It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why was Cheney so Quick to Admit He was a War Criminal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Dick Cheney has publicly confessed to ordering war crimes. Asked about waterboarding in an ABC News interview, Cheney replied, "I was aware of the program, certainly, and involved in helping get the process cleared." He also said he still believes waterboarding was an appropriate method to use on terrorism suspects.

Why is Cheney so sanguine about admitting he is a war criminal? Because he's confident that either President Bush will preemptively pardon him or President-elect Obama won't prosecute him.

Both of those courses of action would be illegal.

First, a president cannot immunize himself or his subordinates for committing crimes that he himself authorized.

Second, the Constitution requires President Obama to faithfully execute the laws. That means prosecuting lawbreakers. When the United States ratified the Geneva Conventions and the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, thereby making them part of U.S. law, we agreed to prosecute those who violate their prohibitions.

When he takes office, Obama should order his new attorney general to appoint an independent prosecutor to investigate and prosecute those who ordered and authorized the commission of war crimes.

Link

There's a lot more in the article.

But I still don't think Cheney or Bush are going to be held accountable for their crimes. Since when have the elements of our government cared if they are violating the constitution? I hope I'm wrong but there's no way Obama will get his hands dirty with this.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I belive that Cheney really doesnt give a damn. In all honesty how many times have we heard right out of his mouth. "So what?"

So what? Thats right, he doesnt care! And he knows he is above the law of the land.

He also knows that by admitting like this it will only create further divsions thoughout our ranks.

They know that this will get stuck into the right vs the left ideas and politics. They will claim its all part of the game, and he admitted to nothing.
It will be turned into a liberal type deal where the left is just out to get them. So in essence this works in his favor.

The more you divide the people, the more and more they can get away with it..
Sadly enough, I feel the only justice that will ever be served will be those shoes thrown at Bush.. And even the shoes missed the target..
Thus we have what we have today.. A real mess. And the people divided more than ever!!!

You really think Obama is not another tool or puppet?
Im kinda laying off the whole Obama kick right now.. As people are still mesmerized by Obamas charm, and they feel he is our savior..
Again further way to divide us..

Edit- off topic foot note.. I had asked why didnt the USA government place WMD in Iraq and say.. See we found um! They could have with great ease placed WMD in Iraq and pinned the blame..
However they dont want to do that I found becasue it further divides us.
Really thats what most of this is all about Division.. And keeping the herd busy fighting and at ends with eachother..
Almost everything in this world serves that greater plan..
Divide them! Make them fight over crumbs!! While the fat cats sit in their ivory towers, looking for any way they can to further divide us as a people!

[edit on 20-12-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

You really think Obama is not another tool or puppet?
Im kinda laying off the whole Obama kick right now.. As people are still mesmerized by Obamas charm, and they feel he is our savior..
Again further way to divide us..

You couldn't be more correct than than. Look at just here at ATS how serious the threads get. The rift created here is the oldest the Unites States has... Racism. It's one that has never worked itself out. Nor has it gotten softer through time.

Cheney more than likely just doesn't give a darn. He's stood atop the pile and thumbed his nose so much for so long I don't think he cares anymore.

Bush can't pardon him, and I will cast my vote to say that Barack Obama (Bam-A-Lam) won't persicute him.

I view this as his last "So what?" You got me dead to rights... I'm admiting my guilt and... I'll get away with this too.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I know Cheney doesn't give a damn, that makes it even more maddening that he comes right out and says it. It's scary that he really is above the law. I just hope that people realize we shouldn't be fighting each other and see who the real enemy is.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Total Reality

I wish that very much myself my friend.. So much infact that I chose what I say on here very wisely. I try not to get into topics that have so much divsion that it turns into.. Im right your wrong type threads.

So much of that today.. And each person honestly feels they are within their rights to say so.. And its true, you can belive what ever you want to belive..
And there are plenty of people who belive in Cheney and feel he is a hero.
They love him to death, and will defend him to the death..
Hence.. You end up losing your mind in the end.
We all see it, yet we are powerless to do anything about it..
Truely frustrating.. And makes us all feel very helpless..

Yet kudos to you for talking about it, and bringing it to us here to talk about. There may come a time where non of us can even talk of such things.. Hopefully not in my lifetime.. But sooner or later they will divide us to the point where we are the ones to blame, not so much the ones in power. We honestly empower them to be above the law.
Yet not all of us do. Yet many of us in this world, just dont give a damn either. Bullocks if you ask me. But keep up the questions!

As I will give it some time, and give Obama enough slack to get tied into this aswell. ITs only a matter of time before Obama takes the ropes, and starts playing the game. But I will hold out on that for now. To many people are still charmed by this man.
I was charmed aswell! I was not immune to his charm! And that is a problem when a person like myself gets charmed by a man who has ties with builderburgers, and all the same folk who ran Bush Admin.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

I think you forget the second part of your statement
Divide and CONQUER is what TPTB are all about.
Wouldn't you agree?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Muundoggie

You right! I would fully agree. But I think most of us are already conquered! Overall the great divide that suffers this country is what keeps them rolling right along. No stopping them, when at every turn we are stopping ourselfs from stopping them..
Catch 22 type thing..

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here is some interesting reading for those with open minds.
It may give you a better understanding of planetary events.
Then again you could say that what she says is just too far out there.
Anyway, Enjoy
www.xeeatwelve.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
To directly respond to the OP.

Because he knows it's irrelevant whether he did or didn't. It is regardless, an event that did occur. Running from it is political. That's one thin he isn't - political. He is elite, and a leader. Common perception is immaterial to his goals - at this point - that is.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I swear if people keep calling anyone who voted for Obama "mesmerized" or some other term that makes it seem like you know something we don't...

I, along with much of the rest of the country, am not mesmerized. I know who I voted for, why I voted for him, and I am happy with my decision.

Shut up already.

The only one who is following blindly or mesmerized is you and it's proven by the fact that you use buzz words you can find on any common blog.

[edit on 12/20/2008 by Irish M1ck]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck

Shut up already.
[edit on 12/20/2008 by Irish M1ck]

First off, I wont shut up.. And secondly this is the very reason why I chose my words wisely. Now I am on the other side of the fence it seems.

You say one thing about Obama, and your told to shut your mouth..
Time will tell won't it?

Telling groups of people to shut up is very classy!!! Top notch sir.

Keep on staying classy! And why not try to focus more on the topic at hand.. Presay turning this into a pissing contest..
Thanks

Edit-- Let it be known, I voted for Obama.. I like Obama the man..
Im just not happy with his masters. IM not happy with who he decided to help him along. Monsanto, and many many others.
As I said.. Time will tell... So don't jump on me as if I'm some right wing neocon..

[edit on 20-12-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

You aren't talking about Obama, you're talking about me. Apparently you missed that part. I am tired of people telling me that I am uneducated and a "sheeple" for voting for Obama.

You don't know me, and you don't know why I voted for him.

So, please, don't tell me to stay on topic when you had to sneak an "all Obama voters are ignorant" into your post.

On topic, I agree that Cheney just doesn't care. Why hide something when you know you won't get in trouble?

Moreover, he clearly believes himself that he's doing the right thing. He thinks the war in Iraq was completely justified, that it saved the world, and that torture is appropriate in that situation.

He has no reason to lie.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

He's so blatant about it though, that he's above the law. Coming right out and saying that they authorized torture. What does it mean for our country if he's not punished, if all of them aren't? It is dividing us, but more dividing us and them. Like obviously a common person wouldn't get away with something of this magnitude. It gives you a hopeless feeling doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

With Dick Cheneys admission that he authorised the use of TORTURE including Waterboarding, should he be prosecuted as a War Criminal. It makes no difference WHAT provoked him to do such a thing and to invoke the 911 attacks as a reason or excuse does not carry any muster. Their IS and CAN NEVER be a reason to commit WARCRIMES, that is what our social fabric is held together by, isnt it?

PS sorry for posting this elsewhere, I will try NOT to make a habit of it!

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Total Reality
reply to post by Maxmars

He's so blatant about it though, that he's above the law. Coming right out and saying that they authorized torture. What does it mean for our country if he's not punished, if all of them aren't? It is dividing us, but more dividing us and them. Like obviously a common person wouldn't get away with something of this magnitude. It gives you a hopeless feeling doesn't it?

You are, of course, correct. Sometimes I get cynical. Truth be told, we are faced with a scenario that deserves lamenting.

Should the Federal Government of the Unites States support the actions by simply 'ignoring' them (of course they will hide behind some legal contrivance - like a pardon from the Prez); they will tacitly be redefining the 'character' of the United States. I'm not sure the people actually empower the President and Congress in this regard - at least not intentionally.

Should they attempt to adjudicate the matter, the political and media machinery will go into overtime - for aside from the potential to re-engineer society, theirs profit to be had in the public display. In the end, it is unlikely that those who tolerated the activity, both in public office and otherwise, are going to confess to having 'looked the other way.'

Internationally, who will prosecute the crime? In defiance of what pressures? Look at who is authorized "internationally" to bring charges and who is to hear them. Doesn't seem forthcoming if you ask me.

Now there will be plenty of commentary on websites like this (and more biased one's as well.) But will anyone of consequence even attempt to confront the 'masters'?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I will share a video here.. The young turks.. I enjoy this channle on youtube. Granted some might veiw this as a left wing ideas.
But here is the overview.

He has admited not only to this.. But so much more..and he Shoves it in our faces.. And is like that mob boss.
What you going to do about it eh?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
In case you didn't hear, Cheney is in the process of moving Haliburton to Dubai where there is no extradition law.

new topics

top topics

join