It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Two Line Rule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Just to be clear, I don't expect any rules to be changed. But, does anyone else think that when people put another line to a post, just for the sake of putting another line, that it takes away from the flow of the thread?

For example when people just put "not a two line post" or "here's my second line to this post" etc, under their real post, I don't know. It just doesn't add anything to the thread. I think it would be better if they just left it one line. That's assuming, of course, that their one line is pertinent to the thread.

What does everyone else think?

PS. Who is going to be the first one to post something like this:

Yes, I agree.
(This is not a two line post in accordance with ATS Rules...)

[edit on 20-12-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It really doesn't do any good to add the "this is not a one liner" to your post if it is. I read a thread around here somewhere where one of the mods said something along the lines that if what you post is relevant they sometimes let it slide if it's only one line and adding a second line saying it's not a one line post doesn't make it a two line post. Can't remember what thread that was though, I just remember it was an older thread.

I generally try to come up with something else that pertains to the thread if I only have a one line response. Of course I tend to ramble, kinda like now, so that doesn't come up very often for me.

Some of those second lines people come up with are pretty creative, but yeah it can take away from the thread a bit at times.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
As long as a single line contributes to the thread in a significant way, I have no problem with people not bothering with some junk "extra" line to conform to the rules.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I agree with everything said so far......................................................................end of post

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Actually if there was no second line rule posts like "Yes" "No" and such
will be much more wide spread. To write second line for legality is an effort that such a .. hmmm, laconic individuals sometimes lack.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
A "one line" post warning is not based on a character count or sentence line count. A "One Liner" is something that doesn't add to the conversation like the following 3 examples:

Yeah, lol

I agree

So the whole "this is not a one line post" thing is based on not properly understanding the rules and accomplishes nothing.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Don't worry if the one line post adds nothing to the thread even with the added second line of "this is not a one line post" will get dinged 20 points anyway.

If it's a one line post that adds to the discussion then there is no penalty but we do like to see more.

One Line Post

ABOUT ATS: Warnings for one-line or short responses.

One Line or less Responses or "me too" atta-boy comments contribute nothing to the discussion. These include rows of smilies, "you're wrong", or other similar short responses.

Each mod has the ability to apply nominal points warnings (20 points) for both of these minor board infractions.

edit
meanwhile back at the ranch I'm making this post and there are four reply's,

[edit on 20/12/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There is no set "limit" of words it takes for someone to express their opinion.
I don't think there should be a 2 line rule, I think there should probably just be a simple "NO yes or no" rule.

Some people are good at summing up what they have to say quickly and effectively.

Besides, reading a post that almost takes up the character limit is annoying.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a "1-line" post that contributes to the thread.

As stated above the rule was put in place to avoid "drive by" postings of "lol" or "yeah" etc.

It really isn't meant literally. If your post contributes to the topic and is only one line you don't have to write "this isn't a one line post."

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a "1-line" post that contributes to the thread.

As stated above the rule was put in place to avoid "drive by" postings of "lol" or "yeah" etc.

It really isn't meant literally. If your post contributes to the topic and is only one line you don't have to write "this isn't a one line post."

I think that'll be a hard habit to kick, especially for some.
Not a one liner. ;]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Really glad this thread got started. I really appreciate it when someone can state their point succinctly. Sometimes only a few words go a long way.
On the other hand, I hate it when people ramble on, and on, and on, and on.
I don't particularly agree with punishing people for their style or personality, but if there's going to be a rule for too little, maybe there should also be one for "too much".
Nah, forget it. Maybe just rename your rule so its clearer that a "yah" or "Nope" is not enough. If all you are going to do is agree, then a star should do.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
i suggest a BIGGER penalty for " padding " a 1 line post that contributes nothing .

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
A true "one-liner" is a post that would mean essentially the same thing if you had never posted it.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
What I like to do, if my one sentence isn't long enough,
is hit a (return) in there to split the line.

I think that the main problem is a lot of people are not clear on the rule and think that a second line is mandatory.

[edit on 21-12-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This:

Yes, I agree.
(This is not a two line post in accordance with ATS Rules...)

...is actually a one-liner. It doesn't matter whether there are "two lines" or not. It's technically a "one-liner".

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is also a 'one liner'...

I disagree.

Yes I do.

I disagree.

Yup.

Totally disagree.

Uh-huh, uh-huh.

What isn't is this:

I disagree because (enter reasoning here)

[edit on 21/12/08 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Sometimes when you try to post a one-liner, the forum software won't let you – that's when I've sometimes added something like "this is line two" although usually I just hit return and use the most relevant smiley for the second line.

I like the suggestion of hitting return in the middle of the line to make it two lines too – that would get past the automatic rejection without being a distraction.

Mostly, though, I just ignore the "second line" lines unless they're especially creative

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I disagree with the one line rule anyway. Sometimes, a point doesn't need to be made with "diarrhea of the mouth" (or rather the fingers, but you get the point). If you can be concise and efficient in presenting your point or your opinion in one line, where is the need to add filler words/sentences/paragraphs? Hint: There is no need.

[edit on 12/21/2008 by prototism]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by prototism

I think that's what the mods in this thread have been saying: that the "one-line" rule isn't against single-line posting but against contentless posting.

So adding a second line doesn't mean you're free from getting slapped on the wrist by a moderator if there's no content in your post, but if there is content in your post, you won't get the slap even if it's only one line.

In other words: adding a nonsense line to a worthwhile post is okay because it gets you past the automatic refusal screen; adding a nonsense line to a nonsense line is still only one line (eg: "Your wrong. This is line 2." is not okay. But saying "42 is the answer. This is line 2." would be okay, assuming that 42 was important to the thread).

I think most of the complaints about the two-line rule come about because it's a really subjective rule but the first line of defense against it has no judgement.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings
Besides, reading a post that almost takes up the character limit is annoying.

I agree wholeheartedly with this one line. Some just like to go on and on and after reading a paragraph or two it gets redundant and boring.

That isn't true of all long posts of course but the majority seem to like to "hear themselves talk"

top topics

join