It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are So Many People Against Gay's

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
People fear things that know very little about.

This goes not only for gays but other races, religions, political affiliations, regions of the world, and even neighborhood blocks. Just look at the recent threads here on ATS. I wonder if this has been snowballing because of the landmark election of Obama but it seemed inevitable that people would be talking about issues they normally avoided in a very stark way. My stepfathers lawyer...a very educated woman, said to us that Obama is a terrorist Muslim. It was a bit surprising but she actual believed this. Some things I have heard recently have really shocked me...but I am glad we are talking about them.

In essence we are split on every level down to the simplest of things and we generalize because it keeps us in our comfort zone.

You are correct there is much anti-gay sentiment and it isn't simply based on religious purposes as some have said. People that are loosely "Christian" (meaning they flagrantly violate other commandments/laws as they see fit) some how draw the line in the sand with homosexuality. As I said it is because people have a narrow view of what a homosexual is.

What the late Harvey Milk attempted to do in the 70's through his organization and empowerment of homosexuals for example was to have all gays come out. Remove the stigma and fear that had most gays acting out in self destructive ways (random shady sexual rendezvous) or pushing them to the brink of suicide and beyond.

He asked that they all come out. In doing so the public which held a stereotypical caricaturization of homosexuals would be confronted with the true reality. That homosexuals are your family, they are your friends, they are your coworkers, your bosses, and even your icons.

They are essentially you.
If you identify with someone it is impossible to hate them without hating yourself.

Watch the documentary "Protagonist".

Aside from it being an amazing introspective into the lives of a German terrorist, a bank robber, and a martial artist, it also deals with the story of an "ex-gay" evangelist. His story of a cathartic journey through religion and homosexuality is breathtaking.

- Lee

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti - Government

This seems straight forward if you believe we are all inhabited by souls or higher selves. It would be "wrong" to be in a homosexual relationship that did not produce a new person for these souls or HS's to inhabit. If one follows that course of thought this would have been a bigger issue when many of the world's religions were founded and the population was lower and less of an issue today, which could perhaps explain why we are becoming more tolerant.

PM

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Many people are against gay's because of the Bible.

81% of American adults identify themselves with a specific religion: 76.5% (159 million) of Americans identify themselves as Christian.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Primordal
This seems straight forward if you believe we are all inhabited by souls or higher selves. It would be "wrong" to be in a homosexual relationship that did not produce a new person for these souls or HS's to inhabit. If one follows that course of thought this would have been a bigger issue when many of the world's religions were founded and the population was lower and less of an issue today, which could perhaps explain why we are becoming more tolerant.

Oh... and they sometimes talk funny too...

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Many homosexuals want to normalize their lifestyle in society and will use political lobbies, judges, and any tool available to "FORCE" the rest of us to accept this behavior as a "special exceptions" group. I don't see anything about tolerance in this movement, I see "You will give us full endorsement-or else"!

You have no choice. Accept homosexuality, or be labeled a homophobic, small-minded hate-monger. If you do not fully endorse gay marriage and homosexual behavior, you will be told to keep your opinion to yourself (or worse).

And the rest of us are getting pretty sick of it.

Your behavior is not my business if it doesn't hurt me. Just stop trying to make everyone else agree with your position by force and stop trying to indoctrinate my children into acceptance of your lifestyle decision.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Wow, you said it great.
Star

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Yes...people shouldn't force their views on others.

Iraq...Afghanistan...war on Communism...Against paedophiles...Against murderers... need I continue. All forcing views on other people... Some accepted some arn't, but we shall use the paedophile example.

I am not sticking up for them, it just works very nicely here. A paedohpile rapes a friends child, he is then caught and put in jail. You are happy that justice is done (Unless you think he should be executed). However in his mind he did nothing wrong... people have forced their views upon him and imprisoned him.

So yes, perhaps homosexuals are focing their beliefs onto other people, but so are the rest of us so do ask them to stop.

To whoever said something similar to 'over the top gays', those who are very overtly gay in the way they act and talk...I counter you with overly macho and straight men. This is not something restricted to homosexuals.

The parades...once they are equal should indeed stop. But until they are treated equally everywhere in the country I see no reason why they shouldn't continue to spread their message.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I can not really believe you do not understand why so many people are against Gays. Fact # -1 have you really stopped and vividly thought about how gay men make love to eachother........Picture it in your mine......Do you like what you see and do you still not have a problem with what you see..?
Fact#-2
Same with Gay females.....Maybe you are so naive you do not know how gays make love to eachother..This is not a minor part of their lives, it is a major part of their lives and it digusts the average man and women to think that someone could support this form of companionship where this type of action is commited on a regular basis.

God put man and women on this earth to procreate. It is true not all men and women who are married procreate but that is their choise at least they are capable of it.

Fact #-3 Do you have any idea how many laws would have to change to accommodate a minority few of less than 3.5% of the U.S.Population and the repercussions that extend to Doctors and priests and other professional who refuse to treat or assist Gays? Tolerance, or the lace thereof, hate, retribution and all the anti establihment words shouted at the anti-gay movement people.............It appears to me and to everyone eles appearently. that it is the Gays that are hitting out that are not being tolerent....Can you tell me again why 96.5% of the people must change their way to accept this style of life?........and don't give this crap about it being against the California constitution, The people of California voted against this issue many years ago and a few Judges decided on their own to change that majority vote without any good reason or reguard for the majority of people and their feelings. SO ....There Ya -Ta -Hey

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
You can't turn on the TV, read a magazine, or view a mainstream website without being bombarded with "gay culture." These uber-feme, flamboyant, narcissistic, walking stereotypes on shows like Will & Grace are everywhere in the media. These characters cannot possibly represent the average gay man, can they? The few I've known wore regular clothes and didn't talk about their gayness 24/7.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I am not against gay people.
I am however against how they behave.

The way they talk, the way they move, the way they do with their hand, the way they dress, it just gives me te creeps. I just dont like it. Hetero people act normal to so why do gay people behave like complete morons.

It really is their own fault people dont like them.
Of course you have gay people who act normal. I have absolutely no problem with them. Its just the ones that are the stereo-type gay.

They have all those little things invented to show others they are gay and then complain about people not liking them. IT IS NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE GAY< IT IS BECAUSE THE WAY YOU SHOW EVERYONE!

Just act normal, hetero people can too.

By the way, i am from Amsterdam, Gay capitol of the world. Holland is very tolerate against gay man.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Lets see...I like Elton John's and Freddy Mercury's Music,

I don't particularly like Barney Frank or Richard Simmons.

Lesbians, ...I converted one once, and a girl I grew up near is super-gay. Haven't seen her for years, but she taught me my first three chords on guitar, and is very decent person. I also have a gay business associate, but nothing is out of the ordinary regarding behavior.

I don't hold anything against gays, as long as they don't hold anything against me, (literally).

As long as people act appropriately in public, I judge not, lest I be judged.

Hate is a self destructive emotion. I succumbed to it once, and never again. When absorbed in hate, you can never be truly free.

[edit on 20-12-2008 by imd12c4funn]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Ridicule of . . .

I guess all but satan . . .

is likely immature, at best.

On the other hand . . . with different fingers . . .

Folks going deliberately . . . and increasingly shrilly--in-your-face-ly

VERY BRAZENLY AGAINST THE TIDE

ought not be overly surprised when more conventional folks feel uncomfortable to outrage at the behavior and values of the 'birds of very odd plumage.'

And . . . then . . . there's this . . .

1. There's a LOT of deliberate political lies in behalf of homosexuality that's just rubbish--inaccurate, untrue, lies.

2. Homosexuals live an average of 20 years FEWER YEARS than heterosexuals.

3. Homosexuals WHO DO MARRY typically--by the VAST MAJORITY--typically do NOT stay married more than a year or 3 or so. So what's all the noise about if it's so little cherished and respected as to last such a short time by what--98% or so? of those who do marry?

4. Indoctrination, influence toward homosexuality etc. of youth and adopted male CHILDREN of homosexuals is now statistically demonstrated in solid researc by non-homosexuals and some by homosexuals who cooked the books to hide the facts in their own research.

5. Some of us have an aversion to fire and brimstone falling from heaven.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Because gays is only one letter away from the grays!

Yep...that unconscious association can't help.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I'll be honest with you. I've considered whether it would be possible for me to have sex with a man, just to experiment. I couldn't come to be comfortable with it myself... but I've thought about it. I'm also uncomfortable with bondange or most fetishes, but people have them. The girl I see likes bondange, but I can't do that. It's cool though. She's cool.

The "gay" hating has got to stop. They are people like you. They are probably much more numerous than you realize. I've discovered that many of my own friends have engaged in sexual acts with other men, and dude it's cool man. Whatever you wanna do as long as it's not hurting anyone.

I mean, I'm happy that there are so many men who like men. More chicks for us who like chicks... AND less children being born, which means a lower population. Imagine if the most likely billions of homosexual people in the world all suddenly became straight. How much more of a population problem would we have?

So... it's pure ignorance and fear to dislike or hate or feel weird towards men who like sex with men. Would you not listen to a David Bowie album just because he's had sex with men?

Well I think the way most of you act is weird. I think society is tumbling backwards and progress is just an illusion in today's world. There's no progress, and people are becoming more and more hate filled towards others just because they aren't the same.... and it's #ing stupid.

Grow up, humans.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I don't like gays cuz you shouldn't get poopoo on yer peepee.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s

Society has actually become more tolerant of gays than it was when I was growing up.
Im not gay, i dont hate gays but they live a different lifestyle than I do so I dont associate with gays.
The word "hate" is thrown around way to much.
Just because a person doesnt agree with a particular lifestyle or what god they worship or what they do on the weekends, it doesnt necessarily mean they hate them, even if theyre outspoken about it.

Kr0n0s:

I completely agree with your comments.

That said, the only time I get uptight with gays is when they become activist and try and push their agenda in my face, or tell my children's school what they should teach about gays.

Gays should just do their thing like I do, but if their activists get in my or my children's face, it would only be normal to expect a reaction.

As I see it right now, the biggest and only real problem the gays have right now is reining in their radical activists as they paint them all in a highly questionable manner.

JK

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It's not that people are so much against gays. Gays are assaulting traditional values. I'm for allowing civil unions between gays with all the legal benefits of marriage, but calling it marriage is going too far.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I dont think there are more people against gays then people who are just indifferent.

it just seems as if a news reporter asks a person, do you have an opinion on gays and they get the normal "nope, they can do as they please, doesnt hurt me any" its not much of story, but if they get a group of people saying " I hate gays, rawr rawr rawr" its much more entertaining and emotion provoking so thats what tends to be seen everywhere...

just imo that is

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
how would you like it if all your friends started acting gay and doing gay things? its not cool.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I think that a great deal of the people who disapprove of gay marriage and the “gay agenda” are not solely turned off (pardon the expression) by homosexuality itself. True there are some religious individuals who feel that the lifestyle is immoral on some level. These people will be set in their ways because the last thing you want to do is stand between a man and his creator. What I am talking about are the indifferent or moderate stances on the matter. This leads into my first point.

People oppose gays (at least the overtly-activist types) because they bring sexuality out of the shadows and into the light. I would bet that those who oppose over the top gay pride parades would be just as disgusted with a show of decadent heterosexuality. People these days just don't want to know what you and yours do inside the bedroom.

I myself don't care how anyone else chooses to go about their business, but this is based on the condition that all parties involved are consenting adults.

On teaching homosexuality to kids in school: I don't think schools should really be involved with telling kids about sex in the first place. When I was in high school (not too long ago) the sexual education curriculum was a sterile and uncomfortable experience that dehumanized the entire act of sexual intercourse.

On gay marriage: I think it was a dumb idea to mix a state institution with a traditionally religious ceremony. At this point in time I don't see the need to change anything regarding the definition of marriage. What could change would be to have equal rights under the law between marriages and civil unions.

If pressed I would get rid of “marriage” as a state institution altogether before I would amend the legal definition of it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join