It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst gift you've received?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
What's the worst gift you've ever gotten? I was reminiscing about past holidays and remembered a a few gifts I almost laughed at. I realize it's the thought that counts, but my Grandmother is an AWFUL gift giver. One year she bought me a washcloth with a duck on it and a flashlight she got for signing up to some magazine (I was 20 and really didn't need a ducky wash cloth). Then there were velcro shoes that looked like orthodics (no receipt of course). I also got a decorative plate with a wooden stand for my 'bachelor pad' that year. The one that really almost got me into trouble for laughing was the fake fish tank with floating two dimensional fish. I was trying so hard to suppress my laughter that I ended up making a squeeling noise that she mistook for enthusiasm.

So what are your bad gifts?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Each year grandma gives our family the same set of steak knives...nice person - just thought this was funny.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The first ten years I was married, my ex husband bought the worst gifts ever.
Apparently, he thought me a house, not a person, so every gift was something for the house. He figured he was buying something useful, or he saw me as useless...not sure which.
So after that, I would buy my own gifts, and wrap them up and put them under the tree, just so the kids wouldn't ask Daddy why he didn't get Mommy a present.
:shk:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Ouch, that's no fun. Probably a good thing he's the ex now huh? I'm all for practical gifts but I'm a guy. If I bought my girlfriend something for the house I would be skinned alive and made into a Raustin rug.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

I was very tolerant..to a fault. But only for so long.
At least I always got what I wanted after that.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Between about 1990 and 1998 each year my cousin would give me a dead arm

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Last year my mother in law gave me a book of "Depression Era Recipies".

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Niiiice. Just what you'd always wanted I'm assuming.

I'm a little jealous of the steak knife grandma, I could actually use steak knives. I'm still a little nervous to unwrap my present this year, have a feeling I might get a new 'fish bowl'.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I got a shirt from my Great grandma.
It looked about 5 years old
Had "SINGAPORE" written on it, with some buildings and crap.
It was a female size like, 8.
V-Neck, Weird sleeves
So yeah, didn't fit so fell.
Its the thought that counts I guess, Lol.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Oh yeah - nothing like reading through a list of items for a simple soup that includes "Lard" and a few cuts of meat I'm sure no supermarket in their right mind would have on the shelves any more....

but on a lighter note, it wasn't as weird as the Pink Plastic Flamingo Wearing Sunglasses and Drinking a Margarita.

Bless that woman, she's weird - but she rocks.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
One year she bought me a washcloth with a duck on it and a flashlight she got for signing up to some magazine (I was 20 and really didn't need a ducky wash cloth).
So what are your bad gifts?

lol. Let's make a deal. Trade you're ducky wash cloth, with the Garfield calendar i got for present... What do you say ? The spider catcher i got last christmas i ain't going to give away...

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I didn't even have to think about this: A Corelle commemorative Bi-Centennial plate... twenty years later... it was a plate... it was heinous.

I still have it. You can't even re-gift something like that.

I love you daddy!

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES

OMG! I paid money for those. Three of them. They rock! Have you ever actually tried any of the recipes? Bless your heart, we might all be needing them real soon...

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Bless that woman, she's weird - but she rocks.

I could say the same about you

I got a Teletubbies toy once...that's also when I stopped believing in Santa. >_<

Oh, and I got the guitar my brother had been asking for all year.

BTW, I'm 14, not some 40 year old who believed in Santa until he was 30.

Roswell.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
its not what i got but, i had been asking for a DS all year, and Christmas comes, my sister opens her gift, and she has a Black DS Lite, made me more than a little upset, because mostly all i got was shirts, shirts that were too big because i lost like 30 pounds

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

hehe that might actually come in handy here soon.

This is a one line post. Well actually, my saying its a one line post makes more than one line, so I guess im good to go!

[edit on 21-12-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Actually once for christmas My cousin gave me a thing of wrapping paper...

She even went through the trouble of wrapping it with more wrapping paper.

I never understood what she was thinking when she decided to give me wrapping paper for christmas...

Another time when I was little I got a pair of elbow pads. I didnt own any thing that required the use of elbow pads. I didnt get anything for christmas that did either...

Something that my grandma always got me, it wasnt a bad gift per say, but it always bugged me. When I was little she used to get me remote control cars. However The cars she bought always had a cord that ran from the remote control and attached to the car, so you could only go about 10 feet. It drove me nuts. I just wanted a normal remote control car like all the other kids had!:shk:

[edit on 21-12-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The worst gift I got was this year. I am Cleveland Browns fan, which make life hard enough. My mothers friend bought me a media guide for them, but it was for 2000. Eight year old media guide. there is only one guy on that team that is still there, the kicker.
:bnghd:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
cigarettes from my dad. he would give them to me on my birthday too. i am talking when i was like 15 yrs old.
it was a bad ass gift for a 15 year old with a habit. looking back though i wish i would have gotten something else

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Fruit cake.
Second line.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join