here and complain about defense spending".

I have seen so many of those kinds of posts here in this forum, I'm beginning to believe people are getting confused as to what is actually being discussed here.

Great Submarines, glad to see more being procured. We need to keep our submarine fleet up to par with modern standards, gotta stay ahead of the loop.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
How many ships have been sunk by US subs since ww2?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Deltaboy,
I am coming late to this thread. Yes I know about the funding of these boats and the new block III changes.

Dont I wish I was working back on the Virginia Class boats!! I can only go there on occasion for overtime on weekends. They have me working on Aircraft Carriers. Not my cup of tea but it is a paycheck.

I sure miss submarine work. It was more difficult and demanding in some areas due to the proximity of the work..the ability to work in confined spaces.

Oh..by the way...the post Oxilliini made some time back about the Block III mods...I walked through the facilities one night and there they were ...just as he had posted them on a big bulletin board on the wall. Put a big grin on my face to see the board so posted..just as he had stated!!

Magicmushroom,
Don't worry. After January 20 we will be going back to alot more of social spending. We have to buy up more votes through social give away programs.

Any of you guys heard that there is a big push to train corpsmen/medics...lots of corpsmen???

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 26-12-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
re how many ships have US subs sank since WWII? Dominance means that you dont have to sink due to deterrence. When you are creaping up and getting froggy, seeing a laser light on your chest (or getting a ping through your hull) stops you in your tracks. Dominance saves lives.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Regarding missing submarine work versus carrier work. I felt the same way. If I had two procedures to go check on, one on a CVN and one on an SSN, I'd go to the SSN first every time. SSBN's and SSGN's were somewhere in the middle. Everything just runs tighter/more smoothly on subs. Fewer people + higher risk, I guess.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yes, you anti-military doves that object to some military deals being pushed out in a hurry right now, need not worry! We won't have a new military expenditures for the foreseeable future under Obama... not in the USA anyway. BUT China, Russia, Iran and Venezuela sure will!

Of you've all heard of Russia selling our neighbors to the south, Venzuela (4) Kilo-class Project 636 diesels right?

All that I know is that I know nothing -Socrates

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Pity they can't go back to using WWII style names.

I mean USS North Dakota doesn't quite have the same zing as USS Swordfish.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join