It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could an advanced civilization have escaped our notice?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by masonicon
We must tell MythBusters to test the myth where the Radiocarbon dating is inaccurate!.

I'm a fan of mythduo but I'm not sure they could do more than what has already been done.

That is testing carbon rich subjects of known documented age and comparing it to the result from a machine test then calibrating using either tree rings or the other methods.

The myth of inaccuracy is one promoted by the creationist and young-earthers.

Certain conditions can makes Carbon atoms Decays Faster or Slower than usual.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by masonicon]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
If you wish to over look the archeological evidence available.
Ignore the fossil record and the rate of human development
through trial- error and evolution. You could then conceive that
a civilization of advanced Irish Leprechauns existed and or still does.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Certain conditions can makes Carbon atoms Decays Faster or Slower than usual.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by masonicon]

That is what the calibration takes care of

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

Trial and Error alone is way too dumb to Evolve Living Things!

[edit on 16-10-2009 by masonicon]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Is Atlantis, Lemuria, and Mu are at least type 1 Civilization?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Yes.

Oh, I mean, yes as long as "type 1" means fictional.

Harte

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Yes.

Oh, I mean, yes as long as "type 1" means fictional.

Harte

both Atlantis, Lemuria, and Mu are not Fiction.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Can anyone add more to this list or provide evidenced opinions of why the ones I've listed aren't valid.

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but has anyone considered this question...

Advanced by what standard?

Advanced and technological doesn't inherently mean a consumerist based society creating technological products for the masses thus necessitating the need to destroy vast stretches of land to produce these products for consumption and eventual waste leaving behind evidence of such activity.

Perhaps they were advanced by means of being more connected to and knowledgeable of the Earth. Using natural resources in a sustainable fashion wouldn't leave much evidence behind. Thing's such as flight would still be possible, electricity is a possible maybe. I could personally think of many thing's we do today that could (and in my opinion SHOULD) be done differently that wouldn't leave much trace of any real advanced intelligence behind it 50,000 or even a hundred thousand years from now.

I'm just saying, advanced doesn't inherently mean the utter rape and destruction of an entire planet for the sole purpose of greed and consumerism, so perhaps we shouldn't be looking for such a type of "advanced" civilization.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
i didn't make it through all six pages of posts so im sorry if i rehash an old statement. The chances of a civilization being around that we have not detected yet is not just likely but almost certain. First around 14-13k years ago there was a major natural disaster called the younger dryies(spelling) 80% of the mega fauna died in north America. There are lots of theories on what sparked this but most likely it was a meteor hitting glacier ice changing the draining of the melting ice caps to a more norther location and changing water currents causing the ice age to ramp up again then. a second strike smaller in sizes between 10-300 years latter in the ocean causing a genetic bottle necking of humans.
so.
1. any major civilization that existed would have been devastated and when the environment settled the water level rose covering up any remaining evidence.

2. the lavent area Egypt and India all talk of the nations that came before them that were washed away by a flood and advanced. (advanced= farming,writing and building).

3. plato was under pressure not to stir the pot too much with his ideas and religious views so the idea of Atlantis is a mix of Minoan's and a more antiant type mythology that was passed down that he may not have actually believed

4. Tech rises and falls with nations the Greeks lost there ability to write in the Greek dark ages. and as far as steam tec in Greece that's a fact they had a mechanized door for the temple of Zeus that used steam power. this tech was lost because its cool but it dos not when wars.

5.all myths start with some version of truth so likely there is some place most likely 2 one older the second from around 1500bce and is a Minoan city state destroyed by a volcanic eruption unlike anything any one alive has ever seen.

so with all things in stride there are traces of what Atlantis is but nothing like what some people are dreaming up.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

Trial and Error alone is way too dumb to Evolve Living Things!

[edit on 16-10-2009 by masonicon]

I am guessing you never worked in a factory before? How do you think most safety, storage, and assembly techniques are developed? Trial and error. Trial and error is only a slow method when the people who are doing it are slow on the uptake.

That said one thing about this whole Atlantis thing is how similar it is to modern geo-political struggles. I can easily see Atlantis being America, Mu=China, India=India, Greece= some kind of EU+ Islamic Caliph and all having a reason to make each other go boom. Almost as if we are stuck in a perpetual repeat.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Oh my this old thread is still kicking.

One odd comment I noticed

plato was under pressure not to stir the pot too much with his ideas and religious views so the idea of Atlantis is a mix of Minoan's and a more antiant type mythology that was passed down that he may not have actually believed

Under pressure? From what the flux? LOL

......and with that adieu

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
It is very likely that Antarctica is a goldmine of remnants of the ancient civilizations preserved in ice. Many of you probably heard about Piri Reis map which is purported to be a copy of a ancient map. It shows very accurate details of the topography of Antarctica before it was covered in ice....If you do some research, it is not too difficult to piece together that there existed a very technologically advanced world-wide civilization in the ancient past which was destroyed approximately 12,000 years ago.......also, if admiral Byrd's diary is not a hoax, I believe that his claim of visiting a highly advanced civilization in Antarctica cannot be dismissed. Why would a person of his stature make up a lie?....perhaps that civilization visited by admiral Byrd is a remnant of the civilization that perished 12,000 years ago....if a small group survived and continued to develop technologically, I imagine their technology will be many thousands of years ahead of us and they will be able to fool our probes and sensors if they had a reason to remain hidden. This will explain the massive number of UFOs and USOs being observed by people of the world. Because the UFOs are not extra-terrestrial, they are Earthlings who are the members of hidden civilizations... I believe the reason why they don't want their existence to be known by us is because to them we are people who live in a radio active wasteland thinking the level of radio activity is natural phenomena not knowing that it is a lingering radio activity from the ancient nuclear holocaust.....to them we are people who suffer radio active sickness whose hair fall out and live not longer than 70-80 years in contrast to their hundreds of years.....they don't want us to know where they are because they are afraid that they will be overwhelmed by people who would want to move to their habitat when we find out that we are living in a wasteland.....

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

It is very likely that Antarctica is a goldmine of remnants of the ancient civilizations preserved in ice

Probably not as the evidence for the ice sheet being there is over 500,000 years; could there have been an intelligent species on those lands earlier? No evidence of them, if they existed has been found.

Many of you probably heard about Piri Reis map which is purported to be a copy of a ancient map. It shows very accurate details of the topography of Antarctica before it was covered in ice

Piri Reis is not an ancient map but one from the time of Christopher Columbus and it doesn’t show Antarctica

If you do some research, it is not too difficult to piece together that there existed a very technologically advanced world-wide civilization in the ancient past which was destroyed approximately 12,000 years ago

If you would research reliable source, instead of fringe sites, you’ll come up with nothing to support that contention. At some point in the future we might find something but at present we lack any such evidence

Good luck in your search
edit on 23/5/11 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Originally posted by Hanslune
Oh my this old thread is still kicking.

One odd comment I noticed

plato was under pressure not to stir the pot too much with his ideas and religious views so the idea of Atlantis is a mix of Minoan's and a more antiant type mythology that was passed down that he may not have actually believed

Under pressure? From what the flux? LOL

......and with that adieu

I think the poster was referring to the same kind of pressure that got Socrates poisoned for 'corrupting the minds of the youth of Athens and of not believing in the gods of the state'. Which would have been bad enough had Plato come into his philosophical prime on his own, however, being Socrates' protege meant that he was 'guilty by association' in the eyes of the same kind of people who caused Socrates' death.

In other words, whereas Socrates could be described as a bit of a rabbelrouser, Plato could be viewed as more of a civil 'disobediant'. Thus, a possibility that he swapped some of the 'facts' around so as to make ancient Greece, at least at first glance, be the hero of the two dialogues in question would not be so incredible and, if Atlantis did exist, he would have likely had to alter the facts about it for the same kind of reasons. After all, if the PTB of ancient Greece were willing to kill someone just to keep the status quo and/or sate their egos, what would stop them from doing it again?
edit on 5/24/2011 by Mad Simian because: add quote

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Howdy Mad Simian

Plato’s story does play to the Greek crowd since he was writing for that audience. If Atlantis had existed it would have been gone for over 8,000+ years and would have been of little importance to the Greeks of his time. The lack of any mention in other Greek sources prior to Plato demonstrates a lack of interest or awareness of ‘Atlantis’.

The belief that the 'PTB' would have been interested in a place (if it had existed) outside of Greece seems unlikely within the culture of the classical Greek world.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Parta

Once theres was a great civilisation which egzisted from 7000bc. It is called the Vinca civilisation. They were relly peaceful and lived by the mother nature's laws. They are the real slavs. The letters they are very similar to today slavic alphabet and language. They lived in teritory wich takes parts in today Serbia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Bulgarija and Romania. That would explain a lot of things found there. They say that after the great flood or some other kind of cataclysm people of Vinca spread through the rest of the world but their rebirth is known as Minoan civilisation. You can check this whether on internet or in books it is all true. Here is a link from wiki but its is not the most true. Becouse i live in ex Yugoslavia i have many books on this subject which have the true facts.

en.wikipedia.org...ča_culture

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
When you say "evidence is missing" I would like to point you to the following historical events:

The Long History of Book Burnings by political and religious zealots

The Library of Alexandria burned down

U.S. Library of Congress Burned

No Access to the Vatican Library

A History of Military, Political, Religious and Social Censorship

The Inquisition: Destruction of "alternative knowledge"

In this type of atmosphere...which continues to this day...we cant expect to have a clear picture of ancient events.

I'm bumping this thread for 2 reasons:

1) it bears repeating, and

2) I wanted an easy way to reference this, later.

Great thread!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join